It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

where do i get Seti@home?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Is this BONIC thing the only way you can do the seti at home?

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Why would you want to give an organization like SETI access and use of your computer??

I used to process hundreds of hours of data for them until I finally woke up and realized that they would never ever tell us if they found something.

Why not find another more worthy shared processing project to donate your computer time towards - I am sure there are several more worthy groups that need the publics help.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I'm not too familiar with this subject, but from what I can gather, it looks like seti@home is being replaced by a new system called BOINC??

Not sure on that one - Hopefully someone else can come along and help you out with that particular end of the spectrum...

However, it appears you can get the program at the link below:
setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu...

xn

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
BOINC is basically like a framework program. It's able to run multiple distributed computing projects on it, including Seti@home. The current Seti@home (Classic) is ending possibly next month, but a new version is now on BOINC. So you install BOINC, sign up for the projects (or activate your Seti@home account), then login to your account, and it'll download the actual program that will do the work. New versions of the the Seti application would be downloaded automatically. Downloads and account creations of Seti@home Classic has been disabled. Either continue to run Classic until it ends or switch to BOINC. A new Seti application for BOINC called "Seti@home Enhanced" will further the science and it will look for more things, the processing of each workunit will be similar to ClimatePrediction.net (takes at least a month to finish). This will help solve the problem of no work. More work could be created this way. BOINC really is superior to Seti@home Classic. While Classic was good for its time, the code is old, and since nothing was found, in order to process the workunits again and look for different things, using different methods, a new version would have to be created. BOINC will automatically download new applications. The chances of finding something this time with this new software have increased.

new topics

top topics

join