It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian Boy, Aged 3, Can Run a Marathon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
A young boy in India, named Budhia, is possibly the youngest marathon runner in the world. His amazing talent for long distance running came to light after his mother was forced to sell him when his father died. A local Judo coach scolded him for being a bully and punished him by making him run. When he came back, 5 hours later, he was amazed to find the young boy still running around the track.

news.bbc.co.uk
He runs seven hours at a stretch, sometimes as much as 48km (30 miles). On a daily basis.
And Budhia Singh is just three and a half years old.

When Budhia's father died a year ago, his mother, who washes dishes in Bhubaneswar, capital of the eastern Indian state of Orissa, was unable to provide for her four children.

She sold Budhia to a man for 800 rupees ($20).

But the young boy came to the attention of Biranchi Das, a judo coach and the secretary of the local judo association.

Mr Das said he noticed Budhia's talent when scolding him for being a bully.

"Once, after he had done some mischief, I asked him to keep running till I came back," Mr Das told the BBC.

"I got busy in some work. When I came back after five hours, I was stunned to find him still running."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is truly astonishing.

As a father of a two year old girl, I can admit that they seem to have limitless energy, but to run this far and actually enjoy it is a whole different ball game.

It seems the young lad can run for over 6hrs at a time without stopping and thoroughly loves it. What makes the story that much better, is that after his mother was forced to let him go, it seems he is having a much higher standard of living, with regular meals and schooling thrown into the bargain.

I thought at first that this seemed somewhat cruel, but as the boy seems to enjoy running, it cannot be a bad thing.

[edit on 13/9/05 by stumason]

[edit on 13/9/05 by stumason]

[edit on 23-9-2005 by asala]

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
This really has nothing to do with ATS or its mission.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I find it interesting that neither the writer of the article nor the sole respnder even commented on the fact that the boy was sold as a slave.

Did you even notice?

Or are you part of a conspiracy to normalize slavery?

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Not right for ATSNN? Just because it isn't about Katrina, Aliens or some US political bollocks, doesn't make the story less amazing?

A 3yr old that runs up to 90km a day?

How about these apparently "worthy" stories:

11 Children Found Caged in Home

What the hell has that got to do with ATS, huh?

Or this?

NEWS: Saudi Arabia To Enter World Trade Organization

And as for the slavery comment, it mentions nothing in the article about the boy being a slave.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I believe ATSNN should have a section for miscellaneous subjects such as this!

I have suggested this before, but has anybody EVER actually heard anything back from a suggestion?

Mic

[edit on 13/9/2005 by MickeyDee]

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Not trying to be the devils advocate on this one.. perhap's ATS might consider opening and new Forum. Basically General News? Dunno - just a thought.

Dallas

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I think it's a pretty amazing story, and it is at least interesting that it says he was sold by his mother but like previously stated, that doesn't necessarily mean he's a slave...it may just be the way Indians have adoptions.

BTW (IMHO) -- People, if you don't like a story, just vote no, if it gets voted down and it's not an important story it'll be moved to the news forums on BTS...it's not really helpful to have a prolonged discussion on the merits of a submission.

new topics

top topics

join