It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad things that are happening in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Because there is a thread listing the "Good things that are happening
in Iraq" I figured a thread listing the bad things should also be started.
Especially since if you go to that thread and try to point something out
that just happensto be bad you get flamed.

So I ask that only bad things be posted here only.

I also want to say that I am not anti-american, I am not a republican,
democrat or liberal either. I am a human being that cares about other
human beings regardless of race or what country they come from. I
support our troops and wish that not one more die or have to kill. On
that note, lets get started.

First:
There are a total of 1,886 US troop casualities, not including coalition
troops. 1,747 troop deaths since the president declared "Mission Accomplished"
Source #1, Source #2

Second:
14,265 troops wounded in Iraq Source

Third:
According to Iraq Body Count there are between 24,712 and 27,963
civilians killed. This is a little harder to research though. I have found
many different numbers out there. I listed Iraq Body Count because I
know that they have been keeping tabs since day one of this war.

Another Site is stating that between 5,000 and 10,000 civilians killed.
Source

It really does not matter which one is correct, they both are
extensive and these numbers make this the deadliest war for
non-combatents the US has waged since vietnam.

Fourth:
Roughly 40% of the troops in Iraq are National Guard(N.G.) and reservist instead of defending the homeland. Source

Fifth:
40% of Mississippi's N.G. are stationed in Iraq as well as 35% of Louisiana's
N.G. Although according to officials this has not hampered the relief effort
in those states. I think that's a bunch of B.S. though.
Source

Sixth:
No weapons of mass destruction have been found. Source

Seventh:
This is more of a personel observation so there will be no source. The
united states has not been so ununited (for lack of a better word) since
the American Civil War.

There are plenty more reasons that I want to post, but I need to find my
sources first. I also ask anybody that posts to please make sure you
post your source so we can keep the list legit.

Also, I do NOT intend for this list to be an America bashing fest. I am American
and I love this country. Although I will never align myself with 80%
of the people in this country. I do not mind if you bash Bush, just make
sure it has to do with bad things in Iraq.

Edit: Re-worded issue four.
Clarification: Only bad things since the current war started. And please remember to add sources. Thanks.

[edit on 14-9-2005 by jmilici]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   
The people that got flamed in the Good things post deserved it for flaming the good things posters.

Now, I would have to agree with you there ARE bad things going on in Iraq. But, we all already know what the bad things are, at least, those of us that take time to educate ourselves about the bad things, have been seeing the bad things, for years now.

But to be fair, a good idea. Unfortunately it's about 40 years too late ... there have been all sorts of bad things going on in Iraq for a long long time.

Ethnic cleansings, mass murders of millions of innocent tribal peoples (MILLIONS not 3,000). Government sanctioned tortures and rapes as intimidation policy carried out by Saddam Husseins sons personally. Lopping the head off a female medical doctor for complaining about unsanitary conditions at Iraqi hospitals in front of her family in the front yard of her house. Connecting electrodes to the genatalia of males and turning on the juice.

All sorts of horrible things (and very well-documented by the British dossier which was posted on the internet several years ago).

None of these events were ever reported in the American news media over the past 30 years. Why is that?

Suddenly it seems so horrible, but, we are getting sucked into the pit of third world justice. We are climbing out of the pit but it's a tough climb out.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   
grad_student

When I say bad things, I mean since this current war started. Not for the last 40 years. It would be really easy for me to make a point about your post but like I said I want only since the war started please.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
40% of troops in Iraq (less than half) are Guard and Reserve, not 40% of all NG and AR. Get your facts straight first.

It's hard to tell by the tremedous levels of support we get from the states, and the unending thank you's and handshakes we get when we come home, that the US is so terribly divided. I've been home 6 months now, and have had only ONE person flip me off while I was in uniform (daily wear for me).

As for the MI and LA Guard members being low on numbers, well, that was just pure chance that Katrina hit while those boys were overseas. However, other states Guards quickly stepped in to help out, which made the low numbers moot.

Less than 2000 troops down, in nearly 3 years of combat.....simply ain't bad. IMO it would have been much worse had we drafted people into the military. Being volunteers, the large majority went in with eyes wide open, knowing they could be deployed to war at any time. This has led to a much more professional military, rather than people just burning up their time waiting to get out. Retention is off the chart for most units and Divisions, and enlistment is also quite high, despite the latest reports. The Army raised it's enlistment goal, and when we couldn't reach it, pundits screamed that we "failed". They didn't bother to see that we had easily surpassed the old levels by thousands of new enlistees.

The "Mission Accomplished" speech was strictly for the USS Abraham Lincoln and her crew. They were the first to complete their assignment, and return home....mission accomplished. That the anti's keep trying to spin the hell out of it, is pathetic at best.

Your source of the WMD report is correct unto itself. No WMD's were found by THAT team, and they never state that there are NONE, just that they did not find any themselves. Look at your computers tower, it can hold enough Sarin to kill everyone in New York, Los Angeles, and London. Now, how hard would it be for you to hide your tower in a land mass the size of California? Now you can see the difficulty the inspectors are having.

The only bad thing going on in Iraq, is the lack of resolve from the rest of the world to protect themselves from terrorism, islamic or otherwise.

Much, much more good there, than bad.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   

40% of troops in Iraq (less than half) are Guard and Reserve, not 40% of all NG and AR. Get your facts straight first.

Actually that is what I meant, that was just a typo. I also do not appreciate your tone at the end of your statement. Second please keep on topic. Like I said I am trying to put together a list of the bad things in Iraq since the war started. Also, like I said to grad_student I can make points to your post, but I will not. I want to keep on topic. Thank you.

top topics

join