It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Iraqi president says at least 50,000 US troops can leave

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 05:44 AM
link   
The President of Iraq has stated 50 thousand U.S. troops could be withdrawn immediately. This statement ran smack dab into resistance from the White House and the Pentagon. The leader of Iraq thinks Iraq could do without half of the US troops stationed there, and Washington is fighting it.
The white House spokesman said, 'letting the timetable for withdrawal of U.S. troops to be known would aid the insurgents'. It's doubtful they can hide the fact of a withdrawal, whenever it occurs.

www.taipeitimes.com
The US could withdraw as many as 50,000 troops from Iraq by the end of the year because there are enough Iraqi forces ready to begin taking control of parts of the country, Iraqi President Jalal Talabani told the Washington Post.

In an interview with the newspaper that was published yesterday, Talabani said he would discuss reductions in US forces during a private meeting with President George W. Bush and said he thought the US could pull some troops out immediately.

"We think that America has the full right to move some forces from Iraq to their country because I think we can replace them [with] our forces," Talabani said. "In my opinion, at least from 40,000 to 50,000 American troops can be [with-drawn] by the end of this year."

After the newspaper contacted the White House and Pentagon....

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The American public has paid and paid for this transition to democracy. The Iraqi leader gives the U.S. the go ahead to start withdrawal should the President of the U.S. be resisting that?

What will we get from delay? Will we ever be able to sneak out unnoticed? Will the intervening time produce a fully viable Iraq? No that will take decades. The role for our troops now is as a training force, and to back up Iraqi forces in extreme emergencies. I think we should take the President of Iraq on his generous offer without delay.

Related News Links:
www.sciencedaily.com
www.news.com.au

[edit on 9/14/2005 by bodebliss]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Wonder if Pres G.W gave him a nudge because he fore see`s unrest at home that 50,000 troops could come in handy with, Interesting news.

You`ll have to forgive my suspicious mind at the momment but i hope it spreads.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
They may change their mind after the attacks carried out today.

Wave of violence in Iraq kills more than 100

Al Qaeda has apparently said it is responsible, saying the attacks are in retaliation for the U.S.-Iraqi military offensive in the northern Iraqi city of Tal Afar.

www.cnn.com...

I don't think that disclosing a timeline is a good excuse for not announcing a pullout. As much as I would like to see our troops come home, if it is that critical, then it is probably too soon.

[edit on 9/14/2005 by Hal9000]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
IF they are sent back i would worry about what they foresee going on here at home....
It would be wonderful, but i'll wait to hear the news from the emperor himself.

Than we can still worry.

Bush will do what he wants anyway, he is not going to listen or do what the Iraqi president says...

[edit on 14-9-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
"IF they are sent back i would worry about what they foresee going on here at home.... "

I've been a soldier and when you get back home , you don't care about nothing. Your home , again !

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I detect a false sense of confidence and security from Iraq's current leader.

My concern, regarding their ability to step up to the plate if/when we pull any troops out, is the infiltration within their ranks by insurgents.

40,000-50,000 can be removed by year's end and will be replaced by our own.

By what, Iraqi troops infiltrated by insurgents and foreign fighters? Remember the mess tent attack . . . by one of their so-called own.

IMO any mass withdrawal in the near future will only increase the burden and danger to the remaining troops.

Obviously, there will come a time when they need to take things into their own hands, but I'm not so sure now is the time.

On another note:

I've been a soldier and when you get back home , you don't care about nothing. Your home , again !

Sadly though, Marine HMH-772, based out of PA (180+ Marines), returned home after 22 months in North Africa, Afghanistan, and Iraq only to be immediately deployed to New Orleans. Welcome home

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
"Sadly though, Marine HMH-772, based out of PA (180+ Marines), returned home after 22 months in North Africa, Afghanistan, and Iraq only to be immediately deployed to New Orleans. Welcome home "

I know it's a little bit viscious to send soldiers from PA who haven't hearth an' home in quite a while to clean up a mess Louisiana NG's shoulda been there to take care of.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodebliss
"IF they are sent back i would worry about what they foresee going on here at home.... "

Was that VietNam? That was yesteryear, not the America of today.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   
No, dgtempe

It was the War of the Roses.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

It matters not the road that's traveled,

When thoughts of home awake,

And we then near that haven of solitude,

All thoughts of journeys near and far become distant,

We long then for hearth and home to sit among friends and family,

The sorrows, tribulations, and fleeting joys of the road soon forgotten.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little poetry from a Poet-Warrior.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
It matters not what the Iraqi president wants neither what Mr. Bush wants, but what Chaney and Haliburton wants.

Troops has to keep the corporations safe while their are looting Iraq.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   

by dgtempe:
Was that VietNam? That was yesteryear, not the America of today.

All fun aside . . .

I hope this is meant from a sarcastic/enlightening standpoint!?

The saddest reality is that many troops who have served, or are serving, our country abroad have received responses similar to those from Vietnam upon return.

WTF?!

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

The saddest reality is that many troops who have served, or are serving, our country abroad have received responses similar to those from Vietnam upon return.

WTF?!

I have heard that before but I can not find a link to it do you have one.?

Because is despicable that our troops has to comeback from duties force upon them by the circumstances and the greed of some just to be mistreated by their fellow Americans.

So if you have a link it will make a nice thread on the subject.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I haven't heard anything like that.

What I've heard is soldiers being spontaneously cheered in airports, etc.

Nothing , but good so far.

top topics

join