It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: Katrina Washes Away the Constitution

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
As America still suffers from the devastating impact of Hurracaine Katrina certain elements within our own government are capitalising on the situation to further their own agendas. The horrific sites we have witnessed are now being used to usurp the power of the American people under the guise of security and reconstruction. What happens in New Orleans now will affect the American people for many years to come. If we do not understand the rights we are losing they will be gone forever, never to be ressurrected. The time of quiet complacency is over, we the people must understand what is being done to us.

I am of the belief that what we are witnessing is no dry run, actions taken now in New Orleans will have long lasting implications as it is the only real world example we have of such a major catastrophe. What happens now will set the standard for what is deemed "neccesary and lawfull" the next time somthing major like this happens. Americans are a community oriented people and as long as the majority opinion is in favor of an action or law it will go fairly unquestioned. The disarming of citizens makes every sense to the average American as it has been explained rationaly by the talking heads of the corporate news networks.

If you ask me our 2nd Ammendment right was already dealt a fatal blow years ago when gun control advocates perpetrated a mass propeganda campaign to further their agnedas and attach a negative stigma to the ownership of a gun. The 2nd Ammendment was so twisted and scewed that many citizens willingly turned in their guns lest they endanger the lives of their children and families simply by owning one. Gun control activists have created the idea that the very existence of guns is the root cause of our crime and suffering and that by owning a gun you are helping to propegate the murder of children and the killing of police officers. Thankfully common sense prevailed and we did not lose our guns, but we came close. The gun control activists managed to convince us of the neccesity of a national gun registration, the true purpose of which we see in action in NO. If they can't take your gun away, they will at least keep a record of where you live, what type of gun you have, and all personal information they can get so that if they ever decide to outright take your weapon away they will know exactly where to find it.

It has become self evident that this confiscation of guns is by no means meant to protect the citizenry of New Orleans. If it were so the "peace officer" (shown in the Fox News Video linked below) would have been ordered not to tackle fragile eldery women and drag them out by force. The scariest element of that story is that we have only seen that one clip, how many other homes have been invaded by these government thugs? How many people have been injured by over zealous government tools? What would you do if these thugs kicked in your door, tackled your grandmother and stuck automatic weapons in your children's faces?

We are seeing the emergence of the NeoCon's new Amerika, a land in which our rights and our very constitution are outdated ideals of a naive time long since passed. We are told that we have no need for our weapons because there is no government threatening our existence. We're told we are safe because our overgrown extremely distant government is protecting us from the unseen threat, having failed in bringing us hope, they have given us fear. But this fear is astract, it is not directed towards a given country or people, rather we must be ever vigilant because lurking around every corner is a "terrorist" seeking to demolish the American way of life. Before the terrorists it was the "bomb throwing anarchists" then the "red menace" and soon our enemy will be our neighbors, families and friends as we are asked to turn them in. In the new Amerika a citizen will not be defined by his place of birth or his legal alien status but by his level of loyalty to the government. You will be a citizen at nightfall, a "domestic insurgant" by morning and turned in by your neighbors come lunch time.

We, as citizens of the free and democratic nation of America, are being brainwashed. Not with microchips, drugs, or radio transmissions, rather the brainwashing is subtle and seeping it's way into our homes everyday. Our children are taught lies in their schools, they learn the new and acepted history of our nation, one of constant fear created by the naive pollitically incorrect thinking of our ancestors. The information we recieve is filtered through the corporations until every shred of truth has been skewed and doctored to portray the reality the envision for you. The nature of the brainwashing is not a personal attack, it seeks to change the thoughts of those around you, those you have come to trust, who will do the work of brainwashing you. They have succeeded in making us forget what our nation is, a country created by the people, for the people. A nation that empowered the people to defend itself from a corupt tyrannical government.

We are no longer the America our fore fathers died to create. We are not the free society, the last bastion of freedom in a world of tyranny. We are the home of the world's largest shopping malls, a country of reality shows and celebrities, corporate role models and consummerism all serving to distract the populace from what is truly taking place behind the closed doors of government. I fear the reality of the situation is that as long as the American people are fed the opiate of television and mass consummerism they will never feel unconfortable enough to fight for what they believe in. Worse yet I fear Americans believe in very little compared to the idelaists wht created this country. The megalomeniacal powers that be have succeeded in leeching this country of the values it once held so dear, abstracting them and turning them into theory rather than practice. The Constitution was never meant to be a sacred object, placed on display behind bulletproof glass and a velvet rope. it was meant to be a living document, brought into practice on a daily basis, to be the standard by which all laws and actions are compared. The Constitution should never be suspended under any circumstance with out loud and sometimes violent objections by the people.

The Constitution is not a governmental document, it is a document of the people outlining exactly what this country is supposed to be regardless of the current party in office and under no situation does the government have the right to suspend it. The Constitution is ours, we as the people are the only ones with power to suspend or enforce it as we see fit. The government was created to serve the people, to provide for us in times of need, to assist in times of crisis and above all else ensure adherance to the beliefs set out in the Constitution. As we are seeing in New Orleans the government cares little for our rights or even our lives, the government is now there to ensure the contiuation of itself at the expense of the American people. We have been precondidtioned to accept the fact that almost all our civil liberties will be suspended in the wake of a disastor such as Katrina and it is unacceptable. Under no circumstances should we accept the absolution of our rights as free citizens of this country especially in the case of a total loss of governmental control. New Orleans has been virtually obliterated and the survivors thrust into an anarchic thrid world situation where they can no longer trust in the machinations of government and the protection of the police force and given the inability for the government to control the situation it is seeking to eliminate any opposition it may encounter. Even if that opposition takes the form of eldery women, children, or starving survivors.

What we have seen in the aftermath of Katrina is but the prototype for our future. The neocon agenda is in full force and so far I fear they are winning. When Americans no longer understand the nature and context of their civil rights and accept and endorse the violent overthrow of the American people we have already lost. Contrary to the disinformation and propaganda it is we the people who own and run this country and it is the government who seeks to usurp our power. As we have seen they will use unreasonable force, foreign military and private security firms to do so. The new map for Imperial Amerika (See link below) has already been drawn and it is only through convincing us to give up our rights and our power that it will become a reality. This is our land, our country, and it is up to use to defend it from the true enemy of American freedoms and ideals, the corporate imperialist evil that permeates the government.

I urge every American to read and understand you rights, educate yourself on the nature of the opposition, and never back down in defense of your beliefs.

Related News Links:
www.prisonplanet.com Video of Police Officer Tackling Elderly Woman
www.northcom.mil The New Map of Imperialist Amerika

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Gun and Property rights issues in the aftermath of Katrina .(please watch video clip)

[edit on 13-9-2005 by Shadowflux]

[edit on 13-9-2005 by Nerdling]

[edit on 14-9-2005 by Nerdling]

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Very good.

This was an excellent piece of writing, very much on the money. I just have two minor bones of contention.

One is that people are essentially responsible for their own decisions. If nobody stands up for their freedom, they will lose it. Nothing but action-reaction, simple cause and effect. The American people don't HAVE to wake up. In fact, they probably won't. I don't want to dispel hope, because such a thing is always possible, but at this point I consider it long odds, to say the least.

Look how far this has come already. It's a threshold, like pain, and after a while you don't even realize you're being abused. Some even grow to like it, ask for it, and eventually pay money for it.

The entire country could change tommorow, if people made up their minds and acted decisively. But you can't make them, and I can't make them. They have to help themselves.

Edit: I forgot the second bone!

You said we're not being brainwashed with drugs...

I disagree strenuously. Americans are pumped full of drugs of all sorts morning, noon, and night. The ones that clear your head or cause you to think outside the box are illegal, or reduce stress, are illegal. The ones that sicken you, weaken you, and stress you out are legal. We are being heavily influenced by drugs.

I've seen some very interesting articles regarding the survival mode of the brain, and how one can be induced into it using chemical agents like caffeine and such. I believe the poster was Memory Shock, but I'm not 100%. I know he has an interest in the subject, perhaps he could shed some light on it.

In any case, the point I'm trying to make is that we are, indeed, brainwashed to some extent by drugs. There's the fluoride issue, the MSG/Nitrites issue, the caffeine connection, the pharmaceutical revolving door (symptom relief vs. cure, and side effects often requiring additional medication, round and round, you dig?), these are ways in which people are controlled through drugs.

Not brainwashed exactly, but certainly influenced.

Anyway, good Op/Ed piece, I very much enjoyed reading it.

[edit on 13-9-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
You have summarized what I have known and felt in my gut for quite some time.

The American public has been worked out for years to the point we stand now.

Life in our nation is no longer the way our forefathers intended when it comes to the power of the government over the citizens.

Something we have to address is how our nations leaders has been polluted by power, money and corruption and how we have learn or have been lead to accepted and be compliant.

[edit on 13-9-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
WyrdeOne,
I strongly agree that people are responsable for their own decisions and actions, however, I also believe that those who's decisions affect a vast majority of people have a responsibility to make those decisions with the best interest of the majority in mind. It seems that lately those in charge care little for us "Plebians" and seek to only further their interests. I agree, it's a hell of a sturggle to wake people up but as you said we are responsable to take action when we deem it neccesary and I feel I have sat quietly for long enough.

As you said Americans are very heavily medicated but I feel as though the medication, the propaganda, and indeed everything aimed at controlling the population is but one tentacle of the larger beast we are facing. The abundance of psychological medication in circulation today is designed to pacify the American populace much like the English importation of opium to China which resulted in the Opium Wars. There is a calculated plan to effect our capacity for rational and logical thought and the medications are just one means to that end. They are simply trying to make it easier to feed us the lies and deceit so important to the establishment of a tyrannical government There is much time and effort, not to mention financial support, dedicated to controlling us and it seems as though it is paying off.

It is my goal to wake up as many Americans as I can and show them the true nature of our enemies. It is my wish to enact my constitutional right of free speech in hopes of convincing others to critically analyze what they are being told and therefore formulate their own opinions. We Americans have many rights, but with those rights comes the responsiblity to understand, enact, and defend those rights. Every right you deem unimportant is a right lost to us all.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Excellent piece!

I join Wyrde in the picking of the drug bone, but agree that this nation is being brainwashed by several means, on several fronts, to become more compliant.

It's a very sad day when the Constitution, the very standard of our country, is thought of as archaic and irrelevant.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Marg,
I have found that tyranny is a progressive disease, the infringements our parents put up with have become our generation's unquestionable law. We must always make our decisions with the future in mind. Agreeing to give up a few rights now means our unborn children will never know these rights. If you look through the history of this great nation you will find that many things we have come to accept as fact, a strong central bank, an overgrown federal government, domestic surveillance, were once very hotly contested issues but have since outlived their detractors.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

It's a very sad day when the Constitution, the very standard of our country, is thought of as archaic and irrelevant.

This is one of the major points I wish to get across. The Constitution IS our country, and it's death means the death of the country we know as America.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Yes I am trying very hard to work for my children future so they can live their life with the same choices and liberty as I did.

But more and more it seems like a death end, as so many people will agree with anything that is given to them because the government "Is here to help"

When people look at the facts and see the destruction of our Constitution and what it means and then you bring it out for others to see, then you are tag anti American.

We all know that one of our rights given is to question the actions of our government in everything, that is our constitutional right.

Many are willingly giving that right away in the name of the "Good of the nation"

Pity.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Times change people and yes the good bad and ugly come out on all sides when a major crisis hits.

So - let's look at the "right to bear arms" issue. When enacted, there was sketchy police presence on foot or horseback, highway banditry, and a need to shoot your food (no Safeway's yet folks). Also, law enforcement was swift and to the point - public pillories and public hangings e.g. shoot someone you shouldn't have and you die....

Fast forward 200 years - we have police with mega horsepower cars, we have Safeway's and highway banditry is basically gone. So too is the swift and public deliverance of justice. You really so upset that the arms thing is a big deal?? Life is a cakewalk compared to when the right was granted and should be looked at, I mean come on there were idiots shooting up the rescue choppers.

Would someone also care to explain how worse off we are now?? I mean I can get a public education, get a job, start a business, buy toys, ski the Alps and many other things that are very hard to come by in many other countries and again, contrast this to the way of life when the Constitution was enacted. Like I said, times change people and really folks, life here ain't so bad if you actually stop and smell the roses....

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
The only reason life aint so bad here is because of a citizen's right to bear arms.

That fact is easily forgotten.

And the remembering of it is no picnic. Painful, to say the least.

What, exactly, is good about a society where only the criminals have guns?

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Wow, that video reminds me of that Starwars spoof Troops... welcome to the dark side.

I think the US would be better of if no one had guns, but you raise some interesting points, particularly under the current administration.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   

If we do not understand the rights we are losing they will be gone forever, never to be ressurrected. The time of quiet complacency is over, we the people must understand what is being done to us.

Agreed. Quiet complacency has about run its course. But what does that mean?

The crux of the comprehension is apparent in the first sentence of your quote. Who understands their rights? And what rights do we actually have? We as a society are allotted personal autonomy. What that means is that we are allowed to run free within the parameters of society. Take part in the social arena that has been set up for us, whatever your interest, there is an outlet for it. Do your job and have your playtime. Pretty basic. And for the most part, that is what life is all about. There is not much more to it.

The interesting variations, imo, come into play with situations such as Katrina. Social response to tragedy; tragedies that completely dissuade from the aforementioned syllabus and bring to the forefront the fragility of our lives. Katrina is an unraveling example of the failure of our government to do their job….which is to insure the status-quo. There are of course factions of our society who are going to take advantage of the ‘opportunity’ that is Katrina. The subsequent relief effort will be a case study in social theory and application with direct application to government authority.

In my opinion, this will showcase how woefully not in touch the government is with regards to the social experience of our populace. Many people are going to receive the short end of the stick in matters of reparation……..

But the issue is more heavily centered upon the discrepancy of comprehension between the government and its’ social relief efforts than it is on any actual machination on behalf of the established authority. Not that there isn’t any machination…there most likely is. However, the fact is that this was a natural disaster……the knowledge of the possibility for such and the failure for any broad-scale preparation is where the problems become exponential…..as well as suggestive of the “in the moment” attitude our society tends to have for the progression of our day to day lives…

I am of the belief that what we are witnessing is no dry run, actions taken now in New Orleans will have long lasting implications as it is the only real world example we have of such a major catastrophe.

Don’t soon forget the catastrophe of the recent tidal wave in Indonesia…..

What happens now will set the standard for what is deemed "neccesary and lawfull" the next time somthing major like this happens. Americans are a community oriented people and as long as the majority opinion is in favor of an action or law it will go fairly unquestioned. The disarming of citizens makes every sense to the average American as it has been explained rationaly by the talking heads of the corporate news networks.

Are you suggesting that the American populace is actually prepared to understand what is going on? I take our very own member, Mizar, as a prime example.

The majority of the population in any land, in anticipation of any catastrophe, are entirely ill-prepared. How can you say that a revolution of sorts is necessitated when the population in question doesn’t even understand the why they adhere to popular authority? And the American government is a popular authority……everyone is bred and raised on who they should turn to in the event they need help…..this is actually a broad spectrum issue, not just for natural disasters. But this particular natural disaster has been the focal point for many issues.
Mizar prepared himself. He allowed himself a comprehension of his circumstances and the possibilities that could arise. As such, he was fairly confident in his outlook and decried an automatic obedience to government influence.

I can’t say the same for much anyone else…including myself. It is that type of forward thinking that America lacks because we have been and will continue to be conditioned to respond to established authority…..education is where our attentions should attenutate….if you don’t seek to know, then you will most likely take someone else’s word for it….that right there is a point of ponderance……..

We are seeing the emergence of the NeoCon's new Amerika, a land in which our rights and our very constitution are outdated ideals of a naive time long since passed.

Sure. First…define neocon. Then let us determine what society was like in the time of the institution of the constitution. Times have changed. We have a much more integrated society that allows for the transmission of ideas on a much greater scale than the even the advancement demonstrated by the Pony Express.

People are being exposed to ideas based in the free trade atmosphere of information exchange while being taught inadequately . Math is irrelevant if you don’t care. History is irrelevant if context is not presented as a compare and contrast point. Most subjects are presented as a topic and application is actually saved for ‘higher education’ when the mechanical nature of learning has been reiterated to the point of excluding critical thought and extrapolation…….another point of ponderance…..

We, as citizens of the free and democratic nation of America, are being brainwashed.

Yes. Yes we are. Thanks for the reference, WyrdeOne…..

And I have this to add without taking a huge step a way from the presented topic…..

Brainwashing on a populace scale is more or less the encouragement of base reaction. If you consider that we have evolved to be a cognitive forward thinking species then the only distraction is “what you want.” Do what you want, eat, drink, socialize, etc…..the more you give in to what it is you want, the less time you’re going to spend on any in-depth cognition. And this theme is encouraged by popular society…..in the form of the thematic expression in our visual and audio entertainments as well as the chemicals we ingest. Ever consider the chemical provocations of eating meat? Ever consider the provocations of a perpetual dehydration (soda)? Ever consider why it is you ingest anything, be it beverage, food, or drug? The people who propagate all of these have……..

The questions are meant merely to provide a basis to question the very basic structures and routines that many of our society employ....

You can even consider the wide spread existence of irrelevancy as a brainwashing tool……..morality and social issues being the major analysis point for many news pieces and entertainments is a red flag in my eyes…

Our children are taught lies in their schools

It’s not that they are taught lies….it’s that they aren’t taught the truth…..the emphasis and one of my main contentions is the heavy social emphasis. Context and peripheral awareness is not taught at all….

The Constitution was never meant to be a sacred object, placed on display behind bulletproof glass and a velvet rope. it was meant to be a living document, brought into practice on a daily basis, to be the standard by which all laws and actions are compared.

Agreed. Excellent point. It has now become the a general reasoning point and excuse, rather than a system of ideals meant for the comprehension and application by every citizen.

[edit on 13-9-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
that was a great read friend...

this is a "hot topic" right now and i am glad to have read this...

i hope i read more on this...

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   

as posted by ShadowFlux
We are seeing the emergence of the NeoCon's new Amerika, a land in which our rights and our very constitution are outdated ideals of a naive time long since passed. We are told that we have no need for our weapons because there is no government threatening our existence. We're told we are safe because our overgrown extremely distant government is protecting us from the unseen threat, having failed in bringing us hope, they have given us fear.

Just "NeoCon's"? Really?
Sounds like something I read about Clinton many years ago.
Amazing that the same rhetoric being used against "NeoCons" today is the very same rhetoric that was being slammed against the liberal Democrats back during Clintons power playing days.
Interesting, no?

But Kerry is right about one thing: his Democratic Party is not the party of the NRA and Second Amendment rights. When you see Bill or Hillary Clinton or John Kerry carrying a shotgun, remember that their target is not some poor duck or pheasant. Their target is you.

Democrats might pretend to be gun-friendly to win your vote, but every vote for any Democrat empowers the gun grabbers and controllers. Just as you would be wary of Greeks bearing gifts (like the Trojan Horse), beware of any Democrat bearing arms in a publicity stunt...

The Democrats' Assault (on) Weapons
Clinton's legacy: gun-control president?

Please forgive the use of "NeoCon" sources. I am sure that there will be semantic issues about them.....

seekerof

[edit on 13-9-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I thought the neocon right was the gun toting right?? And the ACLU left were the ones that said that shooting a criminal invading your home was taking away their rights..?? Which side are we on here people??

I live in LA and work and drive and play in this criminal infested city. I've got no gun and have never been attacked by said criminals as have 90+% of the population. So the criminals have guns - they shoot each other and win the ultimate Darwin award - where's the rights infringing issue that is affecting me..??

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
WOW.

You guys are good, very good. especially shadowflux, WyrdeOne, MemoryShock

Talking of brainwashing, it is obvious that besides the schools and collages, they brainwash the millions of people through the media.

Idiots are brainwashed thru TV. The educated classes are taken thru the so called "respected newspapers" like Washington Post and New York Times.

The rest who survive brainwashing are silenced into submission by new laws like the Patriot Act III.

What Bin Laden could never destroy, we knock down ourselves. All he had to do was give us a little push.

History will judge very badly the entire American people for ripping up their own Constitution.

The fall has already begun.

[edit on 13-9-2005 by mr conspiracy]

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
If I may......I would like to nip the whole emphasis on neocon......a base issue such as this completely detracts from the relevant points already brought up..

Who cares about labels? Let's rather talk about the issues....

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I gleefully second that motion put forward by MemoryShock.

That's not to say the Neocons are not to blame, they most certainly are. It's just better to spread that blame around to include all our elected officials who violate our trust on a daily basis. They're almost all liars and thieves.

Their consituents don't trust them, but continue to pay their salaries, for some inexplicable reason.

Anyway, this is definitely NOT a partisan issue. I was probably remiss in not pointing that out from the get-go.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Thank you MemoryShock, I was in the middle of clearing up my usage of the term NeoCon when my computer shut down. Perhaps I made too liberal a use of that term as I am well aware of the plethora of hidden and personal agendas lurking in the catacombs of big government. I would possibly remove it from the original post if it wouldn't affect the over all peice. I do not wish this to become about one polotical agenda or group, rather I want this to remain an issue of the American People against powers wishing to impose their rule on us.

Now, on to specific replies:

Originally by UofCinLA
"Fast forward 200 years - we have police with mega horsepower cars, we have Safeway's and highway banditry is basically gone. So too is the swift and public deliverance of justice. You really so upset that the arms thing is a big deal?? Life is a cakewalk compared to when the right was granted and should be looked at, I mean come on there were idiots shooting up the rescue choppers."

Perhaps i was mistaken but I had read that those firing on the helicopters were attempting to get the rescuers attention, granted not the best method.

Originally by UofCinLA
Would someone also care to explain how worse off we are now?? I mean I can get a public education, get a job, start a business, buy toys, ski the Alps and many other things that are very hard to come by in many other countries and again, contrast this to the way of life when the Constitution was enacted. Like I said, times change people and really folks, life here ain't so bad if you actually stop and smell the roses....

And such is the form of the brainwashing. As I stated consumerism is one of the key elements of the attack on our cognition. As long as we are still able to consume, take vacations, and continue our lives as we always have people will ignore the loss of vital rights which in turn dangers the very comforts they rely on. If half the nation was in prison camps but you could still go on vacation, would you still be so lax?

How worse off are we? I will leave you to do your own research but I will proclaim that in the early days of our nation we were much more free. You would be well within your rights to move to the country, start a farm and grow marijuana, distill your own liqour, catch your own food, speak your mind and protect your family. Perhaps you should look into the damage done to the southern economy when moonshine distillation, long a family occupation, was outlawed by the federal government. Look up the whiskey rebellion. Our lives have become easy, we can sit back and expect all the comforts of home, but we are no longer as free as we once were. As our founding fathers intended. Not everyone can vacation in the alps, that is not a fundemental right but simply a perk of being financially well off.

[qoute]
Originally by MemoryShock
But the issue is more heavily centered upon the discrepancy of comprehension between the government and its’ social relief efforts than it is on any actual machination on behalf of the established authority. Not that there isn’t any machination…there most likely is. However, the fact is that this was a natural disaster……the knowledge of the possibility for such and the failure for any broad-scale preparation is where the problems become exponential…..as well as suggestive of the “in the moment” attitude our society tends to have for the progression of our day to day lives…
[/qoute]

I would tend to agree, this is a natural disaster, however, it is not nature taking away our constittutional rights. As has been stated many times before, the goverment was criminally negligent in it's preparation for this disaster, both in recent and less than recent history. I believe you are right, that the issue stems from a discrepency of our understanding of the roles of the government in such a situation. However my personal misunderstanding stems from the fact that I believed the government to still be there to serve the wellfare of the state and the people there in with no considration given to it's own interests. Given the violent disarming of the citizens and the forced evacuations I fear this may not be the case as it seems Halliburton is now in charge of rebuilding New Orleans. I don't care what someone's opinion is in regards to Hallibruton but it would be ignorant to think that many powerful people will not profit from this no bid transaction and I believe the first sign of a tyrannical government is profiting from the suffering of it's citizenry

[qoute]
Don’t soon forget the catastrophe of the recent tidal wave in Indonesia…..
[/qoute]

I haven't forgotten, but I meant the statement to refer to a catastrophe of this scale in which the American government was fully responsable for the well being of the people involved both before and after the storm.

[qoute]

The majority of the population in any land, in anticipation of any catastrophe, are entirely ill-prepared. How can you say that a revolution of sorts is necessitated when the population in question doesn’t even understand the why they adhere to popular authority?
[/qoute]

I feel as though the culpability for the ignorance of the average American citizen to rest squarely on the shoulders of big government, the ignorance is in the government's best interests of course. The government is meant to serve the people and contained within that responsibility is the neccesity to educate the masses on the machinations and structure of government. I do not propose an armed revolution, I simply wish people to question the nature of their government's authority and come to the realization that the power of government is in many ways farcical and depends entirely on the compliance of the populace. It is an accepted law of life that no one can be prepared for everything.

As to wether people are prepared to fully understand what is going on and what is to come, I don't care. I am personally tired of having my rights and my beliefs attacked due to the ignorance of brainwashed people and though I may not be directly attacked as I don't live in New Orleans it is one of my fiurmest beliefs that our constitutional rights should extend to every single citizen at every single moment.

[qoute]
by MemoryShock
People are being exposed to ideas based in the free trade atmosphere of information exchange while being taught inadequately
[/qoute]

Which is exactly why the brainwashing works, people are presented with ideas and situations through mass media and subsequently turn to more mass media to further educate themselves. I would say it is people's own fault for not educating themselves but it is hard to research somthing you have never heard of and even an issue of major importance is lost amid the tide of information and commercials.

[qoute]
It’s not that they are taught lies….it’s that they aren’t taught the truth
[/qoute]

I personally believe that peppering the truth with lies and agendas results in a lie. We can not expect our children to understand the concept of social relevance nor have the ability to filter out the current poltical biases. History should be taught like math, as facts. Government should be a seperate subject and not lumped together with history, it should be taught throughout a citizen's education and should be considered of utmost importance.

I hope this response was not too confused, in addition to the copying and pasting I had to reboot a few times

[edit on 14-9-2005 by Shadowflux]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:35 AM
link   
About two years ago (could have been three) the NRA was about to have their annual convention in New Orleans when the city joined in with the city of Chicago and others to push their lawsuits against the gun manufacturers. The NRA came within an eyelash of moving their meeting to another city because of the actions of New Orleans. It should come as no surprise therefore that the city of New Orleans Police Commissioner, under the direction of the Mayor of New Orleans, is the one authorizing the confiscation of legally owned firearms.

Please, don't just react to the current events in New Orleans by condemming all of government everywhere. To be sure, there is sufficient blame to cover just about anyone with one broad brush stroke; however, let us try to be more specific. First, lets start with the Mayor of the City of New Orleans, whose handling of this pending, and then actual disaster has been less than stellar. He had no emergency supplies stocked in locations that would not get flooded. He had no emergency evacuation plan worth mentioning. City transportation was not mobilized, etc. Recognize that disaster response is first and foremost a town/city function, not a state, county/parish, or federal function and then go back over the chain of events with that in mind. Second, when a city/town recognizes their resources are not sufficient to deal with something they are supposed to call in the county/parish for help.

The County/Parish government should then bring all their resources to bear on the problem and if it is to big for them they are supposed to call in the State for help. In the case of New Orleans, the city is essentially the Parish, so I'll just skip them.

The Govenor of Louisiana has a responsibility to assist every parish and town/city that asks for it, yet I'm hardpressed to even think of one thing the State did to assist the City of New Orleans. The state's emergency management office did practically nothing to assist NOLA either before or after Katrina struck--they didn't even call out the National Guard until requested to do so by the federal government. A good question to ask at this stage, is why didn't the State have the resources in place to help New Orleans? The state has known for years New Orleans could turn into a disaster area at any time. Why therefore wern't emergency supplies ready, why wasn't emergency transportation mobilized, why wasn't the National Guard called out? At any rate, if the State does not have the resources necessary to supply all the assistance needed they are supposed to request help from the Federal government.

Here is where just about everyone jumps on the bandwagon to roundly condemn FEMA--and rightfully so. Just bear in mind that FEMA cannot just jump in because of State's rights issues, they have to be asked by the State. Does anyone on ATS know just when that happened? I'm not attempting to apologize for FEMA, that's an impossible job where Katrina is concerned. I would like to know though just how soon the Governor of Louisiana asked for Federal assistance, because FEMA can do absolutely nothing until then.

We all know from the media that FEMA was asleep at the wheel, but I don't recall the media covering actions by the city or the state very much and clearly, most of the blame for the mis-handling of the disaster goes directly back to them, which brings me back to the topic at hand, the Constitution. The Attorney General of the Unites States should right now be bringing some sort of action against the City of New Orleans, via the State of Louisiana and the local Parish for violating the Constitution. I don't know if the Attorney General has done this or not, but if he has not, or does not plan to, then we can condemn the federal government.

There is a specific protocol that must be followed when addressing issues between the federal, state, and city governments and following those protocols takes time, especially if the issues are of a legal nature--which the violation of the Constitution is. Give things a bit of time to develop before jumping up and down on everyone in sight over this.

[edit on 14-9-2005 by Astronomer68]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join