It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Me?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   
'Why me?'

That question had been rattling around in Sam's head every day for the past week. As he stood in his kitchen pouring sugar into his coffee he did not feel he understood any better than he did yesterday or the day before.

'A week, had it really only been that long?'

Yes, this was the seventh day that he had not seen the sunlight. His windows were dark, the doors would not open.

'What to eat?'

Not much left, it would be nice if they would let him go to the store for some milk. Cereal without milk was just not worth the effort. But even as he thought this he realized how silly it was. Even now he could hear them outside, a low rumble that seemed to ebb and flow like the tides.

At least he had not awoke with a headache today. That was a small blessing. But he knew that by the end of the day he would be sucking down aspirin to quell the pounding in his skull. In the beginning he was sure that his ache would kill him and even now he did not know how much more of this he could take.

"We do not wish to harm."

"I know."

He was alone in the room and once that voice would have terrified him, but after six days he was getting used to voices from nowhere.

Sam walked into his living room which was comfy if simple. Visitors had always wondered why he had no TV, no computer, not even a phone. He did not really have an answer for that. There was a time when he loved such things, just as there was a time when he loved her.

He was not famous, certainly not rich, but he had a good job, a fine old house that dated back to the time of the Civil War. In fact he had everything that everyone always said you should look for in a good husband, why was that not enough for her?

That day, that awful, awful day. She had stood in the doorway shouting at him. If she no longer cared as she said she didn't, why did she even bother to explain?

"I hate her."

"No you do not"

Sigh

The voice, as always, was right. He wanted to hate her but he could not. So he had withdrawn from the world, cut himself off from almost all human contact and simply went through the motions as he always had done. One day became like all the rest, then they arrived.

"I am afraid"

"No, you are not."

"Why me? Why not a Scientist, a Statesman, a Reporter even?"

"Intellect does not mean Wisdom, Wisdom does not remove Fear."

Even Sam could understand that, some things are too much even for the most learned. Fear could strike any of us and in the grip of that fear we forgot all of our ideals. Draining the last drop from his cup he sat it down on the table beside him. For a brief moment he closed his eyes.

"I am ready to begin."

"We are done."

Sam felt a rush of fear, he knew what done meant.

"No, I do not understand enough, I am not ready."

"Yes you are."

In a state close to panic Sam looked to the front door. The glow that had locked it solid for a week was gone! He should have noticed the quiet from outside, how had he missed that?

"What if I fail?"

"Then we die."

"But I have no right to decide this, it is up to everyone to choose"

"You are everyone, as they are you. As you choose, so will they"

"We are different! We are not like you."

"No, we are the same, we have always been."

Sam stood up, his legs shook, his breathing was harsh. It took everything he had to walk to that door.

"What do you choose?"

Sam reached out and swung the door open. The fear was gone now, there was only one answer to that final question.

He stepped out onto his porch and looked upon the faces that crowded as far as he could see. Hundreds of thousands of people, every color, every age, it was as if the Earth itself had come to a stop and only this place remained. That many people cannot be silent, but they were, all of them, looking at him, waiting.

Same felt a tingle, from the corners of his eyes a shimmer of light and then they were there. They were tall, graceful, and not human.

"People of the Earth! I have some new friends to introduce to you. They have come a very long way, and they need our help..."

As he spoke, as he began to explain the beings that stood with him, Sam finally had the answer to his question.

'Because I can'

(-) 2005 by Alexander Tau

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Alexander-

You already know that I think this story is excellent, so I shall not extoll its many virtues here. I would instead like to welcome you to the writing forums.

I am certain that we shall all be the richer for your contributions.

Also, you may wish to take note of the short story contest, which worldwatcher has graciously arranged to keep we writers from destroying one another ... for the time being.

Again, it's good to have you on board.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Thanks for the welcome, and of course for your other help.

I am considering a story for the contest but it is a matter of comming up with something that I really like.

A.T
(-)

new topics

join