It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jessie Jackson wants Katrina payout for victims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I found the following article on Newsmax.com

Jesse Jackson: Compensate Katrina Victims

Rev. Jesse Jackson is calling for the creation of a Hurricane Katrina Victims Compensation Fund that could dole out tens of billions of dollars to New Orleans flood victims over and above the $60 billion already appropriated by Congress for reconstruction.

"We need a Hurricane Victims Fund to provide resources to the affected people and families, based on the same compensation and assistance formula of the 9/11 Victims Fund," Jackson says on his Rainbow/Push web site.

The 9/11 fund distributed $7 billion to the families of those killed in America's worst terrorist attack, in exchange for a promise that they wouldn't bring crippling legal action against American and United Airlines, whose planes were hijacked.

Jackson's call for a 9/11-style Katrina fund echoes former New Orleans Mayor Marc Morial, who's urging Congress to establish a Katrina victims Bill of Rights that would include compensation.

Outlining his plans Monday night in a speech at the University of Pennsylvania, Morial slammed the Bush administration for what he said was its "miserably failed response" to the storm.

Morial suggested that a massive victims payout would "ensure that this never happens again."

O.K.... so where do we draw the line? "Well your family member died in the initial storm, so no money for you. Your family member died when they drank contaminated water the next day, $10,000 for you. Your family member got shot while looting? Sounds racist, $20,000 for you."

Give me a break, yes the response to the situation was awful, but this was an act of God/Mother Nature/Father Time, whatever. What's next, pay people off when a hailstorm bangs up their car so they don't sue the NOAA for not calling them personally to let them know a storm was coming?

Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

I'm not saying that these people shouldn't be helped, but between the $60 (probably more to come) from the government, everything being donated to Red Cross (that doesn't end up in their pocket), let alone the Salvation Army and every other charity out there, I don't think there's going to be a shortage of help for those that need it. But the line has to be drawn somewhere. It's a terrible tragedy, but it also a tragedy that so many will use it as a way to get all that they can out of it.

[edit on 9/14/2005 by yadboy]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I can understand helping these people out with aid and help them get back on thier feet. But the FACT remains that despite order after order to evacuate out of NO....many of them (not all, but most) of those who stayed behind made a conscious decision to stay behind knowing damn well what could happen. That would be like someone wanted money knowing that 9/11 was gonna happen before it did and then going to work at the WTC....and then ask for $$$$$ cause thier a victim.

It truly is sad, that people die in such aweful ways and people like Jesse Jackson are trying to get handouts for his people.....if the areas affected by Katrina were prodominately white....he would not even be involved.

A family I know back in Alabama lost everything in a tornando a few years back.....I guess we should give them a million dollars too

Im tired of all the handouts and crybabies...I understand if someone is elderly or a single mother in thier situation...thier are certian cases where such handouts are needed. But in 85% (give or take)....I would have to say NO.

Sporty

[edit on 14/9/2005 by SportyMB]

[edit on 14/9/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
The problem with this sort of thinking by Jackson is where do you draw the line? What about past victims of Camile or Andrew? What about all the folks in Florida that lost homes and family members last year? What about North Carolina, it is being battered righ now by a slow moving hurricane off it's coast. What about all future victims? What about victims of earthquakes, tornados, dust storms, snow storms or any other natural disaster that is on the horizon. Rev. Jesse Jackson has only one purpose and that is to create turmoil and controversy when and where he can. Without it he cannot justify his existence. Americans are donating to Katrina relief in record amounts. Katrina's victims will have substantial aid to help them. We do not need this type of grandstanding from anyone.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Taking in consideration that many of them will have to start from scratch because they have not, homes transportation or jobs.

What do you proposed keeping them in detention camps? Sorry I mean refugees camp.

So you have a better solution?

Don't you think?

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Taking in consideration that many of them will have to start from scratch because they have not, homes transportation or jobs.

What do you proposed keeping them in detention camps? Sorry I mean refugees camp.

So you have a better solution?

Don't you think?

Yeah, my solution is get a job and start over. Is it fair that this happened to them? No, it's not, it should never happen to anyone. But they made the choice to live below sea level, and many (not all) made the choice to not leave when the hurricane was obviously gonna hit near NO. No one is saying they shouldn't be helped, but should we give them the money to support themselves the rest of their lives? What happened sucks, but after they have been helped back to their feet, they need to walk on their own.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Well if you keep them in camps they will be supported by the government and the tax payer.

Also these people has been living in the area in NO for generations and they manage the area the Mississippi river is a delta, when the prospectors in the area decided to control the river to made possible to have more area to urbanized then that's when the problem started.

You either can live with what nature has given you or try to control it. If you notice the areas that didn't got flooded were the old town, because it was build in the higher ground.

The people needs to have something to start with and only money will be able to do it.

Or they can stay the way they are and live on charity for the rest of their life.

Either way something has to be done.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by yadboy
O.K.... so where do we draw the line? "Well your family member died in the initial storm, so no money for you. Your family member died when they drank contaminated water the next day, $10,000 for you. Your family member got shot while looting? Sounds racist, $20,000 for you."

This may be a good idea in Theory, but I really dont think they are going to do a autopsy on all those people. So in that.. I dont think its a good idea.

Originally posted by yadboy
Give me a break, yes the response to the situation was awful, but this was an act of God/Mother Nature/Father Time, whatever. What's next, pay people off when a hailstorm bangs up their car so they don't sue the NOAA for not calling them personally to let them know a storm was coming?

Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

I'm not saying that these people shouldn't be helped, but between the $60 (probably more to come) from the government, everything being donated to Red Cross (that doesn't end up in their pocket), let alone the Salvation Army and every other charity out there, I don't think there's going to be a shortage of help for those that need it. But the line has to be drawn somewhere. It's a terrible tragedy, but it also a tragedy that so many will use it as a way to get all that they can out of it.

I think I agree with you, when someone loses thier house in say a fire, or something of that nature.. They are not given 20,000 bucks to rebuild from anything.

I myself had a house fire before 9/11 that destroyed everything. All I got was 300 bucks for my family and I to go get clothes and some food. The rest of it was up to me to deal with.

So I think people should be responsible for thier own selves, I also dont agree with that crap after 9/11. Where all that money came in for the people of 9/11 and most of it wasnt even given.. This kinda thing wasnt thought of in 1941, those people dealt with things on thier own..

Plus Jesse Jackson is just getting his limelight cause he cant bitch about anything that is racist since the Rodney King thing.

SO he is just trying to get famous again.

[edit on 9/14/2005 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Oh, Je$$e Jack$on never met a camera he didn't like. He's just got to nose into everything. I'd been surprised as anything to see him in Florida during the Terri Schiavo execution--probably all the cameras there too.

People are helping the hurricane victims. I was watching on the news where one family took in FIFTY people!

There has to be a way, though, to help them get back on their feet and get jobs. I have no good ideas, though.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The victims of katrina are not all in camps! For everyone that is in a camp, thousands are scattered through the USA. America citizens are offerning spare bedrooms, companies like Nortel have offered empty office space for temporary housing, state and local governments are offering temporary housing. In Raleigh, NC their children are going to our public schools, Tulane students are attending NCST and UNC universities. Job fairs are being held just for the Katrina Victims and millions upon millions of dollars are pouring in from citizens of the USA and citizens of other countries. The Katrina victims will be taken care of. There is absolutely no need for a special fund like the 9/11 fund. It is redundant and serves no clear purpose, just like Rev. Jackson.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Without money they are not going to be able to do anything to start their lives that is the way things are in our country not "money not honey:

So let them get some cash.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
How about this.. these people dont need money, they do however need resources to get things done. When they get that then they can get thier lives in gear.

I hate to say this but, most of them people were poor, and some were on crack.. wtf you think they are going to do if they get thier hands on 20,000 bucks..

Sure the hell not get thier lives in gear again I can bet on that one..

You give these people resources like the one guy said Job Fair wherever they land, I think wallmart is hiring people just cause they are in that incident just so they can make money.. i think Mcdonalds is doing the same thing...

But these people dont need money.. You dont need anything to start over, just the will to do it.. hell I did it, just like alot of other people.. its not hard.. just takes some time..

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
DDSOS (Different Day Same Old S***)

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Without money they are not going to be able to do anything to start their lives that is the way things are in our country not "money not honey:

So let them get some cash.

These people are not gonna starve and they are not going to be left out in the cold. Reguardless of what the government does, the American people won't let that happen.

But if you give these folk a bunch of money because they had some bad (actually terrible) luck, it will do them no good in the long run. A lot of these folk have been feeding off the government for years and have gone nowhere fast. If you give thema bunch of cash they'll go out and buy some fresh bling and a fast ride. Granted, that's a bit of a stereotype, but I guarentee the money wouldn't be spent to help back on their feet. They will expect the government to do everything for them and then spend any extra on material things. If they don't have to work for anything, they won't respect anything.

Give a man a free house and he'll bust out the windows.

Help them start over then cut them off. I don't work 50hrs a week and pay tax on everything so the poor can sit around and milk the gov. dry. If you've had hard times, you deserve help. After you get back on your feet, do for yourself and your family.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Jackson has always been about one thing. Money. It it was up to him everybody would be on the goverment dole.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Stop Sending Money!! You may be very upset what its being spent on...

And there we have it girls and boys.

Do not send money, instead give resources for them to get on thier feet.

new topics

top topics

join