It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mini Short Story Contest - Fragile Earth Winner Announced

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
Awe come on Void, its a measley 500 words. I hate to see the gifted among us take a dive over a silly head cold. This is what I think you should do. Go buy some whiskey, a lemon and peppermint. Make yourself a few hot toddies and then sit down to write.
I might not be able to get drunk(I'm 14) but I'm feeling a lot better and have already begun on an entry. I'm aiming to knock Jermiah right off that little hill of his, or at least his head.

Remember the golden rule of writting: Write drunk, edit sober.

LOL!!!!!

[edit on 18-9-2005 by Voidmaster]

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Just a question, if I put more stories and they are related in a way is this considered as "cheating"?
Like same characters in the stories or one main disaster and different stories re the Disaster.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I'm kinda wondering about that too. My entry has the same characters as another story I have here. In the latest chapter of my story, I incorporated what I had for my entry. I wrote my entry yesterday, and the latest chapter of my story today. Just that that little bit from my story and my entry are each from a different character's perspective.

Should be okay here. I'll let whoever is judging make the call.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Wow Void, I never would have guessed you were 14. You're such a talented writer. You should keep it up, you'll definately go somewhere.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
okay lemme see if I got this.....

you want to use the same characters in different stories, kind of like Part 1, Part 2, Part 3????

If so...YES, but limit is 3 parts....each part will be judged individually and not as a whole.

There's currently no limit to how many individual and unique entries (not based on the same theme or character) that you can enter.

Fragile Earth must be the focus of your story...any idea or element that fits into any of the ideas I mentioned before can be the basis of your story.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
If you compare my entry to chapter 3 of my story "Come Back to Us," you'll see what I mean.

I incorporated the events in my entry into my story. So it sorta became an offshoot or a spin-off...in reverse.

But my entry has to do with chemtrails.

(Now I'm wondering if I messed up....heheh....)

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Now remember the golden rule of writing, "write drunk, edit sober."

The next morning you can go thru what you wrote the night before and probably come up with a masterpiece.

Most of our best literature comes from following this advice Wupy.

I have an alternative version having served in various capacities as an editor:

'write drunk, stay drunk, have someone else edit for you.'

Btw - you are all so fiercely competitive. No wonder poor Voidmaster feels so voided out.

[edit on 19-9-2005 by nikelbee]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I hate it I hate it I hate it....
argggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggh 500 words indeed...

I wrote a lovely lil ditty and then word counted to just over 1000 words and i cannot cut it anymore cos it will kill my lil storyline...

*stamps foot arghhh

can I submit it anyhows and not get judged on it...it made my mum cry when I read it to her ...

i can always write another for judging but this one i like...

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
wow, good thing I suddenly decided to check in. I would have missed it. Ever since school started I've had to be much less compulsive about my ATS participation. (I have discovered that my obsessive participation here was a reaction to an extreme lack of intellectual stimulation- which has at least somewat been rectified). All the same, it'd have been a shame to miss the contest after I vowed to win the next one

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
All the same, it'd have been a shame to miss the contest after I vowed to win the next one

Welcome aboard Vagabond, its good to see the heavy hitters weighing in. Now as for your winning...heheheheheheh.....

God I love ATS.......

By the way, i'm running for DISC council and if I win I probably won't be eligable to participate in the writing contests. Vote for me anyway.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Ooooooo it has been so long since I have written a short story, and one of my fav. topics as well. Im in!

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikelbee

I have an alternative version having served in various capacities as an editor:

'write drunk, stay drunk, have someone else edit for you.'

[edit on 19-9-2005 by nikelbee]

Well if your offering to edit for me Nikelbee, I have about 50 short stories i'll send to you right away, then i'll go on a bender that would make a sailor proud

Oh, and as long as your editing, look on your roladex and see if you know any publishers as well. Don't bother telling me if you find one, i'll be too slushed up and tipsy to understand anyway

Love and light my friend,

Wupy

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Well, I just finished. Its not my best work but I think I did a pretty good job at it.
Hope you guy's like it: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Well if your offering to edit for me Nikelbee, I have about 50 short stories i'll send to you right away, then i'll go on a bender that would make a sailor proud

Oh, and as long as your editing, look on your roladex and see if you know any publishers as well. Don't bother telling me if you find one, i'll be too slushed up and tipsy to understand anyway

Love and light my friend,

Wupy

Dear Wupy

I will be happy to look at a few of your stories, not sure about 50 though.
Be forewarned, I am tough and don't mince words, so if you want praise and encouragement I am not the person you want. I haven't reduced anyone to tears yet (not that I know of) but I'm young - give me time.

As far as publishers, what you really want is an agent my friend. Most good respectable publishing houses will no longer look at you w/out one. Landing one of these is now virtually impossible without being seen or recommended. My suggestion to you is submit your short stories to publications, magazines, journals, zines. Get used to rejection, hell revel in it. I read that Stephen King papered his wall in rejection slips.

Btw - my rolodex has been replaced by the Bible - Aka the Writers and Artists' Handbook - quite useful and every aspiring writer should have one. They even have a section for how to so submit while on a bender. Might be useful for you Wupy.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikelbee
Dear Wupy

I will be happy to look at a few of your stories, not sure about 50 though.
Be forewarned, I am tough and don't mince words, so if you want praise and encouragement I am not the person you want. I haven't reduced anyone to tears yet (not that I know of) but I'm young - give me time.

LOL, I don't mind criticism at all. If your serious though about checking out some of my writing i have a few stories posted somewhere, I'll include a link. I found it, heres the link:

some of wupy's stories

Do me a favor and read Wildflowers first, its one of my favorites.

Love and light,

Wupy

[edit on 21-9-2005 by mrwupy]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
Ooooooo it has been so long since I have written a short story, and one of my fav. topics as well. Im in!

I'm really looking forward to seeing your entry into this contest, mrsdudara.
I have noticed your interest in vulcanism, tectonics and seismic activity on the boards so I'm assuming (hoping) the story will based in the earth sciences.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I couldn't do much with the subject really, and the word limit was a hinderance, but I'm not completely ashamed of my contribution. Best of luck everyone. I haven't had a chance to read everyone elses yet, but I'll try to.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I can't help it, I have too ask.

Are we going to have a Halloween Competition?*sounds hopeful*

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
We better, I already have two plots and one existing story for a halloween contest.

Nikelbee- about the bible- who's the writer? I just may have to get myself a copy of the good book since you speak so highly of it.

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Hi Vagabond -

The 'Bible' tries to take the mystery out of getting published by being a collection of invaluable resoures. Therefore, it has no singe author. It is a mega directory filled to the brim with useful info on where to submit, who to submit to, lists of magazines, agencies, publishers and how tos.

It is published annually and once people buy them, they usually hold on to them. It is a resource used by pros and amateurs alike. This year it features (among other things) J.K Rowling's article on succesful children's writing.

I like it cause it not only gives you tips on getting published but tells you how to do it and who to send it to when you are ready.

I hope this helps explain

It is published by A&C Black and here is the link: Writers & Yearbook 2005

[edit on 25-9-2005 by nikelbee]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join