It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Votes on Mercury Rules

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
It looks like the US Senate may want more stringent regulations on mercury emissions from coal-fired power plants than the White House is willing to accept. The Senate votes today on whether to dump the current rules and push for stronger guidelines or leave the existing rules in place.

www.nctimes.com
Senate Votes on EPA Mercury Emission Rules

By JIM ABRAMS

WASHINGTON - Senators are challenging the Bush administration over its approach to reducing power plant emissions of mercury, a toxic metal that poses serious threats of neurological damage to newborn and young children.

The White House insists its market-based approach to curtailing mercury pollution is effective and founded on sound science, and warned that the president will veto any legislation that would overturn rules on mercury emissions finalized by the Environmental Protection Agency last March.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It looks like the vote will be largely symbolic, as even if the measure passes, the House and Pres. Bush will surely stop it from being implemented anytime soon.

[edit on 13-9-2005 by Icarus Rising]

[edit on 27-9-2005 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The reason this story grabbed me is a quote in the version I read from Sen. Susan Collins R-Maine, sponsor of the resolution along with Sen Leahy of Vermont. She states, "Every freshwater river, lake, and stream in my state is subject to a mercury advisory warning pregnant women and young children to limit consumption of fish caught in these waters."

This effort may well be too little, too late, but we have to start somewhere! I like that the Senate is taking a bi-partisan look at the EPA guidelines and letting their will be known in the form of a floor vote.

join