It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Dutch to Open Electronic Files on Children

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The Dutch government has announced plans to keep a comprehensive electronic database of every child. Starting at birth the files would keep track of health, education, family and police records. The goal of the files according to the government is to spot potential troubled children and provide protection. The children will be given a Citizens Service Number, making it easier to track them even if they move.

news.yahoo.com
AMSTERDAM, Netherlands - The Dutch government plans to open an electronic file on every child at birth as a tool to spot and protect the troubled kids of the future.

Beginning Jan. 1, 2007, all citizens will be tracked from cradle to grave in a single database — including health, education, family and police records — the health ministry said Tuesday.

As a privacy safeguard, no single person or agency will be able to access all contents of a file. But organizations can raise "red flags" in the dossier to caution other agencies about problems, ministry spokesman Jan Brouwer said.

The intention is to protect troubled children, Brouwer said. Until now, schools and police have been unable to communicate with each other about truancy records and criminality, which are often linked.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Lots of red flags with this one. I am especially concerned with the "spot" are they implying that they will data mine the records to spot potential problems? The issues involving confidentiality are also a concern. Who get access to this? Can the parents review the files at thier discretion. Could this be used to deny employment and the like?

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Sounds creepy but if the right oversight can be implemented it could serve a greater good. Ontario for instance is having a huge problem with High School dropouts, if we could say use this system to look for potential problem students early on we could prevent more kids from "falling through the cracks" so to speak.

Quite allot of study has to go into this as well as extensive public consultation before any tests are conducted.

I think a poison pill should be built into it, that is when a child turns a certain age and doesn't have a criminal record then they should be able to wipe those records as they would have served it's purpose. At least the purposes that I'm thinking about, I can think of Hundreds of other not so benign uses as well.

This could decrease crime and drug addiction as well as boost the number of kids graduating high school if used properly.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
can we all say gattica lol.ouch i find this is another way to control our freedoms.good luck on that one dudes.....

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Big Brother is alive and well. If the database is used as originally intended it wouldn't be so bad, but governments have this strange phobia. They don't like to delete information that they could possibly have a use for. Its like juvinile records are supposed to be sealed once someone turns 18. We hired one of those background services to investigate a guy who was applying for a job. There were some issues with his resume and he was going into a position of financial responsability so we did the check. We got records of him being busted for truancy when he was 13. The other problem with this is the security of the information. That database is going to become the biggest hacker target of all times. You are going to have the ones trying for the challange, the ones who want the information to resell and the ones against the whole idea looking to cripple the system.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Not sure how to react here.

On one hand there is, and will be, a serious need for extensive database security. As previously stated, this would be a hacker's honeypot so to speak.

Here in the US we have seen many recent instances of so-called secure databases being almost freely accessed by unscrupulous individuals/organizations.

On the other hand, this does have it's positive and beneficial aspects.

If it prevents, stops, or hinders even one case of drug abuse, drop-out, or child abuse, then I personally feel they should go with it.

As a father of three (pre-teen to teen), even though I have complete confidence in my children's up-bringing, morals, values; I also have to realize there are those in this world that see things in a different manner.

It's a coin toss from my standpoint. If the security is shown to be sufficient, then I would not have a problem with it.

In regards to the previously stated concerns, regarding deletion of any/all files, upon reaching the age of maturity [per se] . . . yes, this will definitely need to be addressed.

However, again, as has been stated in prior posts, "they*" seem to have a hard time with "deleting" any information "they*" have aquired.

*they = replace with whatever suits your geographic location?!

Peace2All

[edit on 9/14/2005 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Where did the statement "There's something rotten in the state of Denmark" come from? I've always wondered about that.

I'm not sure if this system will help straighten out wayward kids, or just help identify new prospects for the abusers.

Is it going to restore the nuclear family structure lost to the chase for the almighty dollar?

Is it going to restore the core values lost to materialism and commercialization of all aspects of life?

Is it going to restore the ethical behavior lost to watching our leaders and elected officials stoop to the methods of common criminals?

Is it going to restore the moral fiber lost to watching life become less meaningful than death?

I don't think so. I do think the above is what's causing all the problems with our youth, though, and we don't need to put them under a microscope to figure that out.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Icarus Rising

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Of course it comes to no surprise, that on a conspiracy website with lots of hysterically paranoid conspiracy-seekers on it, such news gets the typical "big brother is watching you" and "don't take our freedom" replies.
Reality is that these plans were made after several extremely sad incidents regarding children in escalating situations, often ending in a violent death of the child.

I think it was allready said, but this system is made to protect children, not to limit anyones privacy. Nothing changes regarding privacy anyways, this system is merely a cooperation between allready existing systems, connecting them to eachother to be able to follow childrens situations and eventual problems better.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Would this database stop recording data after the children are 18 years old? or at least old enough not to easily fall prey to predators etc?

And when these children are old enough would this data be erased?

[edit on 15-9-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I have no doubt the program has, or is designed to appear to have, the best of motivations behind it. That is not the point. The road to disappointment is paved with good intentions.

What matters to me is how the program ends up being used, how effective it is, and ultimately how beneficial it is to the children. Its all about outcomes to me, you see. I don't care how hightech it is, I don't care how many aspects of behavior it can track, or how it is triple-shielded to protect privacy. Is it going to work as designed and intended?

I just don't think this is the answer. I think the opportunity for misuse of the system, the probability of it, is way too high.

I think the money would be much better spent funding a higtech education program for at risk youth featuring real-world situations that would focus on helping them learn and understand the intrinsic folkways and mores of a functional society. They so desperately need to internalize and practice these fundamental concepts in the face of a world constantly tempting them to betray the very principles they're based on.

How about some kind of 3D interactive hologram generator that at risk youth could use to practice overcoming negative temptations and responding properly to the real-world challenges they face? You know, the same challenges that are getting them in trouble and putting them at risk in the first place.

Elite soldiers, pilots, astronauts, and IVR gamers all utilize simulators to hone their skills and prepare for important missions, don't they? Why can't we apply the same technology to protecting our youth from crime, drug addiction, and exploitation? Why don't we?

new topics

top topics

join