It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oddfellows Lodge

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I have been curious about the Oddfellows for many years but there seems to be little information about them. Except for there own reports about themselves.

I'm wondering if anybody here is familiar with them or their history? Is their any conspiracy about this group?

My father was a member for years but would never discuss them. When he passed away 25 years ago, he insisted on being buried with his Oddfellows ring. He was ill for several years before his death but never went to the Oddfelllows for help or money.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
They sponsored one of my little league teams, so I am grateful to them for that. I never asked what they were about, but just assumed they were just another group like the lions, elks, forresters, kiwanis, shriners, etc.
I think they're harmless, and haven't ever read any accusations against them. So, either they are conspirators, and are very good ones, never having been found out, or, what I suspect, they are just a charitable group with an odd name.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Sovereign Grand Lodge of the Independent Order of Oddfellows

www.ioof.org...

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
little info

www.freemasonrywatch.org...

freemasonry.bcy.ca...

thers always secret politics not really conspiracy

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Thanks japike, that is what I'm looking for. I find it strange that my father never wanted to discuss the lodge and never invited me or my brother to join. For a bunch of "Do Gooders", makes you wonder why they don't want to discuss anything with the family.

Thanks also to Masonic Light. I had already seen that link. It has some nice history on the group.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Yeah my uncle didn't invite his son to be a freemason either. Not sure why. It seems over the years it has been made very easy to join. I remember in Connecticut years back where it was direct relative only that could invite someone. Not sure if it was just the lodge or all lodges at that time.

Also there are more links out there I would check wikipedia for more hard facts on the basis of the group.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
This is a popular misunderstanding about Masonry; I can't speak for the Oddfellows, but it may apply to them also:

It is against our rules to invite anyone to join.

In order to become a Mason (or, presumably, an Oddfellow), the person who wants to join is required to ask to be admitted. We are not permitted to invite anyone, not even family members. Invitations to join are known as "soliciting", and is highly frowned upon by most US Grand Lodges.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Sorry should of rephrased in my Uncle's case my cousin asked all the time but was denied. As far as the Connecticut ref. To join you would have to ask a family member only or close friend.

I see alot of lodges now you can just drop in and ask any member.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light
This is a popular misunderstanding about Masonry; I can't speak for the Oddfellows, but it may apply to them also:

It is against our rules to invite anyone to join.

In order to become a Mason (or, presumably, an Oddfellow), the person who wants to join is required to ask to be admitted. We are not permitted to invite anyone, not even family members. Invitations to join are known as "soliciting", and is highly frowned upon by most US Grand Lodges.

Actually Odd Fellows are permitted to solicit membership. The biggest problem I've seen is that the Order is dying...apparently very few people are actually out there trying to build up membership.

At one time nearly every city in my home state (Missouri) had an Odd Fellows Lodge, now there are very few of them. I belong to "Jurisdiction Lodge #1" of the Grand Lodge of Missouri, IOOF, which basically means I pay my dues directly to Grand Lodge each year and have no "home" Lodge. I can visit anywere, but there is no Lodge nearby. Our local one went under about 8 years ago.

Regards,

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I have been trying to become an oddfellow...but there is no lodge nearby...however I know the national office is in winston salem...about an hour and a half from me...Senrak you got any ideas?

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by BoonePanic
I have been trying to become an oddfellow...but there is no lodge nearby...however I know the national office is in winston salem...about an hour and a half from me...Senrak you got any ideas?

Absolutely!

I just sent you a U2U. Feel free to contact me and we can arrange it.

From one "Fraternity man" to another.

Senrak

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I was just sort of curious, what do Odd fellows do? I hate to offend an Odd fellow by just guessing something horribly wrong.

[edit on 8-10-2005 by TgSoe]

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by TgSoe
I was just sort of curious, what do Odd fellows do? I hate to offend an Odd fellow by just guessing something horribly wrong.

[edit on 8-10-2005 by TgSoe]

I am def. not one but am very interested, they usually uphold charity, having fundraisers and other events...it is a beneficiary society...like masonry it has grips, secret passwords, and meetings...has 3 degrees as does masonry

seems to be dying out in some sort of fashion...and if I am correct I think they MAY petition members to join unlike the 2 be 1 ask 1 campaign of freemasonry...

hope that was of some help

heres there nat'l website...www.IOOF.org...

[edit on 9-10-2005 by BoonePanic]

[edit on 9-10-2005 by BoonePanic]

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Hello all. My name is Clint and i am an ODDFELLOW. I joined this last year and our lodge is growing by leaps and bounds. I joined because the oddfellows seemed much more approachable than the masons. I dont mean dissrespect to masons. I think they are both great groups. The main focus in the oddfellows is helping your fellow man. The three links which will have the letters f l t in them mean friendship love and truth. The three degrees are biblical in nature and the secrecy is there for many reasons. Mainly to protect the lodge and those to whom they give. I will help anybody i can if they want to find a lodge. Let me know, [email protected]

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
There teachings of Love and Kindness I admire, and wish I could live up to more often myself. The whole idea of being the Oddfellows by being the one to actually simply want to do good is interesting in itself. As many societies do, they seem to hold Love your Neighbor as yourself, as the main teaching and action of their order.

I of coarse have issues with the secrecy.

I also have a question regarding
"One who believes in the Principles of Rebekah Odd Fellowship"

Now I know Rebekah had twin sons with Issac, son of Abram the patriarch. Rebekah was the one that at the instruction of God took her son Jacob, and tricked Jacobs father Issac to give him the blessing that would have normally gone to Esau. Since Esau was born first by a few minutes.

The stories and how Jacob, Esau carried there linage forward into culture is very interesting, but I am not speaking about that as much as the Rebekah role, the one where through deception from the direction of God, passing of family leadership is controlled or guided. Is this a claim to, through interpretation of God's will, be able to control or guide leadership of man in secrecy or with deception?

However, the Rebekah principle may be an embracing of God's determination of who should lead, who is his divine choice. I often draw the conclusion of the two twins as an indicator of the many divisions that exist
Jacob / Esau
right / left
west / east
servant / soldier
blue / red (not political sense)
cold / hot
sheep / goat
female / male (not in the literal sense.)
Jesus / satan

Is the 'Principles of Rebekah' the principle that those who serve their fellow man, not in slavery, but out of love of all, are the ones blessed by the lord and chosen to lead?

Is either or both of these the 'Principles of Rebekah'?

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Many Masons I know are also Oddfellows. My wife is a RN at an Oddfellows retirement home, and a nice retirement home it is. I visit many Masons there and give ones a ride that want to attend the Mason lodge meetings.
Is there a connection? There could be. No one has talked to me about Oddfellows, it may be, one has to ask.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I am sorry because I do not know enough about rebekahs to comment on them. I do know that you dont have to be in anything to be an upstanding person. I did it because i wanted to cover a wider base. What i mean is i wanted to reach more people. I live in a small community and it is hard to give to people they sometimes get offended. But with the oddfellows they put on dinners and give to charities without wanting any recognition. I want to help others. I want to pass some of my blessings on to less fortunates. Not in other countries but right here around me and this fellowship allows me to do that.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by senrak

There is an Oddfellows lodge in Richmond Missouri. FYI

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Theres an Oddfellow lodge down the street from my house. They meet every third tuesday or thursday of the month. I can get pictures later if you absolutely need them.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
The someone who is preparing to Initiate into the group, I can say that there really isn't anything "conspiracy" related about it. It's a fairly standard philanthropic organization.

There is one difference between the Oddfellows and (for example) the Masons...the Oddfellows don't put "2be1Ask1" on their license plates. Traditinoally, if you want to join the Oddfellows, you need to take the initiative to find THEM; they don't tend to do massive recruiting drives of public rallies (at least not here in Kansas, anway)...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join