It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My name snake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   

There are more than three varieties of the spitting cobra. Some of them are the black neck spitting cobra, the asp, and the ringhal spitting cobra. The black neck spitting cobra is related to the desert cobra.

The spitting cobra lives in a two story nest when it's laying it's eggs. The spitting cobra lives in Southern Egypt to Northern South Africa. The cobra is a reptile that lives in warm climates.

The spitting cobra spits venom and can cause blindness. The cobra's enemy is the mongoose. Another enemy is the ferret. When the cobra is threatened it flattens it's neck into a hood.

The spitting cobra eats rats, rabbits, lizards, frogs, fish, and birds. Only the cobra can eat an egg whole.

The cobra has long spines inside it's throat on the neck vertebrae. The spitting cobras colors range from dull black to pink. When the cobra is an adult it's about ten feet long

www.kingsnake.com...
The Red Spitting Cobra, or Naja pallida (also known as Naja mossambique), gets part of their name by the looks. This reddish-brown cobra can grow up to 3 ft. and 3 in. at the average adult length. You can tell the age of the snake by color, because the younger the snake is, the lighter the color is. The Red Spitting Cobra has a tapering head, as the head serves as the broadest point, which helps their excellent vision. The venom glands rest behind and below the eyes, as well as under the cheeks. This snake has a black strip of scales across the neck, which is shown when the hood is exposed.

This species of cobra doesn't have a wide diet and wide distribution. This cobra is found in the dry grasslands and semi-desert regions of Northeastern Africa. The cobra is found in the Elapidae family, consisting of cobras and their relatives. This cobra feasts on other small snakes, birds, and small mammals. However, like most snakes, they can live without eating up to one whole year.

The Red Spitting Cobra gets the other half of their name by the form of defense they have. This snake spits their venom out of their fangs by ejecting the venom from the venom glands. The spit out venom usually is targeted for the eyes, so that the predator is occupied with stinging eyes, while the snake runs off for cover. However, in order to catch food and when desperate measures need to be taken, the cobra has no choice but to sink their teeth into the flesh and envenomate. If the spit out venom is not washed out of the eyes, it can eventually lead to blindness. But if you don't mend the bite, it could lead to death.

When mating season comes, it is a whole different set of rules. Solitary animals, such as the Red Spitting Cobra, will change a bit. The males will have head to head combats to fight for the right to mate with a female. Once the mating ritual is over, the female will find a place on the ground to lie up to 15 eggs. After an incubation process takes place, the babies hatch and are on their own.

The Red Spitting Cobra is a beautiful animal, but sadly many don't think so. Habitat destruction is a major problem for these cobras, plowing away their homes to create civilization, even though this animal is considered locally common. Others kill these cobras out of fear for their life. This has got to stop! If we can educate others about the beauty and importance of this animal, then we can help save them. If the world tries really hard, then we can live in harmony and co-exist with our natural world.

You have seen my favorite the red lets examine some other colors.

Spitting cobras are extremely accurate at distances over 10 feet. Some scientists theorize that the “Spitting Behavior” and evolution of the fang modifications were a result of the fact that Spitting cobras cohabitate with numerous antelope species. These scientists believe that the primary function of Spitting cobra fangs is to deter being trampled by antelope hooves. The Cobra is well equipped to spray its painful venom directly into the eyes of potential trampling animals from a safe distance. This theory is almost identical to the theory of the evolution of the “Rattlesnake Rattle” on rattlesnakes. Scientists speculate that the rattle’s main function was to alert buffalo and other grazing North American Hoovestock to their presence in order to avoid being trampled by their feet.

Cobras are apt to be more aggressive at night when they are hunting. During the day the cobra often basks in the sun close to its refuge. This may be a termitarium, rodent burrow, hollow tree or rock crevice.
When disturbed, a cobra will usually try to escape. If cornered, it will raise its head and neck, spread its hood (a flap of skin stretched over specially adapted ribs) and will strike or glide forward to attack if approached. The size and shape of the hood varies by species. When biting successfully, a cobra will often hold on and chew injecting great amounts of venom, which acts on the nervous system.

This is probably the most dangerous snake second to the Mamba. When confronted this snake can rear up two thirds of its body and can spit its venom with quick moving accuracy. The venom is ejected from two small holes near the tip of the teeth and is usually aimed at the eyes. The effect is instantaneous causing intense smarting and inflammation and if not washed out with milk or water will cause permanent blindness.

So if you dont know, now you know. I can only hope to be blessed to be reincarnated into this creature of might and beauty.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
If I havent scared you guys yet, just wait, I have some monsters with the heads of the size of fists and the fangs up to 2 in long. The vipers are coming.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
OMG that red spitting cobra it the most terrifying thing I’ve ever seen.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
OMG that red spitting cobra it the most terrifying thing I’ve ever seen.

The sad part, all but the all white is getting ready to shed, so you cant see thier true color.

If you look at the eyes they are cloudy, shedding time.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Yeah, the first pic is beautiful. The colors are vibrant. Those are scary, but pretty

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I dont know how much of the text you read, some say the spitting effect(hollow fangs) is as to a rattler's rattle. More of a warning, If blindness dont warn you of danger nothing will.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Absolutely beautiful animals...

From behind a thick glass wall anyways!!

Nah seriously, they are very very exotic looking and impressive too, but something about that super potent stuff they can launch 10 feet out makes me happy to keep a distance.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   

When Cobras Spit, There's Not A Dry Eye In The House
The red Mozambique spitting cobra stiffens, fixing its gaze on the victim's face, which is moving backwards and forwards in front of it. For several seconds it remains erect like this; then its head flashes forwards. For an instant the fangs in front of its pale pink throat are visible in its wide-open mouth, as they squirt the venom at high pressure towards the victim. On the plastic visor two red spiral patterns appear. The eyes behind it look surprisingly unperturbed. "I sprayed the visor beforehand with rhodamine," Katja Tzschätzsch calmly explains, "It's a pigment which dyes liquids red. This makes the traces of venom easier to see."
www.sciencedaily.com...

A spitting cobra can launch its venom well across the average dinner table. If this projectile of neurotoxins and tissue-attacking poisons should land in the recipient’s eye, it will cause a severe, stinging pain, and possibly blindness.

This appears to be the intent of the spitting behavior – to knock out the eyes. Researchers at the University of Bonn have put some cobras through target practice and found that the spitters rarely miss.

"In the literature it often says: they aim at the eyes," said Guido Westhoff. "However, up to now nobody has investigated it."
www.livescience.com...

This doesnt seem smart.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
While I would go out of my way to avoid encountering any snakes, I do admit to having a fascination with them, especially the cobra.

awesome pics and info SC

new topics

top topics

join