It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana nursing home owners charged

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I just tripped over this and thought you folks might want to discuss:
www.canada.com...

NEW ORLEANS -- The husband-and-wife owners of a nursing home were charged with homicide for not evacuating 34 elderly patients who later died in hurricane Katrina's floodwaters. The arrests mark just the beginning of an attempt by prosecutors to hold those responsible for the New Orleans tragedy accountable.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I've known about that for a few days. They should be charged to the fullest extent of the law. It might be first-degree murder because they knew that those people would most likely die.

That's just my take.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I don't get it! What did they do? Pick straws and decide these people look guilty so lets blame them! IMO they were no different than anyone else! They are trying to pass the buck in IMO!

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Michigan_Granny
I don't get it! What did they do? Pick straws and decide these people look guilty so lets blame them! IMO they were no different than anyone else! They are trying to pass the buck in IMO!

Nope. These people owned this facility. They had an evacuation plan in place. There were ambulances available to take the patients out before the storm hit. Two separate times they were called asking if they wanted to evacuate. Both times it is reported they said no. There is evidence, in the form of the last time the "Today is August 29th" board was updated, that they evacuated themselves on the 29th and left their charges to die.

When the nursing home started flooding, nearby residents saved several of the elderly by floating them to safety on mattresses.

This was a hideous, inhumane act on the part of these two scum bags, and I hope they get everything Louisiana has to throw at them.

[edit on 9-14-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Let me better explain myself. There are way to many people at fault with alot more power than these two people had! They thought they could hold out, and I believe they tryed harder than FEMA, Red Cross or the Federal did!

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Then don't you feel anyone that has been neglectful should be charged in the same manner?

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I really dont know what to think on this one. Our local news reported on it tonight and apparently the nursing home was not in an area where it was manditory untill the last min. Also they said that once the water started rising, the husband and wife were able to save 52 patients before it was too late. So, if they really left 34 petients to die, then they should rot, but I really dont think that is the case. I also heard how they were offered school busses to get them evacuated. I cant believe that one either. I had the flu and was in bed watching tv for 3 days starting the day before the storm and I remember the news saying that they were trying to get a system set up so that busses could go pick up the elderly and those unable to leave their homes, but they could not find anyone to drive the busses. So, unfortunatly, I think this story was a bad attempt of switching blame.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
These scumbags should be drug out into the street and shot like dogs.

I give them a 50-50 chance of living to see trial.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Yes they should be charged! But I think many many more should be! How could our government just choose these two people? And then plaster it all over national news? Come on think about it, they were wrong, but so were many more! So what I'm tryin to say is if you are gona charge one charge all! And in my opinion our Federal Government is responciple for many more deaths than these two are. I say what is good for the goose is good for the gander!

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I want to see all, that thought they could withstand this dissaster, give themselves up in the name of the law, just like these two people did!

top topics

join