It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China: Collagen harvested from skin of executed convicts used in cosmetics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
This is creepy, disgusting and wrong on so many levels.
A Chinese cosmetics company is harvesting collagen from the corpses of executed convicts to use in lip and wrinkle treatments that are sold in the Europen markets.

guardian

A Chinese cosmetics company is using skin harvested from the corpses of executed convicts to develop beauty products for sale in Europe, an investigation by the Guardian has discovered.

Agents for the firm have told would-be customers it is developing collagen for lip and wrinkle treatments from skin taken from prisoners after they have been shot. The agents say some of the company's products have been exported to the UK, and that the use of skin from condemned convicts is "traditional" and nothing to "make such a big fuss about".

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Can I ask which part you find distasteful?

The use of cadavers for collagen collection, or the use of criminal cadavers?

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower
Can I ask which part you find distasteful?

The use of cadavers for collagen collection, or the use of criminal cadavers?

The use of cadavers for collagen collection that will be used on people's lips for purely cosmetice reasons.
How many people know the stuff they're putting on their lips and skin comes from dead people?

This may also add a profit motive for executions and that can't be good.

[edit on 13-9-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I understand.

Collagen is used in burn reconstruction though, too - cadaver skin is very, very useful for such things (and skin grafts). I suppose I don't see it as being any different from harvesting organs or anything else.

As for people knowing or not knowing...that's their problem
They can research just as easily as you or I (but we're obviously better at it
)

"Execution for profit" - well, I'm anti-execution at the best of times, so that's a particularly obnoxious idea to me. But, if we must do it, I suppose I'd rather see some use come from it, you know?

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower
Collagen is used in burn reconstruction though, too - cadaver skin is very, very useful for such things (and skin grafts). I suppose I don't see it as being any different from harvesting organs or anything else.

This practice is fine for use in burn victims but I have a problem when it is used for fighting wrinkles or making lips plumper.
I wonder if the labels even make mention of the fact that it is made from cadavers.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
No, because there is no requirement to do so....

I do see your point, yes.

But I suppose I put it down to "hey, if plumping up your lips is your priority... caveat (cadaver?) emptor...".

The irony. Using cadaver collagen to keep looking younger.

[edit on 13-9-2005 by Tinkleflower]

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
This reminds me of the song by 'ABC' Vanity Kills

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
This doesn't seem so bad to me. Using the dead for spare parts is common enough in America, what with the whole organ-donor thing, and if a deceased former death-row inmate can make a retroactive contribution to society, then I for one say go for it

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Forgetting the moral problems and yuck factor, this just seems unsanitary, couldn't this spread disease?

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Forgetting the moral problems and yuck factor, this just seems unsanitary, couldn't this spread disease?

No.

All graft/collagen/cellular matter (to be used in this manner) is cleaned, treated and prepared prior to use.

There's no disease involvement.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Parallelogram
This doesn't seem so bad to me. Using the dead for spare parts is common enough in America, what with the whole organ-donor thing,

Death row inmates are hardly organ donnor candidates in the best of circumstances and they have to agree to do it as does any donor criminal or not (or thier family). In this case we have criminals (and in China's case politcal dissidents, etc as well) being executed for whatever reason and then the state selling off thier parts with little or no consent. For all we know they may even charge the family for the procedure,

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I am aware that traditional organ donors have consented to their fate, but I don't think it would be so horrible if such requirements were waived in the case of hardened criminals. If they have any collagen, or maybe a liver, heart, or what have you, that could be put to use to save or improve other lives, then I don't see why we oughtn't just help ourselves.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Parallelogram
I that could be put to use to save or improve other lives, then I don't see why we oughtn't just help ourselves.

Aside from the fact that many would not be considered candidates (Hepatits, drug use, HIV etc.) it gets into a real murky ethical area IMHO. What if you clone yourself? Does the clone have rights or can you harvest away?

Do not get me wrong, I think prison is too warm and fuzzy anyway and death row inmates get a nice deal up untill thier time. But as a medical professional, I would have to draw the line at forced donation.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

This practice is fine for use in burn victims

but I have a problem when it is used for fighting wrinkles or making lips plumper.

??Are you suggesting that there needs to be created, yet another layer of bureaucracy??

With a mission to protect & inform the class of citizens which indulge themselves in elective and vanity medical procedures, such as plumping lips & filling wrinkles ??

I wonder if the labels even make mention of the fact that it is made from cadavers.

next time you shampoo with a 'protein enhanced product'...will you question the label??? does the label information clue you in to the fact that the 'protein' came from, among other sources, cow placenta??

i would save my outrages for other things....

peace

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   

An incident that occurred recently in Taiwan, a country which has stricter laws on prisoner consent and considerably more effective judicial safeguards than China, illustrates the type of horrifying misuse of medical resources that can occur as a result of this practice. When the sentence of a consenting prisoner scheduled to be an organ donor was carried out, he was not killed by the first bullet shot to his head. He was rushed to a hospital, where doctors were able to improve upon his condition. Later, after consultation with the Ministry of Justice, the medical staff agreed upon a convenient time to reschedule the execution. Saving life and taking life became hopelessly intermingled.

Link

and that's in Taiwan. Apparently China isn't as, um, liberal..

In this case we have criminals (and in China's case politcal dissidents, etc as well) being executed for whatever reason and then the state selling off thier parts with little or no consent.

yeah i think that someone who want's there lip's pumped up should be allowed to know that their collagen may come from a dead falun gong member or such.

peace

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Well I was told that the collagen I am using is from marine life..

Now how do I know that? I don't know I have to trust the sources. Right?

By the way I am very satisfy with the results.

One thing I know if they are using cadavers to collect it it has to be from very young specimens, collagen is in abundance in the baby's skin but as we grow up and age is diminishes.

By age 40 our skin already is lacking.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Aside from the fact that many would not be considered candidates (Hepatits, drug use, HIV etc.) it gets into a real murky ethical area IMHO. What if you clone yourself? Does the clone have rights or can you harvest away?

Few things in the world are more subjective than ethics. If you or a loved one were slated to die of heart failure within a few months, would you object to a suitable heart being taken from a person that was both A) a murderer and B) not using it any more?

I don't suggest that we kill anybody for the express purpose of harvesting their organs; nor do I think we ought to clone humans for that purpose. However, I am fully in support of saving lives by taking precious organs from executed criminals with clean bills of health.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
No wonder those guys wear masks on the job.

new topics

top topics

join