It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

35,000 Colorado Residents May Have West Nile Virus?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Scary thing? All those people and do they know they may/may not have it?

More Than 35,000 Colorado Residents May Have West Nile Virus

More than 150 Colorado blood donors initially tested positive for West Nile, an indication that more than 35,000 people statewide might be infected with the mosquito-borne virus.

Since July 1, (2003) 152 donors at Bonfils Blood Center tested positive for the West Nile, said spokeswoman Paige Van Riper. Follow-up tests comfirmed 88 percent had the virus.

The rate of positive tests accelerated sharply in August - 111 positives out of 16,000 donors. Assuming 88 percent of them are confirmed positive, slightly less than 1 percent of August donors had West Nile.

Extrapolated to Colorado's population of 4.3 million, thats means about 35,000 people statewide may have the virus in their bodies. Not that they all get sick. An estimated 70 percent to 80 percent of infected people do not display any symptons, health officals say.

This is an up-date to the West Nile virus that is spreading across the country.

www.rockymountainnews.com...

Bit strange to me, that there talking about 35,000 people have been walking around with this virus in there bodies and dont know it, and that it hasnt come-out yet?

Although saying that, I do know that there are many illnesses that people carry around all their lives and are never effected by them at all. Children (including myself) have many things to cope with growing up: chicken-pots, Mumps, etc etc. But where most children end up having these, some do not, and Im one of them (so is my mother, blackwidow) never had nothing like any of them, expect a cold or flu.

Are there many carries out there?

Who knows that they are carries and does anyone really care?

blackwidow's son

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 09:40 AM
link   
This is very believable to me. My neighbor has the virus, he had a nasty weekend of flu like symptoms. Colorado was very wet early in the year and the mosquito problem was severe. In the past month or two, the trucks have been out spraying for mosquitos every week or so.

I've read that the second year of the outbreak is the worst. Other states have had far more problems in the second year than the third. Hopefully that will happen in Colorado. Can anyone here explain how an epidemic like this peaks and wanes?

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 09:48 AM
link   
copcorn

That is what Im hoping to find out, if someone can explain how any expidemic peaks and then wane's

blackwidow's son

new topics

join