It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are left handers an entirely different race?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   
My husband was one of those lefties who was forced to write with his right hand. His father used to yell at him to "use your right hand, I'm not going to raise any queers!". He is also an identical twin and his twin is right-handed, always has been. When my husband became a teacher, he began to notice that an overwhelming amount of kids who were twins, had the same combination: one was right-handed and the other was left-handed. He also is a bonefide genius and an amazing artist (not just my own opinion!)

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   
lefty here too. I think I'm special. Maybe not smarter or more artistic, but special none-the-less. My kindergarten teacher tried yo make me right handed, but my parents put a stop to that. my oldest daughter is a lefty too.
shout out to all the lefties!

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Question:

How many lefties are also situs inversus?

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 04:25 AM
link   
How many lefties are twins? Something like one out of five, thats how many. I'm a twin and lefty, anyone else? (This compared to 1 out of 20 for non-twins.)

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Not sure about race but i have heard that it is very rare to find a left hander that is over 80 years of age ....

Sorry for the fright

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I'd be right-handed if I didn't throw like a girl with my right arm...

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
So I gotta say, if aliens did a bit of genetic work with lefties I probably got the short end of the stick as far as artisticness goes. But like I said, I think it's just a different lifestle.

haha you and me both. I'm the only lefty in my family that I know of I've never really met my grandparents so maybe one of them were left handed. But I have more of a basic understanding of things I think. If anything breaks they all come to me to fix it. It's mainly for computers but I've never had a computer class or really even friends who were into them and I can do alot of stuff with a computer I probably shouldn't even know. The other thing is that I taught myself to read and pretty much since the 4th or 5th grade I've been able to read on a college level.

[edit on 12-11-2007 by sandman441]

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by gottabesuss

..even having a spot or mole on your left side meant being burnt at the stake.

Fantastic.

I'm a fellow lefty, haha. On top of that, I have a dark brown mole on the underside of my left hand (at the bottom of my index finger).

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Following some of the logic present on this thread, I am rather curious where would I be placed on the "evil" or "different race" scale? I am naturally Ambidextrous, and have been so since birth (or so my evil right handed parents said
).

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman
Following some of the logic present on this thread, I am rather curious where would I be placed on the "evil" or "different race" scale? I am naturally Ambidextrous, and have been so since birth (or so my evil right handed parents said
).

as i was reading this thread i was thinking the same thing because im also ambi-dextrous.
i am an art student and very artist and really open minded so maybe thats my lefty in me.
i remeber being a kid and the dinner ladys telling me off because i eat with my left hand and they tryed to make me eat with the right and well i tipped all my fod down me.

i was thinking to well ifthe lefties use there right side of the brain and the righties us the left side does that mean i use both sides equally weird any one got ant links to research on ambi-dextrous people.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Okay, I wasn't even sure what "ambidexterity" meant. I had to perform a Wiki search, haha.

A majority of everything I do is with my left hand. Whether it be writing, holding a fork, smoking a cigarette, brushing my teeth, etc.. I even hold my mobile/cell phone to my left ear.

However, I hold scissors with my right hand. I chew mainly with the right side of my mouth, and my right hand does most of the work when tying laces.

As for throwing a ball, I have no problem using both sides. Oh, I can also write using both hands at the same time (the words mirroring each other).

What category does that put me in?

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Not that I can recall any of this, but my parents told me when I egan to learn to write, I broke my right-arm. Therefore forcing me to use my left hand, thus I am left-handed. I don't know if my broken arm made me left handed, or if I would have naturally been left-handed, but from my point of view, left or right is not genetic.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I'm left handed (raises left hand).
In elementary school, i tried to write with my right hand but my wrist started hurting and I felt slightly dizzy, and that still happens now when I try to write right-handed. I also pitch/bat left-handed when playing baseball, kick with my left leg when playing soccer, I play my guitar left-handed, and I often refuse to shake hands with right-handed people. I'm also good with languages

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Well, if left handed people were a truly different race, then four out of my five sons would have a hard time explaining why they look like their mom and dad respectively.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
"Right handers" can produce left handed offspring. Chinese cannot produce African offspring. There is no such thing as a left handed race. It is a genetically determined brain function, not a racial genetic category. My parents have dark hair. I have red hair. Does that mean I am from a different race than my parents???? or is it that family genetics indicate a recessive gene, as my Grandfather also had red hair? If most sheep are white, when a black sheep is born, is it of another race?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I'm a lefty, also, and I've always been different. I'm the only one in the family that is left-handed. I always liked math and music, love to play piano, love the arts, etc.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Well being left handed myself I can probably say I'm pretty different.

My younger brother being left handed and myself being right handed, I can definitely say that's pretty much the only difference between us.

Looking at pictures of him and myself when I and he were little, I have trouble determining who is who in some of them.
We both take after our fathers side of the family.
We both sound exactly the same on the phone.
And it's just plain weird how often we think or say exactly the same things at exactly the same time.

And that's with an 11 year difference between us.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
They're not a different race, just wired differently. Lefties are represented ~ twice as much (30%) in the IQ140+ bracket. Famous people, Astronauts, & U.S. Presidents are disproportionately left-handed.

I think some lefties have abnormally developed areas of the left-brain, so the right-brain compensates. I think many savants and mentally challenged individuals belong here.

I think that most genetic (natural) lefties have larger corpus callosum than righties, and they usually end up gifted in an art or science.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by unityemissions]

[edit on 19-5-2009 by unityemissions]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Roman Emperor Commodus was a lefty, and proud of the fact. And he used to kill lions by the dozen.

I have read that us lefties have a quicker reaction time than you righties, have a higher IQ and have penises almost twice the "average" length.

So prepare to be ruled by the sinister master race who makes backwards can-openers, plebeians!

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I'm a lefty for just about everything(the only thing I can think of that I do right handed is using a mouse). My fine motor skills(namely writing) have always been horrible, and it drove me NUTS when the therapist would try to teach me to either write with my right hand, or write letters in a right handed fashion(i.e. start at the top of the S...).

For me the whole artistic thing hasn't really panned out considering that I can barely draw a straight line, BUT I do have an affinity for language. I've always gotten straight A's on my essays.

Also I've always had a great vocabulary. When I was in pre-school, I apparently had some issues with pronouncing words, and the teacher was talking about dinosaurs; I raised my hand and said what sounded like "They're stinky." I kept getting angry that she thought I was saying 'stinky,' when I actually meant extinct.

So yeah, I do think there's huge differences in the way lefties think; probably partly because of the way the brain is organized for a lefty, and the way that we need to constantly figure out how to make a right-handed machine work for us.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join