It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

boomslang viper

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   

The Boomslang Snake is a rather large, highly poisonous tree dwelling snake found throughout sub-Saharan Africa. Boomslangs are greenish to brown or even black in color. These coloring variations are the greatest of any other snakes in their Afrotropic regional habitat. It is the adult females that are usually brown in color, with males a light green color often with black or blue highlights outlining the edges of their scales. This snake is a one deadly animal because of its preference for aerial positioning in tree top and shrub cover. Hard to see in the thick forested cover of the savanna, the Boomslang Snake is well camouflaged and strikes without giving any warning signal. The Boomslang delivers a potent Hemotoxic venom to its victim through large, deeply grooved Folded Fangs positioned in the rear of its mouth and this snake bite can be fatal if left untreated

Average length is 100-160 centimeters (approximately 3.5 to just over 5 feet in length) with some snakes recorded over 6 feet in length. The most readily identifiable physical feature of the Boomslang is exceptionally large eyes proportionate to its distinctive egg-shaped head. If agitated, the Boomslang moves quickly and will inflate its neck to double its normal size right before striking its victim. Equipped with stereoscopic vision, the Boomslang hunts during the day in its arboreal territory making meals of chameleons, arboreal lizards, frogs, and occasionally small mammals, birds and eggs from nesting birds which they swallow whole.

This poor bird has no chance

And so goes the circle of life, eater will be eaten.

The snakes are primarily arboreal and are amazingly agile in trees. They do venture onto the ground and when they do so they keep their head raised off the ground to enable them see their surroundings well. They generally move very fast when on the ground as they are more visible and vulnerable. They are often mobbed by birds, upon which they regularly prey. They are generalist feeders and will also eat lizards - particularly chameleons, frogs, rodents and other snakes. They are nervous, fast, agile snakes with excellent vision and thus manage to avoid encounters with humans. Most people only get to see a glimpse of the snake before they ascend a tree or disappear in thick vegetation. For this reason, and the rear position of the fangs, bites from this species are very rare and restricted to snake handlers. The venom is a slow-acting, but very potent haemotoxin for which a specific Boomslang antivenom or whole blood transfusion is required. They lay between 10 and 25 eggs.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Hey dude, I got one of those!!

Look how sweet it is

My razer boomslang viper:

I also have a diamondback, copperhead and standard boobslang :p

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Thats so funny, I am tring to find snakes and they keep giving me mice.,

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
If I ever go to Africa or Australia I'm going to get one of those cranes or egrits or whatever the hell bird that is and keep it on a leash with me at all times.

Peace

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Or you can take a KING Cobra, hehe, they eat snakes. lol

He will be my next post.

new topics

top topics

join