It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricanes Jova and Kennith, TS Lidia and Max!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:51 AM
link   
This is gonna be close. They're forecasting 300 or 350 miles from the Big Island as it passes us.

Here's the latest sat pic, with forecast positions.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Phew!!! looks like Kenneth and Max are going to avoid Hawaii.

I dreaded the thought of a hurricane train on the island, glad it didnt happen.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
weather underground shows huricane jova now heading twards the west coast. What the heck is that all about?

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
That won't be for awhile yet. It'll be dissipating by then. It's actually moving northwest now. There's still a possibility it can turn west right into us.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Java´s position according to Accuweather at 4.37 pm

And Kenneth´s position:

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   
You know, the only drawback to living out here, is that everyone forgets we're part of the US. heh. I didn't see one story in the mainstream media about how close Jova was getting to us out here, but they've been doing shows that were just about Rita for two days now. The last time we had a hurricane get close to us, we had an actual warning in effect, CNN talked about it twice in their rotation through the stories, then dropped it.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I haven't heard anything about the Hawaii hurricanes on TV. Just wondering what the status is

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
See? That's exactly what I'm talking about. heh.

Jova is a Tropical Storm now, and has turned more north. It will be 300 miles at its closest pass. Kenneth is supposed to have strengthened a little bit but it still East of 140 degrees so it is still pretty far away from us.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Tropical Storm Norma heads towards Baja

At this time looks the the sheer is too high and water too cool for her gain hurricane status.

www.npmoc.navy.mil...

Zaphod, glad to see your fine and Jova went north and disinigrated before she came close to the islands.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
On the westside of the states, like we see four in a row, at what point are they called typhoons?

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
On the westside of the states, like we see four in a row, at what point are they called typhoons?

Don't recall ever seeing a central or eastern Pacific storm switching from hurricane to being called a typhoon, suppose it's possible.

Anyway, here's the breakdown:

* hurricane in the North Atlantic Ocean, North Pacific Ocean east of the dateline, and unofficially in the South Atlantic Ocean

* typhoon in the Northwest Pacific Ocean west of the dateline

* severe tropical cyclone in the Southwest Pacific Ocean west of 160°E or Southeast Indian Ocean east of 90°E

* severe cyclonic storm in the North Indian Ocean

* tropical cyclone in the Southwest Indian Ocean and South Pacific Ocean east of 160°E.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I've seen it happen once. A Tropical Depression formed South of us, went out and hit Johnston Island, and kept going across the Dateline. Once it crossed it kept the same name, but became "Typhoon" instead. That's the only one I know of off the top of my head.

We were keeping a really close eye on Jova here and getting pretty nervous. We got some high surf, and a few thunderstorms, but that was it. Kenneth is on a straight line course for us, but according to forecasts, it's going to be at 50 knot winds for the next three or four days, and then weaken. It's still like a week away from us.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Thank God Kenneth is dying. It's forecast to be here this weekend, and have 25 knot winds. But it turned last night and is on a nice curving course that will take it right smack into us. If it holds it's organization there is a possibility of it reforming into a bigger storm beore it gets here though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Looks like your going to get wet on this one, Zaphod. The Navy has Kenneth approaching the big island at around 40mph sustained winds. Hope it doesn't make too much trouble in paradise.

Another chart:www.npmoc.navy.mil...

Surfs up! No schlocks allowed this time.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   
It hits the Big Island tomorrow, and gets to me tomorrow night and Saturday morning. This is upposed to be twice as bad as the floods of last October. In those floods, they had people come out of a restaraunt that couldn't find their car, so they were getting ready to call the police to see if it got towed, when some people came along and said "What kind of car is it?" and after they told them, one said "Oh! There was one of those in a tree down the road." The University lost millions of irreplaceable papers after it got flooded. The power units that were 8 feet tall had water marks over the top of them on the walls.

Guess we better batton down the hatches.

[edit on 9/30/2005 by Zaphod58]

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   
We started seeing effects from it tonight. Some thunder, lots of rain. They're forecasting waterspouts, funnel clouds, heavy thunderstorms, and there's a flash flood watch in effect until late Saturday night. We already had a couple areas lose power tonight, so that's not looking good for us. The wind isn't bad, and the storm is falling apart rapidly, but the moisture isn't going away.

Anyone wanna bet on whether or not this makes the news on a national level? heh. I'm positive it won't. Almost nothing from Hawaii ever does. No wonder people come here and get when we ask them where they're flying they say "The United States" or "The states". heh.

[edit on 9/30/2005 by Zaphod58]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join