It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Phony British Dentist Put 600 Patients 'At Risk'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Health officials in Britain are warning over six hundred individuals that a phony dentist who treated them may be at risk of getting hepatitis and HIV. Earlier this year the Iranian national Omid Amidi-Mazaheri, admitted to five counts of obtaining money by deception and his girlfriend, a qualified dentist Mogjan Azari, admitted four similar offences. The fraud started when Azari allowed Amidi-Mazaheri, a former laboratory technician, to carry out dental procedures on some of her unsuspecting patients.

news.bbc.co.uk
More than 600 patients who were treated by a bogus dentist are being warned they may have been put at risk of contracting HIV and hepatitis.

Omid Amidi-Mazaheri was jailed for two years in March for treating patients at practices in Norbury, Tulse Hill and East Dulwich, south-east London.

Health authorities say the 41-year-old, from East Dulwich, may not have followed infection control procedures.

Letters have been sent out to arrange blood tests for the patients involved.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Unbelievable here they only gave the man two years in jail when it is possible that he may have exposed hundreds to AIDS. If just a few test positive for AIDs, the number could multiply by hundreds if not thousands. Tragic just tragic.

I wonder if any of the patients test positive and perhaps even die will prosecutors be able to convict the pair one even more charges and if need be manslaughter or homicide?

This story kind of reminds me of Doctor in Australia who was nick named "Doctor Death" who was linked to 87 patient deaths in Queensland.

This is also good example of why foreign nationals should be watched closer by all countries. They enter our countries wanting a better life; only to turn to crime so they can live in luxury, while bilking millions of dollars from honest citizens.:shk:

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Obviously the British were good targets for a fake dentist because it’s apparent that a large portion of the population don’t see dentist too much. Either there’s a shortage of dentists there or they’d just rather have another pint and not think about it.

If I found out a fake dentist gave me HIV, I think I'd have to give him the death penalty as well.

[edit on 15-9-2005 by outsider]

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Obviously the British were good targets for a fake dentist because it’s apparent that a large portion of the population don’t see dentist too much

I dont really agree with that statement, Most people i know do care about there teeth and look for a good dentist,

The problem here in the UK is the number of changes happening around dentistry, Ie less NHS surgerys and loads now going private, Its getting harder for the avarage person to find a dentist that has space,
So intern people are looking out of there towns, and trying to find one who does not charge the earth for treatment,

Before i sign up to any dentist i really have alook in to things,

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
This guy still sounds better than my Dentist. He put me under for some routine dental work, and when I woke up later my pants were on backwards!

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
You must live in my neck of the woods Ras, as there always seems to be some dentist or doctor making the news for taking liberties with their patients.

Originally posted by asala

I dont really agree with that statement, Most people i know do care about there teeth and look for a good dentist,

It was just meant as a joke, asala - though there is a bit of truth behind it.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
That is horrifying, yes

And I do smile quietly to myself with the whole Brits=bad teeth thing.

Cos I'm a Brit, and all that.

(fear not. I've lived Stateside for too long. I've been fully indoctrinated into the necessities of Brighty Whities*, and I'm aware that not having straight white teeth will result in my permanent spinsterhood, 777 years of bad luck and probably a few nasty rashes too. Or so I'm told)

As with anything, it's critical that you check who your healthcare provider is going to be - ask them for references (most don't mind), check out their credentials, look at their track record. Most countries do have (available to the public, too) lists of medical professionals who've been struck off etc.

*if in the UK, this would become Blighty Brighty Whities, which is just too much of a mouthful to even contemplate. No pun intended

[edit on 15-9-2005 by Tinkleflower]

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots

This is also good example of why foreign nationals should be watched closer by all countries. They enter our countries wanting a better life; only to turn to crime so they can live in luxury, while bilking millions of dollars from honest citizens.:shk:

Am I the only one who finds the above remark offensive and in very poor taste?

If someone is a foreign national, they are not to be trusted? Foreign nationals are criminals and should be watched, but in the same time those who have had the luxury to be born in your country can commit crimes at will? Not to mention that even the headline is wrong - the "dentist" wasn't british, but from Iran. And if he would've been british, your whole spiel about foreign nationals would've been even sillier than it is now.

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Count
Not to mention that even the headline is wrong - the "dentist" wasn't british, but from Iran. And if he would've been british, your whole spiel about foreign nationals would've been even sillier than it is now.

Sure if you want to nit pick on a single word dentist that would apply, but as used it was meant to imply "Phony British Dentist" and not just dentist alone.

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Well, since he wasn't British nor a dentist, you're wrong in both cases.

The point of my reply was in the part you did not quote, but thank you for clarifying your agenda.

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Well, since he wasn't British nor a dentist, you're wrong in both cases.

The point of my reply was in the part you did not quote, but thank you for clarifying your agenda.

Perhaps you might take up the dictionary and check out the meaning of rhe word phony then apply it to "British Dentist"

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
And perhaps while I'm at it you could take time to clarify your standpoint regarding foreign nationals and their general trustworthiness?

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   

And perhaps while I'm at it you could take time to clarify your standpoint regarding foreign nationals and their general trustworthiness?

I have nothing against foreign nationals if they enter a country legaly and take the jobs they applied for. What I object to is when they turn to crime and bilk innocent people out of money.

If you checked the orginal story and the links that were on that page with related stories you would have found that he stole the identity of a British Dentist who had died. I do not know where you come from but around here it is illegal.

new topics

top topics

join