It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Environmental Devistation Coverup

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Hello!

I am new to the forum, I've come here to the website in the past a few times and lurked around but not much. I just recently saw the environmental threads on Katrina, and although I'm sure there is enough of them already I'd like to post up some points.

I DO feel there is a coverup here. I've been ranting and raving about this on myspace however there are few around that seem to care about the environment. Except this time the coverup means complete environmental devastation to all...

I do not claim to be an expert, nor an environmentalist, but I have some points that I want to make to see if anyone follows me on this or agrees.

I think there is a major cover up right now regarding the Nuclear Power plants. I have a LOT of information to share but I don't want to flood the board with information. I'll start out slow and post up something I sent around Myspace. Over the past 6 days of intense research online, I see a major coverup here. I saw some people said "what coverup" in an environmental post here and I beg to differ. This is what I've gathered and you can laugh if you want but this is what I see taking place.

I've backed it up with a lot of research and if you give me the time to explain I will. I hope I'm welcomed here because many that I've talked to seem to not care or want to ignored it, but there are a few people who contacted me and agree and are further looking into the truth only to find out what I so desperately hope I am wrong on.

The issue at hand is both the nuclear power plants from Entergy Corp. located in New Orleans as well as the low level waste dumps, and prior dumping of nuclear and toxic materials in specific areas.

Now why do I think there is a coverup? Here are some points I first made, I've come along way since I first posted these thoughts up. There is a number one thing everyone has to realize:

The IAEA -International Atomic Energy Agency came out with some information on the 16th of August. A bit too late but they basically called for a meeting for the world to go over some threats to nuclear plants that they weren't that aware of before the flooding of the Tsunami. They recalled for the Nuclear community to address some issues that were only "worst case scenario" prior to and they had no real information on.

The issue at hand is the fact that our government (FEMA, Nuclear Regulatory Commission, and other big guys) only considered "flood" as a
"what if" before, never having any real information on what would be the after effect of a bad flood to a plant. Listing it in all prior pamphlets and such as a possible worst case scenario if a nuclear plant would be flooded but never having much information to back this up. HOWEVER France did scream to the United states in December of 1999 about " Le Blayais "a plant that got flooded and after effects, and the United States ignored them.

There is a HUGE cover up taking place now in my eyes and I have every bit of information to back this up, if anyone will actually hear me out. Nothing about the nuclear waste is being addressed in the media. They talk of only "waste" but there is a major problem going on and the company Entergy is lying all around along with the Nuclear Reg. Commission. Their idea of "damage" and "emergency" are completely flawed to the idea of public health.

I will show you everything from start to finish on how and why they are lying. Would anyone here be interested in hearing me out? I hope I'm not over stepping my place as a newbie to just jump into the forums but I've been trying to spread this information on Myspace, however it is overrun with kids and people not looking at the big issues at hand. Everyone is still fighting about things such as the media, whose to blame federal or state, issues like 9/11 truth still trying to figure out if it was a Government coverup, and the New World Order stuff.

I think this is a HUGE coverup that will effect the health of every single one of us, and I guess this is how environmentalists have felt for years because no one seems to be listening up.

Please allow me to share what I've got so far, it might take me a bit to get it all together but I'll start with my initial post days ago about this issue and then go on to back everything up with documented proof from the government.

Please just respect me as not being a stupid person jumping the gun or anything, I am also a military veteran myself and worked in a Special Operations Wing in Aerial Delivery (parachute rigging and humanitarian efforts) as well as having my license from the FAA for RADAR Air Traffic Control. (If anyone wants me to point out whose fault it really is, I will copy and paste a letter I sent off to congress as someone who worked in humanitarian efforts for the Air Force and someone who knows what resources were available to help those effected by Katrina- a whole different issue in itself).

I do know a few things about the government, as well as being personally familiar with coverups. I do not put it past them one bit, some may think I'm jumping the gun or being overly worried, but I'll tell you right now there is a coverup going on, an environmental coverup and you can bet your pants it is going to effect us all.

Thanks for reading, I'll post my information here if anyone opposes this just let me know by posting "NO". I'm hoping that starting a thread will be okay but if not just let me know and I'm sorry if I'm overstepping the rules as being new and just jumping in like this.

Christine

[edit on 14-9-2005 by XGovGirl]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Welcome to this forum.. Its alot of fun.

Anyway I believe there is some Evironmental issue, but I dont think its anything serious.

I think they are using this to completely rid the grabage so to speak out of NO.

Also a testing ground for other things you can read on this forum.. and also the 6 day wait was a good form of population control.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I beielve that the NRC had just given Entergy permission to restart the Waterford plant which was shut down prior to the landfall.

I doubt that they would do this if there was a safety issue.

Do you have any specific data on this, or are you just concerned in general?

Besides, the people down there need the power.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS,

I want to hear your information. I'm interested in whatever you have to say. Be prepared for some to not be openminded, and expect others to immediately discount that there is any sort of conspiracy. Information is power. Sharing information and asking questions will get us answers. Some won't want to hear the questions or answers but others will. So, what have you got?

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I have to agree with Mirlin11, when you post something make sure its backed up.. cause some people like to give a hard time just on thoughts.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
-------------copied from bulletin posted-----------------------------

I have a lot more information, facts, news articles, governmental information, photos, and other proof to come so just hear this out
to get started.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRUE TIMELINE OF HURRICANE KATRINA EVENTS NO ONE IS PAYING ATTENTION TO

-We had a delayed reaction from the top dogs in calling in more troops

-The national guard sat there low numbered by themselves without backup

-The country watched on tv as people died, they were outraged and calls
came into the Pres. and government about why nothing was being done

-The President and his men (our leaders all of them) already knew the
damage done they didn't need a call from the public but that motivated
them to act quicker (I was military so I know for fact there was a delay in the order made -confirmed this myself with active duty friends across the country- but couldn't grasp WHY at first myself -now I know).

-The president at that point (day 4) immediately had to send in the Active Duty military and additional National Guard because the public was screaming angry!

-The entire country starts fighting with each other back and forth, race
becomes and issue, everyone is screaming WHY WHY WHY while the
relief efforts are underway.

-All the musicians across the country unite to make money for the victims

-People open their arms for those left without a home

-Yet everyone is still fighting about whose fault, the state or federal levels

all while the whole "delay" that took place I only see now in hindsight....

-Is because the President DID fail to call in for more troops, but for a reason

-And FEMA DID fail to allow people to help and pushed away relief efforts of our own people ready and willing

-At this point the Pres. looked like a jackass to the whole country so he starts acting fast

-One very bright idea that goes against our military history and foundation was to allow a convoy onto our soil, for relief efforts or not, it doesn't matter. This was an attempt to "do good" in light of the very serious problem at hand. We let an armed convoy to cross our border, something our military history goes against friendly or not this puts the country at risk for not gaining intelligence before making the decision, as well as opening us up at a vulnerable time. This has nothing to do with the Mexican Army but has to do with our military history of not allowing any armed convoy onto our soil, a military and homeland security tactic to say the least.

So what is the big picture of it all that so few are addressing as yet?

we have a total nuclear crisis on our hands, waste and contamination by air and water, yet a whole new beast at hand due to flood water damage of plants, something that hasn't been seen much in the past before

This should explain a lot of questions and I will sum it up more specifically

Due to all of the nuclear plants located in NO (not to mention MS and AL) and the fact that our government has known for a LONG TIME that entire place was built on low level nuclear waste disposal as well as having nuclear plants built below sea level, while they cut funding for the levies the years, this place was basically an accident waiting to happen and everyone knew it

At the point where our leaders knew the widespread damage as soon as we got did a fly over, you can bet your pants that the President and leaders including Homeland Security TOP dogs knew what they were looking at. Not just oil spills, and not just chemical toxic waste, but a hell of a lot of nuclear waste disposal from the past as well as the fact that two large Enertgy plants went under water. I will explain more about Enertgy soon just hold tight....

Why the President really failed to "act fast" was for a more basic and simple reason then just race or him being an asshole, he actually probably did more of the RIGHT thing in this case which was - don't jump in too fast until we know the real dangers. Once we realized that we were already f----ed, everything else went to hell from there.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Just beginning

Why would the President would be there if there was danger?

Good Emailed Question:

Date: Sep 13, 2005 3:06 AM

this is certainly some interesting information..and if there were leaks, it may be a major reason why they held people out, but there are at least a few things it wouldnt leave justified..

-if they knew it was a nuclear danger in the making, they NEEDED to make sure every single person was evacuated before the hurricane hit. the call the govenor made to the prez asking for such help two days before the storm hit is proof that they could have assisted in getting those poor people out of there.

-they should have still air lifted food/water to those people, as well.

-they should have never taken the money away from the levees the past few years, even more so(if thats possible to be more crucial then it already was) if they knew there was a nuclear danger.

-FEMA shouldnt have continued the Sexual Harrassment training course in La. with the firefighters from around the nation(which would just leave them exposed too) while this was going on.

thats just a few ways in which they still conciously failed and allowed for innocent people to die, even with a potential nuclear waste leak. i think you'll agree with me on those things.

oh..this just dawned on me after i wrote all this..lol..has the president visited those areas? i know hes gone somewhere down there. if he has visited places with the "nuclear spectrum", i would say they know for sure there wasnt a dangerous leak(unless they want him dead, which i doubt seriously). as a matter of fact, hes been around people like brown who i believe did a walk thru of some of those areas at some point, so i'm guessing they had to have known there wasnt a leak(or else they'd be playing radiation hot potato with the prez..lol). whats your thoughts on that? let me know ok.

and thats another thing they should have done...no matter what..immediately sent people in to test for leaks.

ok i look foward to hearing back from you on this. thanks..
i hope all is well with you down where you are. and no contaminated water has gotten in your area. it might be best to drink bottled water for a while..stuff from up north i would say. no matter whats in the water down there its not good. take care and be safe ok.

=====================================================

My reply:

I think every point you added are all great ones and things I've thought about. When this is all said and done this entire thing would be the responsibility of the federal government from history and years and years of neglect of safety in light of technology.

The issue at hand is that this isn't so much radiation in the sense of a nuclear bomb being dropped, it is the sense that it was low level waste dump that has been used for so many years on top of the "leak" information.

See so many are confused because they can only grasp the idea of radiation leaking into society, which I do believe we have an issue of here but the overall issue being the entire contamination from air and water.

So many will blow this off and think "radiation" in the sense that they can think of past occurrence's with, this time it is a completely new issue in itself.

To answer your question once the problem was fully known, the president had no other options but to go down as per the people of the united states were in complete up uproar, he had no choice if he wanted to spend another day in office.

But I believe at the point they knew the full range of the damage done in this situation. It would mean it was too late for everyone- so in the matter
of the president going down- he did it to ease the people although either way it would effect him in Texas in DC and he couldn't (just as everyone) run from it per say because it will be the poisoning of our entire country.

There is no going somewhere else or running away from this, it will effect this whole place sooner or later so by him going down it really didn't mean a thing. You also didn't see him swimming in the flood waters either, as for where he went specifically I don't know but the answer to your question is below....

The gas leaks are just a tiny bit of the trouble here there was never any real information about what kind of damage a flood could bring upon a nuclear plant. If you go back to FEMA handbooks about nuclear
threats, and go all the way to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. "Flooding" is known as a "way if" and possible "worst case scenario".

However the answer can be found finally, a bit too late. One week before Hurricane Katrina hit the leaders in the world of nuclear atomic energy called for a "recall" per say of the worlds scientists to discuss their new findings.

The International Atomic Energy Agency called for a world meeting to discuss the new found dangers of what they found flood waters can do to a nuclear plant and surrounding environment based on Tsunami.

Unfortunately for us, this meeting was not held before all of the Nuclear plants along the Gulf Coast were hit. It was called for just prior to Hurricane Katrina's landfall.

So in a big way you can say we got the information too late or maybe you can put it "we've ignored the information too long."

You can also look to a small flooding of a nuclear plant in France called Le Blayais in December of 1999. They made some mistakes and that was a very isolated incident, our new situation is no where near what they were dealing with and even they realized what a ultimately devastating thing this was. The United States ignored them back then.

Put it this way, this time...not even the President could be saved. He would never be able to step foot on US soil again without being effected, so he may as well have just gone in.

Everyone that lives in this country is screwed. It just depends on how many days, weeks, months, etc. it will take to effect them. We just killed all of our natural resources and that will kill us all over our lifespan.

I do believe we shall begin to see nuclear contamination deaths within the next few weeks so hang on tight.

If people don't take this serious now, we will die, if we ignore it, we will die. Start doing intense research, it's bad....very bad.

From the International Atomic Energy Agency
Risks to Nuclear Reactors Scrutinized in Tsunami´s Wake 16 August 2005
link:

www.iaea.org...

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
how do I turn html code on for img's

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Nuclear Plant sites have gone up in flames not just "chemical" as we are being told....... just as we are told "waste" and not also "nuclear waste" by the media just "toxic waste". Each Nuclear plant has 47 sites within itself.

Gas leaks are the least of our worries now I believe everyone is lying from FEMA straight on up.

Nuclear power plant sites went up in flames not to mention being completely flooded something we knew nothing about the devistating effects of before.

Entergy boasted about "no damage" on their website, this is Entergy's idea of "no damage" do you believe them?

photos

www.entergy.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

www.entergy.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

Look to other areas where their plant is located and ask yourself if you truly believe their idea of "no damage". No damage does not include flooding, nor fire. Just as long as they can get the electricity up and running again and has zero to do with our health. Including log reports from the Nuclear Reg. Commission.

Also if "no damage" why the need for this "attack", the fact that Entergy is only allowed to respond to the fires, and the fact that we already know now (too late) the effects of flooding to a Nuclear facility. Entergy hasn't even gotten INTO all of their sites, no less can they say it is "safe" or use the term "no damage".

----------------------------------------
Entergy Launches ‘Attack' to Stabilize and Restore Natural Gas System

Crews repair leaks, preserve gas supply for pumping stations

Baton Rouge, La. - Entergy New Orleans Gas Operations has launched a comprehensive effort to locate, control and repair gas leaks in New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. At the same time, Entergy is preserving gas flow to the New Orleans Sewerage and Water Board (SWB) in order to allow power generation for the drainage pumps that are critical to the mission of pumping water out of city's flooded areas.

According to Vice President of Gas Distribution, Ed Melendreras, Entergy is using helicopters, amphibious vehicles and specialized divers to locate and control gas leaks.

''Our first priority is public safety,'' Melendreras said. ''This week we have literally launched an ‘attack' on New Orleans to rapidly identify and secure gas leaks wherever possible. We're using highly trained experts, the most advanced technology, and skilled crew members to implement this attack plan. Although the leaks we've found are generally in flooded areas and pose no immediate safety threat, we're focused on controlling them.''

Since Friday, divers have stopped 17 known gas leaks in the city. Entergy is also investigating ways to isolate parts of the gas system that have known leakage.

Since the flooding began, several large fires have broken out in the city and Entergy Gas Operations personnel have responded to many of these fires. Entergy responders report that there is no indication that -- of the large fires they have investigated -- they have been related to natural gas. Entergy has checked the areas near those fires to verify there are no gas leaks. Crews continue to patrol for leaks throughout the city.

Entergy has completed assessment and secured the natural gas system in Algiers, Uptown, the Central Business District and the French Quarter. The company is continuing damage assessment and repair in areas of the city that are accessible. Company crews will move into other areas of the city as flood waters are pumped out. Repairs will be prioritized and crews will work to return the system to normal operation.

Entergy may have to shut off gas service in some areas of the city before repairs can be made. Entergy Gas Operations has already shut off gas to New Orleans East and the Ninth Ward to help with public safety and aid in restoration of the gas system.

There are many boats and vehicles conducting rescue emergency services in the City of New Orleans. Entergy asks military personnel, police, and all emergency workers to help us by reporting natural gas leaks. Anyone who smells gas or sees bubbles coming up in flooded areas should contact us at 1 800-ENTERGY (1-800-368-3749) and report the location of the suspected leak.

Entergy Gas Operations serves approximately 147,000 natural gas customers in New Orleans. Entergy Gas is working in coordination with Entergy electric restoration workers who are also working in the New Orleans area at this time. Extra resources continue to arrive in the Entergy service territory, and the restoration efforts continue to gain strength.

Entergy Corporation is an integrated energy company engaged primarily in electric power production and retail distribution operations. Entergy owns and operates power plants with approximately 30,000 megawatts of electric generating capacity, and it is the second-largest nuclear generator in the United States. Entergy delivers electricity to 2.7 million utility customers in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. Entergy has annual revenues of more than $10 billion and approximately 14,000 employees.

-30-

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Simple because the only thing that CAN cause a real problem is actual flooding damage because of the fact that most plants protect this type of waste for "Emergency" situations by covering it up with tons of metal and encasing it with concrete. That means nothing when water floods in.... and floods back out of a plants and does nothing to protect the Spent Fuel Pools

Spent Fuel Pools

The water-pool option involves storing spent fuel rods under at least 20 feet of water, which provides adequate shielding from the radiation for anyone near the pool. The rods are moved into the water pools from the reactor along the bottom of water canals, so that the spent fuel is always shielded to protect workers.

About one-fourth to one-third of the total fuel load from the pools is spent and removed from the reactor every 12 to 18 months and replaced with fresh fuel.

Current regulations permit re-racking of the spent fuel pool grid and fuel rod consolidation, subject to NRC review and approval, to increase the amount of spent fuel that can be stored in the pool. Both of these methods are constrained by the size of the pool.Spent Fuel Pools

The water-pool option involves storing spent fuel rods under at least 20 feet of water, which provides adequate shielding from the radiation for anyone near the pool. The rods are moved into the water pools from the reactor along the bottom of water canals, so that the spent fuel is always shielded to protect workers.

About one-fourth to one-third of the total fuel load from the pools is spent and removed from the reactor every 12 to 18 months and replaced with fresh fuel.

Current regulations permit re-racking of the spent fuel pool grid and fuel rod consolidation, subject to NRC review and approval, to increase the amount of spent fuel that can be stored in the pool. Both of these methods are constrained by the size of the pool.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Do not fall for the hype that started prior to Katrina hitting

Just the beginning of the logs I've saved from the Nuclear Reg. Commission. They have also cut off access over the past few days to
a few logs which I believe give us an even better understanding
of what is taking place here.

If you can't understand the technical terms used here you can just use some common sense ..........loss of power = damaged,flooded,etc.

September 2005

PNO-IV-05-012C 09/08/2005 Final Update - Exit of the Notice of Unusual Event at Waterford-3
PNO-II-05-005 09/02/2005 Duke Energy Corporation, Oconee Unit 3: Reactor Trip with Emergency Core Cooling System (ECCS) Initiation, Notification of Unusual Event
PNO-IV-05-012B 09/02/2005 Update - Notice of Unusual Event, Plant Shutdown, and Loss of Offsite Power at Waterford-3
PNO-I-05-026A 09/01/2005 PSEG Nuclear, LLC/Hope Creek: Shutdown Expected to Be Greater than 72 Hours to Repair an Inoperable Drywell to Suppression Chamber Vacuum Breaker
PNO-III-05-012 09/01/2005 Exelon Generation Company, Dresden: Shutdown Expected to be Greater than 72 Hours to Replace the Unit 2 Main Transformer

August 2005

PNO-IV-05-012A 08/30/2005 Update - Notice of Unusual Event: Plant Shutdown, and Loss of Offsite Power at Waterford-3
PNO-IV-05-012 08/29/2005 Notice of Unusual Event, Plant Shutdown, and Loss of Offsite Power at Waterford-3
PNO-I-05-026 08/29/2005 PSEG Nuclear, LLC/Hope Creek: Shutdown Expected to Be Greater than 72 Hours to Repair an Inoperable Drywell to Suppression Chamber Vacuum Breaker

Understand that the terms Drywell and Suppression Chamber are NOT GOOD SIGNS ....

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
``

to my knowledge there's no distress occurring to the Waterford Nuclear Generating plant.
i expect any low level radioactive waste was put into those mega-year
containers, and the stuff is eventually going to that Nevada mountain where all the nuclear wastes of the USA are to be entombed for the next century (or whenever its filled up) whichever comes first.

Are you actually addressing the Agriculture Street Landfill??
that 95 acre, long ago buried toxic waste dump, which lies beneath a lot
of the flooded areas in New Orleans??

could a lot of low level radioactive waste be covertly buried in the landfill?
Barium was the only exotic element disclosed in environmental analysis reports ( google up; toxic landfills in new orleans) none of the other long list of toxic chems or elements found in the soil had anything remotely associated to Nuclear stuff.

you might try & develop an arguement that pinpoints nuclear waste being dumped (a long time ago, before the bureaucratic record-keeping) in the metro New Orleans area...which, you propose, is the real cause of the hesitancy and standoff-ishness of the fed/state/corps with the NOLA floodwaters.

hello & welcome
victoras

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Consider before the hurricane hit they shutdown knowing they could only withstand winds of up to 110 MPH. Even with shutdown you have to consider so many other issues here. The flooding damage alone. Beyond just that, when they say they can get communications back up and running that means didly swat to the American public on health issues. The terms "Non-Emergency" and "No Damage" are commonly used but in reality that means absolutely nothing to the complete environmental (and health) devistation we are looking at:

UNUSUAL EVENT DECLARED DUE TO HURRICANE WARNING

At 2204 CDT, an Unusual Event was declared due to a Hurricane warning in St Charles Parish, LA. The licensee does not have any Limiting Conditions for Operation on safety related equipment. No electrical grid disturbances currently exist.

The licensee will be notifying the NRC Resident Inspector. The licensee notified the State and Local government agencies.

* * * UPDATE FROM J. PIERCE TO M. RIPLEY 1144 EDT 08/28/05 * * *

"Waterford 3 will commence a plant shutdown to Mode 4 on August 28, 2005 at 1100 CDT. The goal is to be approximately 325 deg F reactor coolant system temperature with both trains of Shutdown Cooling in service [expected at approximately 0100 CDT 08/29/05] . This is approximately 2 hours before hurricane force winds are expected on site."

Notified R4DO (Jones), NRR EO (Kuo), IRD Mgr. (Wilson), DHS (York), and FEMA (Canupp).

* * * UPDATE FROM J. PIERCE TO J. ROTTON 1131 EDT 08/29/05 * * *

As a result of Hurricane Katrina, all offsite power was lost at 0800 CDT. The emergency diesel generators successfully started and loaded.

Notified R4DO (R. Bywater), NSIR (Leach, Wilson), NRR EO (Kuo, Jung), FEMA (Kuzia), DHS (Stransky).

* * * UPDATE FROM LICENSEE (LEWIS) TO NRC (HUFFMAN) AT 2302 EDT ON 8/29/05 * * *

The Hurricane warning for St Charles Parish, LA, has been discontinued by the National Weather Service. Initiating condition, D UE-5, is no longer applicable. Waterford 3 remains in an Unusual Event for initiating condition C UE-1, loss of all offsite power. An agreement to relax 60 minute notification updates to State and local authorities remains in effect.

The licensee has notified State and local authorities as well as the NRC Resident Inspector.

Offsite power is available to the licensee switchyard. However, the voltage is too high for plant specification and the licensee remains disconnected from offsite power and on the emergency diesel generators.

* * * UPDATE FROM LICENSEE (LEWIS) TO NRC (KNOKE) AT 0001 EDT ON 8/31/05 * * *

Waterford 3 remains in an Unusual Event for initiating condition C UE-1, loss of all offsite power. An agreement to relax 60 minute notification updates to State and local authorities remains in effect. The communications system for Public Automatic Branch Exchange (PABX) is working internally, but not externally. Other areas where communications are lost are Emergency Operations Facility (EOF), Operations hotline, Reactor Auxiliary Building (RAB), and the Emergency Notification System (ENS). Waterford has use of an industrial hotline to a circuit in the Parish of St Charles, however, this is very limited in its capability. The Civil Defense communication system is still inoperable.

* * * UPDATE AT 1903 ON 9/6/05 FROM WAIG TO GOULD * * *

NRC exited monitoring mode at 1800 CDT on 9/6/05.

Notified R4 IRC (Waig), R4DO (Powers), IRD (Leach), DHS (Cartlidge), FEMA (Kuzia).

* * * UPDATE FROM LICENSEE (LEWIS) TO NRC (KNOKE) AT 19:12 EDT ON 09/07/05 * * *

At 17:57 CDT the licensee exited from the Unusual Event. Offsite power was restored and communications were reestablished with (1) a functional operational hotline, (2) a dedicated open line to NRC Headquarters Operations Center, and (3) having the plant PABX circuits routed through Little Rock, AK area code. The plant is holding in Mode 5 until further notice, however, this may change when the decision to (or not to) repair a check valve in the Safety Injection system is made.

Notified R4DO (Powers), IRD (McGinty), NRR EO (Hackett), DHS (Sullivan), and FEMA (Kuzia).

* * * UPDATE FROM LICENSEE AT 08:45 EDT ON 09/08/05 * * *

This report has been updated to reflect the correct time of the licensee exiting their unusual event classification. Unusual event was exited at 1740 CDT not 1757 CDT.

Notified R4DO (Powers), IRD (McGinty), NRR EO (Jung).

Entergy's only concerned with getting electricity up and running again, while we already have some major problems to address even in re-starting those plants after they have been flooded.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission has to have logs of events that take place in times such as this in going over the logs, everything is considered "non-emergency" including past serious problems with Nuclear plants where they have had accidents before. "Non Emergency" in itself only talks about communications and operations.

The term "Non Emergency" really means absolutely nothing to our health. What it basically means is if they can get the electricity turned back on. However there have been numerous Emergency's logged for the Waterford plant since Hurricane Katrina, this is just one example:

Power Reactor Event Number: 41954
Facility: WATERFORD
Region: 4 State: LA
Unit: [3] [ ] [ ]
RX Type: [3] CE
NRC Notified By: KENNY CAMBREY
HQ OPS Officer: JEFF ROTTON Notification Date: 08/27/2005
Notification Time: 23:22 [ET]
Event Date: 08/27/2005
Event Time: 22:04 [CDT]
Last Update Date: 09/08/2005
Emergency Class: UNUSUAL EVENT
10 CFR Section:
50.72(a) (1) (i) - EMERGENCY DECLARED
Person (Organization):
WILLIAM JONES (R4)
PAO-TSIN KUO (NRR)
MEL LEACH (IRD)
AKERS (DHS)
CASTO (FEMA)

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Entergy's track record nothing but FINES AND VIOLATIONS FOR PUBLIC SAFETY. I do not trust these rich liars. Nor would I trust the Government in what they are keeping from the public at this point in time.

EA 96-025

Entergy Operations, Inc.
ATTN: Michael B. Sellman, Vice
President Operations - Waterford
P.O. Box B
Killona, Louisiana 70066

SUBJECT: NOTICE OF VIOLATION AND PROPOSED IMPOSITION OF CIVIL
PENALTY - $50, 000 (NRC Inspection Report No. 50-382/95-23)

Dear Mr. Sellman:

More proof that Entergy Corp. always lies

Escalated Enforcement Actions Issued to Reactor Licensees - W Waterford 3 - Docket No. 050-00382

NRC Action Number(s) and
Facility Name Action Type
(Severity) &
Civil Penalty
(if any) Date
Issued Description
EA-03-230
Waterford 3 NOV
(White) 04/12/2004 On April 12, 2004, a Notice of Violation was issued for a violation associated with a White SDP finding involving the failure to establish appropriate instruction and accomplish those instructions for installation of a fuel line for the Train A emergency diesel generator in May 2003.
EA-99-104
Waterford 3 NOV
(SL III) 06/15/1999 Failure involving access authorization program.
EA-98-479
Waterford 3 NOV
(SL III) 01/07/1999 Violation involved a failure to maintain required control of a copy of the Waterford-3 Physical Security Plan
EA-98-022
EA-98-022-W
Waterford 3 NOVCP
(SL III)
$110, 000

Withdrawal
06/16/98

05/24/1999 50.59 violations involving AFW, and ECCS analysis deficiencies.
EA-97-589
Waterford 3 NOV
(SL III) 02/25/1998 ACCW inoperable.
EA-97-099
Waterford 3 NOVCP
(SL III)
$ 55, 000 05/09/1997 The action was based on a Severity Level III problem consisting of: 1) a failure to assure containment fan cooler flows met Technical Specification surveillance acceptance requirements; 2) a failure to properly translate design basis information into accident analyses and specifications; 3) a failure to test containment fan cooler flows under post-accident conditions; and 4) a failure to take prompt action to resolve discrepancies between design basis documents and attained flows.
EA-96-255
Waterford 3 NOVCP
(SL III)
$ 50, 000 12/26/1996 Failure to test valves pursuant to the requirements of Sections of the IST program.
EA-96-025
Waterford 3 NOVCP
(SL III)
$ 50, 000 03/28/1996 Failure to implement effective actions to correct a known design deficiency in the auxiliary component cooling water system.

there are a hundred more behind these

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
As usual for our own protection right? The opinion to turn on the reactors after the flood damage, as usual we are "A rock" in their way. They ignore and have always ignored the public when it comes to safety and environmental issues, why would that change now? It has been said now that turning back on after a bad flood with further cause severe health problems to the public. They seem to be going ahead anyway, the media also polled America a few days ago on our thoughts of "Nuclear Power Plants" necessary or not. With that said, I guess that is all that they will be saying to the public.

OFFICE OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS
Office of Public Affairs Telephone: 301/415-8200
Washington, DC 20555-0001

OFFICE OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS
Office of Public Affairs Telephone: 301/415-8200
Washington, DC 20555-0001

BUILDING ON SUCCESS: THE REGULATORY CHALLENGE

“Between a Rock and a Nice Place”

Nuclear Energy Assembly, New Orleans

BUILDING ON SUCCESS: THE REGULATORY CHALLENGE

“Between a Rock and a Nice Place”

Nuclear Energy Assembly, New Orleans

Nuclear Safety Regulation: Evolving Approaches

In discussing the NRC’s evolving approach to nuclear safety regulation, it may be appropriate to begin by mentioning another anniversary: the Three Mile Island accident, which took place 25 years ago this spring. There is no doubt that the industry and the NRC were at the time between a rock and a hard place. That event, as we all know, was a milestone in the history of commercial nuclear power, and not a happy one. Notwithstanding that the reactor was ultimately brought to safe shutdown without physical harm to any member of the public, it dealt a major setback to the development of the nuclear option in this country, largely because of the impact on public opinion. Public opinion can become a “rock” if the public is not given the factual information it needs. Even this setback was not without its benefits, however, for it was a wake-up call, shaking the industry and the NRC out of some complacency about the safety of nuclear plants, and it resulted in important advances in the way that both the industry and its regulators did business. The creation of the Institute for Nuclear Power Operations (INPO), providing internal industry discipline to identify weaker performers and bring them up to the mark, was a major step forward. For the NRC, the post-accident reviews confirmed the soundness of the approach employed several years earlier in WASH-1400, the “Reactor Safety Study”: namely, the use of risk analysis and risk insights to ensure that resources are targeted optimally, to identify the types of accidents which are most important and the best ways to reduce their probability and consequences. In the years since 1995, we have made major strides in integrating the use of PRA into our regulatory structures, though much remains to be done.......

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Pretty damn bad. Nuclear and radioactive materials have constantly been pulled up from the ground there. Here is just some of what we have known of and it's location, mostly from our own government's burial and such.

A lot our our Govt. radioactive materials have been dug up over the years, but how much do you really think we have there considering this place has been a toxic waste dump since the Industrial age.

Just some things pulled up in the past:

-Project 3304: There were eight wells which contained instrument dials consisting of low levels of radioactive waste.

-New Orleans Naval Air Station (NONAS): It is located on the main campus of the University of New Orleans. It hada single UST which contained fuel oil. The proximity of the UST to existingstructures mandated the UST be closed in place. During closure operations,pesticides were discovered and subsequently incinerated. The UST was cleanedand filled with cement. Asbestos piping was removed from around the tank.MVN awarded and asbestos removal contract to a certified asbestos contractorto remove the asbestos.

-New Iberia Auxiliary Naval Air Station: Locatedin New Iberia, Louisiana, contained eight USTs in its airport hydrant system.MVN's contractor removed these tanks and remediated the asbestos.

--Houma Naval Air Station: Locatedin Houma, Louisiana, contained eight USTs in its airport hydrant system.MVN's contractor removed these tanks and remediated the asbestos.

-DeRidder Army Air Field: Locatedin DeRidder, Louisiana, a residential water well was found to have elevatedlevels of carbon tetrachloride. The MVN is currently conducting a preliminaryassessment to determine whether construction of monitoring wells and additionaldiscrete sampling is required. MVN completed the Field Sampling Plan QualityAssurance Project Plan, and site specific safety and heath plan in conjunction with Tulsa District which will be executing the work.

-Camp Claiborne: Located twenty miles southwest of Alexandria, Louisiana contains Ordnance and Explosive Waste (OEW). Preliminary assessment indicated that there is a high probability of explosive substance at this site. This information was forwarded to Huntsville Division, who determined that a Time Critical Removal Action(TCRA) was required. The TCRA was completed August 1995. Huntsville is currently preparing an Engineering Evaluation / Cost Analysis (EE/CA) forfurther action.

-Project 3302: The airport hydrant system consisted of removing fifty-seven Underground Storage Tanks (UST) in eight tank clusters and contaminated material. New Orleans District (MVN) completed a site assessment and subsequent risk assessment in August 1995 on the contaminated material. Closure was completed with the state in May 1996 by completing the registration and closure forms.

-Chennault Air Force Base located in Lake Charles, Louisiana, consists of three remediation projects:

-New Iberia Auxiliary Naval Air Station: Locatedin New Iberia, Louisiana, contained eight USTs in its airport hydrant system.MVN's contractor removed these tanks and remediated the asbestos.

-Houma Naval Air Station: Locatedin Houma, Louisiana, contained eight USTs in its airport hydrant system.MVN's contractor removed these tanks and remediated the asbestos.

-DeRidder Army Air Field: Locatedin DeRidder, Louisiana, a residential water well was found to have elevatedlevels of carbon tetrachloride. The MVN is currently conducting a preliminaryassessment to determine whether construction of monitoring wells and additionaldiscrete sampling is required. MVN completed the Field Sampling Plan QualityAssurance Project Plan, and site specific safety and heath plan in conjunction with Tulsa District which will be executing the work.

-Camp Claiborne: Located twenty miles southwest of Alexandria, Louisiana contains Ordnance and Explosive Waste (OEW). Preliminary assessment indicated that there is a high probability of explosive substance at this site. This information was forwarded to Huntsville Division, who determined that a Time Critical Removal Action(TCRA) was required. The TCRA was completed August 1995. Huntsville is currently preparing an Engineering Evaluation / Cost Analysis (EE/CA) forfurther action

Some More History

"In the early 1900's the city of New Orleans operated the site as a landfill, collecting and transporting waste mounds, waste pits, waste lagoons and surface deposits, much of which is alleged to be toxic or hazardous. During the 1960's and 1970's, the city began a residential development project on the site of the landfill. In developing the former landfill site, the city granted contracts for the construction of the three residential developments to various entities that are not parties to this action. "
www.classactionamerica.com...

"For much of the period since World War II the petroleum industry sparked the development of the state (with the notable exception of the oil slump that took place during the mid-1980s). By the 1960s Louisiana had become a major space-age industrial center; as industry grew, the state became urbanized. Urgent environmental problems of the 1980s included industrial pollution, disposal of toxic waste, and erosion of the coastline. "
www.gatewayno.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Hmmmm......

So the long and short of it is that N.O. was built on a Toxic waste dump, so N.O. was screwed either way, the Nuclear powerplants were flooded, which is a major environmental disaster, Entergy is the only one who can respond to gas leaks and fires at the plants (containing information on exactly what is happening), and the toxic floodwaters are actually much more toxic than we've been told? If this is the case, how are the rich inhabitants of N.O. going to rebuild the city into another Las Vegas and make it impossible for anyone who isn't rich to live there? Maybe they just need to level the whole place and pour concrete over it till it's at sea level before they rebuild it. Then again, why rebuild over a toxic waste dump?

[edit on 14-9-2005 by Mirlin11]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
"these samples were found contaminated far beyond EPA's recommend level of human contact, it was determined that no useful information relative to the degree of hazard to public health could be gained from further testing." (By WHO? Bush & his buddies, The Nuclear Plants & the Oil Companies?)

Just say it with me N-U-C-L-E-A-R C-O-N-T-A-M-I-N-A-T-I-O-N

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join