It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

V-22 Osprey Moving On Up!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWguy83

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Ah the " Widowmaker " Im suprised they didnt scrap this thing yet.

You mean the Harrier...

You mean the Starfighter.

Edit - Oops just noticed someone beat me to it

[edit on 15-9-2005 by Winchester Ranger T]

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Crashes happen. The F-14 and the F-16 both crashed during testing and look at them today.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

Originally posted by Danie
The UAV VTOL is an unmaned drone. currently we do not have the technology for an unmaned drone to fly close support missions for the US marines as the harriers have. I believe that JSF is not meant to replace the F-14 as it is the best air superoirity fighter the navy has. It might be meant to replace the f18 but im sure that the fa-18 will continue to fly missions for a couple more decades.

The F-14 has already been replaced by the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet. The JSF is meant to replace just about everything else, including the Harrier. The V-22 is badly needed. Just about ANY V/STOL airframe is going to have problems. The AV-8 when it first started was flown by the best helicopter pilots the Marines had, with no losses, after which time they said "Hey, this isn't a hard plane to fly." and let everyone fly it. THAT is when the crashes started, and kept happening.

f-14 has not been replaced by the fa-18 hornet

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
The Marines are always trying new technology, and paying for the gains in Marine blood. Just look at the accident rate of the Harrier. At this time I simply don't think the Osprey is the vehicle that can adequately deliver what the Marines want. Maybe in the future another vehicle will be better. Also the Marine Corps has been flying Vietnam-era (some with VC bulletholes patched) CH-46 forever in hopes that the Osprey will come online, and this has caused undue casualties as well because that thing is an antique.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
It hasn't been completely replaced yet no, but the last one will be retired by the end of next year. All the F-14 squadrons are transitioning to the F/A-18 Super Hornet, with most of them having already done so.

* VF-1 Wolfpack (Disestablished September 30, 1993)
* VF-2 Bounty Hunters (Redesignated VFA-2 with F/A-18F July 1, 2003)
* VF-11 Red Rippers (Redesignated to VFA-11 with F/A-18F in May, 2005)
* VF-14 Tophatters (Redesignated VFA-14 with F/A-18E December 1, 2001)
* VF-21 Freelancers (Disestablished January 31, 1996)
* VF-24 Fighting Renegades (Disestablished August 20, 1996)
* VF-31 Tomcatters (Active; scheduled for redesignation to VFA-31 with F/A-18F in 2006)
* VF-32 Swordsmen (To be redesignated VFA-32 with F/A-18F on October 1, 2005)
* VF-33 Starfighters (Disestablished October 1, 1993)
* VF-41 Black Aces (Redesignated VFA-41 with F/A-18F, December 1, 2001)
* VF-51 Screaming Eagles (Disestablished March 31, 1995)
* VF-74 Bedevilers (Disestablished April 30, 1994)
* VF-84 Jolly Rogers (Disestblished October 1, 1995)
* VF-101 Grim Reapers (Active Fleet Readiness Squadron; scheduled for deactivation in September 2005)
* VF-102 Diamondbacks (Redesignated VFA-102 with F/A-18F in May 1, 2002)
* VF-103 Sluggers/Jolly Rogers (Redesignated VFA-103 with F/A-18F May 1, 2002)
* VF-111 Sundowners (Disestablished March 31, 1995)
* VF-114 Aardvarks (Disestablished April 30, 1993)
* VF-124 Gunfighters (Disestablished September 30, 1994)
* VF-142 Ghostriders (Disestablished April 30, 1995)
* VF-143 Pukin' Dogs (Redesignated VFA-143 with F/A-18E in early 2005)
* VF-154 Black Knights (Redesignated VFA-154 with F/A-18F October 1, 2003)
* VF-191 Satan's Kittens (Disestablished April 30, 1988)
* VF-194 Red Lightnings (Disestablished April 30, 1988)
* VF-201 Hunters (Redesignated VFA-201 with F/A-18A January 1, 1999)
* VF-202 Superheats (Disestablished December 31, 1999)
* VF-211 Fighting Checkmates (Redesignated VFA-211 with F/A-18F October 1, 2004)
* VF-213 Black Lions (Active; scheduled for redesignation to VFA-213 with F/A-18F in 2006)
* VF-301 Devil's Disciples (Disestablished December 31, 1994)
* VF-302 Stallions (Disestablished December 31, 1994)
* VX-4 Evaluators (Disestablished September 30, 1994)
* VX-9 Vampires (Currently operates F/A-18C/D/E/F, EA-6B, AV-8B, & AH-1)

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Hmm you are right. thats strange i always read that the f14 had better air to air capabilities than the fa18.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah_John
The Marines are always trying new technology, and paying for the gains in Marine blood. Just look at the accident rate of the Harrier. At this time I simply don't think the Osprey is the vehicle that can adequately deliver what the Marines want. Maybe in the future another vehicle will be better. Also the Marine Corps has been flying Vietnam-era (some with VC bulletholes patched) CH-46 forever in hopes that the Osprey will come online, and this has caused undue casualties as well because that thing is an antique.

Yea due to the fact that the marines are doing the dirty work all the time it doesnt surprise me that they would want the latest technology on the front lines with them.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danie
Hmm you are right. thats strange i always read that the f14 had better air to air capabilities than the fa18.

The big thing with the F14 was the fact that it carried Pheonix missiles. After the Navy was forced to get rid of the Pheonix they found other missions for the Tomcat, including the Mudcat version. The F/A-18 is one of the most manuverable fighters in the inventory, and is an outstanding dogfighter, but until the E/F came along it didn't have the fuel capacity for long missions.

The biggest reason the Osprey is badly needed is the fact that for every hour an H-53 is in the air, it require 44 man hours of work performed. That's a completely unacceptable ratio. The -53 was and is a decent helicopter but it is badly in need of replacement. The Osprey is just like many other revolutionary designs. It has problems, but the biggest one is the pilots adjusting to the new things it can do.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   

At this time I simply don't think the Osprey is the vehicle that can adequately deliver what the Marines want. Maybe in the future another vehicle will be better.

The Commandant of the Marine Corps has announced that the MV-22 will deploy to Iraq by September 2007.

Marine Commandant Gen. James Conway announced at the Pentagon this morning that the MV-22 Osprey aircraft will make its combat debut in Iraq this September, when Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 263, with 10 Ospreys and 171 personnel, deploys to Al Asad Air Base.

"This deployment directly supports our Corps' number one priority, the Marines and sailors in contact at the tip of the spear," Conway said. "This is a great day for our Corps and for my aviation folks in particular."

The Corps' tiltrotor MV-22 alternates between fixed- and rotary-wing capabilities, a unique attribute that gives U.S. fighting forces the versatility of a helicopter, with the 300 mph speed and increased altitude of an airplane, reducing the threat from small-arms fire.

www.theconservativevoice.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

At this time I simply don't think the Osprey is the vehicle that can adequately deliver what the Marines want. Maybe in the future another vehicle will be better.

The Commandant of the Marine Corps has announced that the MV-22 will deploy to Iraq by September 2007.

Marine Commandant Gen. James Conway announced at the Pentagon this morning that the MV-22 Osprey aircraft will make its combat debut in Iraq this September, when Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 263, with 10 Ospreys and 171 personnel, deploys to Al Asad Air Base.

"This deployment directly supports our Corps' number one priority, the Marines and sailors in contact at the tip of the spear," Conway said. "This is a great day for our Corps and for my aviation folks in particular."

The Corps' tiltrotor MV-22 alternates between fixed- and rotary-wing capabilities, a unique attribute that gives U.S. fighting forces the versatility of a helicopter, with the 300 mph speed and increased altitude of an airplane, reducing the threat from small-arms fire.

Better go, without glich, otherwise, the whole program will be in trouble.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by PopeyeFAFL

Better go, without glich, otherwise, the whole program will be in trouble.

No aircraft is perfect.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   

So we are in September 2007, is the V-22 in Iraq, yet?

Will the army really used it, or will they pamper the mission, in fear of getting some, shot at, and destroy?

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
There is no indication that the US Army has plans to deploy the MV-22 anywhere, but the Marine Corps is set to deploy the tilt-rotor aircraft later this month.

They are not expected to "pamper the mission."

www.amarillo.com...

More

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   

There is no indication that the US Army has plans to deploy the MV-22 anywhere, but the Marine Corps is set to deploy the tilt-rotor aircraft later this month.

They are not expected to "pamper the mission."

www.amarillo.com...

More

Whit the latest article from Time (Flying Shame), I guess the Military will make sure not to prove them right.

www.time.com...

If half of what is written in that article is true, it will be hard to explain, after one or two more crashes.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Time magazine has no credibility with me.

I trust in the United States Marine Corps, not Time.

One might ask why Dick Cheney's opinion of this aircraft twenty years ago has any meaning to them, when nothing he says now carries any wieght with them.

[edit on 2007/10/2 by GradyPhilpott]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join