It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayor Nagin Moves to Dallas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Despite his rhetoric, it seems the mayor of New Orleans has already abandoned the city himself, buying a new home in Dallas, Texas:

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin greeted President Bush when he arrived in Louisiana last night, and was at his side as he fielded questions on the Katrina relief efforts this morning. That quality time with the president, however, marks the mayor's first visit to the disaster area since Wednesday when Nagin pulled up stakes and moved his family to Dallas. The Dallas Morning News reports that Nagin has already bought a house in the city, and enrolled his daughter in school.

When the Mayor appeared on "Meet the Press" on Sunday from Dallas, he was never asked about his presence there, or his decision to move his family.

Source: FOX

What kind of example does that set? Would you want a guy who fled the city and bought a home in a different state to be your mayor?

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Would you mind making up your mind? You are backing the evacuation of N.O. but it's perfectly OK if Nagin stays?

Reminds me of another thread today, by you, about a senetor(?) that used a helecopter for his personal use. Just happened to be a Democrat, I looked it up. Would you have reported it if he was a Rep.?

:shk: That's what is really wrong with America right now.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Well let's put it this way. At least he will fit in with the
corrupt city council and government agencies in Dallas. JMO

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Would you mind making up your mind? You are backing the evacuation of N.O. but it's perfectly OK if Nagin stays?

He's not just evacuating, he bought a new house out of state. I wonder if he ever plans to come back?

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Given that Texas seems to be dealing with the majority of refugees from NO, doesn't it make sense that he would want a permanent residence there? Then again, he could just be fleeing the sinking ship, I don't know enough about him to make a judgement.

-koji K.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Mayor By Mail?

It does seem a bit odd. Why not a house near New Orleans, at least?

It does give one the impression he's not planning to run for reelection.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Originally posted by intrepid

He's not just evacuating, he bought a new house out of state. I wonder if he ever plans to come back?

Hmm, rather a leap in logic wouldn't you think? What makes you think that he has abandoned his property in N.O.?

The last I heard, you were able to own property anywhere in the US, as a citizen or corp. If that is incorrect Microsoft is in deep trouble.

[edit on 14-9-2005 by intrepid]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Well good for him, now I imagine that it will be lots of people that will not even be considered to re-election again.

After the disaster of NO is clear that everybody including local politicians are a man or woman on their own, with no support and not help they are to become the fall guys.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Djohnsto77 if the city you are currently living in was completely obliterated by a hurricane, your home destroyed, was disease ridden with feces and other toxic chemicals, and had a good chance of being struck by another hurricane would you move back anytime soon? Just a question.

He is a human being after all, and until you go through what he did (seeing dead bodies etc) you have no right to get angry over his decision.

[edit on 9-14-2005 by CPYKOmega]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
If you're a mayor of a city, you don't buy a house in another state and move your entire family there, it's at least bad PR...can you imagine what you guys would be saying if a major terrorist attack hit the U.S. and Bush moved his entire family to a newly bought house in Europe?

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   

djohnsto77
an you imagine what you guys would be saying if a major terrorist attack hit the U.S. and Bush moved his entire family to a newly bought house in Europe?

Are we trying to connect tthe dots?

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 04:20 AM
link   
There are presently no schools open in NOLA. I'm sure he was only trying to take care of his family. I don't know why he didn't find a home in one of the other cities in La, instead of Texas.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   
This has got to be the lowest blow I've seen dealt so far in the big blame Nagin versus blame somebody else debate. Irrespective of Nagin's adequacy or inadequacy in the handling of the NO population before and after Katrina hit, what the heck difference does it make that he has bought a second home with a dry floor, electricity and an operating school system for his family to live in while he's back down in NO trying to figure out how to make a swamp functional?

I've got news for you, no matter what you pin on Nagin as far as the evacuation and follow-up response to the people in NO, he didn't flood the city. And not a damned person - including Nagin - has stepped forward and named who the person was that reversed the decision on the night Nagin, FEMA and the governor met and everybody at that meeting agreed that trying to get the SINGLE levee breach under control was the paramount task. Nobody has told me who it was that unilaterally undid that strategic decision, sometime between the end of that meeting and when Nagin woke up in the morning. We will never know how much the flooding damage and the number of dislocated, homeless people could have been minimized had everybody stayed the course on the unanimous decision of that meeting. YOU CAN'T BLAME THAT ONE ON NAGIN.

Now, with that rant out of the way, since every single citizen of the U.S. financially able to own multiple homes has the right to own those homes whether they choose, what is it about Nagin that would make you think he wouldn't have that right?

Because bashing him will divert attention from FEMA and the White House?

Because he's black?

Because his city flooded and he should make his wife and kids live in squallor until it's made right? Why??? He didn't breech the levee. He didn't undo the decision to try to get it under control.

What is it?

I think it's the first one.

new topics

top topics

join