It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are left handers an entirely different race?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
lol o no, you can tell if your of a different race when you cannot reproduce with members of other races and if u do then the offspring cannot reproduce (some cases members of different races but close enough can reproduce like donkey's and horses make mules but mules cannot reproduce, and lion and tigers actually to make ligers but ligers cannot reproduce) and last i check left and right handed peope can reproduce, also i dont know of being left handed is even a trait or if its just something you learn naturally

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Anyhow I wonder how many righties are out there that were lefty but were "converted" by nuns and zealous teachers. Anybody here on ATS? One of my relatives was nearly converted so I'm thinking there might be more lefties by nature than we think.

Yep, I was "converted" from lefty in my first year of primary school. Dunno if it had anything to do with my epilepsy in later life. Also got in trouble for reading books "out of my age group".

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I don't think that left handers are considered left handers. Either they were taught that way or its just the way the brain was programed when it was a fetus in the womb. My dad is a left hander and i notice nothing different between him and me...saying left handers are alien would also be implying that people who play hockey or golf and shoot left are aliens as well.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   
If Right handed People think with the Left Part of the Brain and
Left Handed People Think with the Right Part of the Brain....

Does that mean Left handed people are the only ones on their right mind?

So if we are an entirely different race does that mean that if I marry a right hander is
considered inter-racial marriage?

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Can you be confident that a left hander will be at the right place at the right time?

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
oh so now im a whole different race wow this is gunna be hard to explain to the parents lol

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
My left-handedness fortunately didn't get me any hassles along the way, even though I went thru a few years in Catholic schools.

When my little brother was a toddler, he started grabbing for things with his left hand also, and my mother later told our family she decided, "One lefty in the family is enough", and started making him use his right hand. Unfortunately, growing up, there was always something not quite right about my little brother...the rest of the family hasn't heard from him in years. I don't even know if he's still alive.

So for any of you out there who are thinking about having kids, remember that it's a lot of responsibility, and that parental decisions you will be making may not necessarily just be about you. (End of sermon)

Growing up, I went thru a few PFR (passing for rightie) changes, such as using right-handed scissors, ironing with the right hand...that's about it. Using a right-handed desk wasn't a problem, but I avoid side-bound spiral writing notebooks like the plague. Luckily now they manufacture writing notebooks bound at the top. Yes!

Uh, am I more creative than the average bear? Don't know...I have been told after meetings that I am very articulate.

As it happens, today on Yahoo! News website, I read an article quoting some scientists who just discovered that although right-handed people just predominantly use the left side of the brain, lefties use both sides. Can that be true? If it is, my guess there is some evolutionary survival value there, but what???

Any graduate students out there? This would be the nucleus of a great research project.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Being a Left Hander myself I noticed how my family
treated me differently.

I thank my parents for allowing me to grow up normally
and not putting restrictions or forcing me to write with
my right hand, that is just wrong.

At work since I do a little bit of programming, I notice how
my co-workers make things complicated when they don't need to
be. Also I notice the difference when they try to explain their code
as opposed to myself.

Another Question: how about ambidextrous people? should they be
considered another race as well?

[edit on 11/1/2006 by a1ex]

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   
it's possible but i don't think so

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
i'm a lefty and have always felt way different from normal people. i also have a.d.d. so i think that also has effect. i do believe in the right side brainers think differently as do artists in general.

no

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
lI have heard from a friend who studues psychology in Universoty that left handed people have around four times the neural transmitters between brain hemispheres than right handed people, anyone know anything about that?

EDIT: some info on this link:

www.pencollectors.com...

[edit on 2-11-2006 by Jiffy]

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   
gee, for a 9% population of lefties, there sure are alot on a.t.s. now. it don't make sense. now we are all lefties. what, this article only got the lefty attention. i write left handed also, catch a ball left handed and get this when i was a kid i threw with my left hand and catched the ball left too. it looked funny cause i would catch the ball with the glove in my left hand and then pitch the glove off and throw the ball with my left hand. it was funny to watch, and then i learned to catch with my right hand. to this day , i do not trust my catch of a ball with my right hand. i trust my left, it just comes natural. i depend on it more, physical accuracy for left hand. a lefty will tell you shooting a gun made for a right handed person. especially a shotgun. the shells ejections go right in your face. try shooting a target with that proplem. not fun. scissors, i hate scissors. it seems none of them work. i get frustrated and use the other hand and that don't work either.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by hungryhippo
Well i'm not sure about left handed people being smarter than right handers. But don't left handed people use a different side of thier brain? I've also heard that lefties are a bit more artistic.
Quite an interesting post.

Actually, left handed people are neither right nor left brain dominant; whereas right handed people are left brain dominant. This puts us lefties in a pecular situation. Many lefties talk to themselves. Science found out this is not because they are crazy, rather because it enhances left brain right brain communication. This discovery has helped stroke victims actually move again, by directing their body parts through voice.

I don't think we are another race, but I do think it is a genetic marker indicating something specific. What exactly, I couldn't say. Yes, most highly artistic or creative people are left handers. This does not make us smarter. IMO we are just tuned in to more things. For some it's art, others mathematics and science, others religion and theology. The one thing I have noticed about lefties is they seem more open minded to new things that challenge their current knowledge. They seem more open to the "what if"s in life.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
i certainly think that all left handed people are sinister

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Wow, great thread here. I remember my P1 teacher back in 1985 tried to make me write with my right hand, and my mother going straight down to give her a hard time for it the next day, lol. (Thanks Mum)
I always found it easy to learn to use right handed tools, but I`ll always right with my left. I play guitar right handed just for the practical reason that everything is notated for right-handers. As for percentages, I noticed recently that maybe 30-40% of the visitors to my office sign their names left-handed, I`m still trying to get some reliable figures there, lol. P.S, there`s definitely something wrong with my brain, it`s just that the MRI and two EEG`s in the past year haven`t spotted it yet. Hmmm.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I'm another lefty.

My older brother was left-handed until the teachers forced him to be right-handed. It did cause him some problems. When I got the same teachers a few years later and they decided to try to force me to be right-handed, my Dad went down to the school and threatened to sue. I was not bothered by them after that.

I have a pair of uncles who are identical twins, one is left-handed and the other is right-handed.

I always had a lot of fun with mirror writing, and can still write just as fast backwards as I can forewards.

Used to have some trouble with those darn can openers until I learned to use them upside down, which makes it easier.

I still get some strange looks when someone wants to shake my hand and I automatically extend my left hand if I'm not thinking about it.

My thought processes are different than a lot of people's and I often notice that when instructions are provided they tend to be made harder than they have to be, so I'll adapt them.

I am a bit of a non-conformist and keep myself open to new ideas. I think that's what attracted me to ATS.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I'm a lefty and there's no way that I'm of a different race. Both my parents are right-handed so how could I be born of them if I'm a different race just because I'm a lefty? Are you saying that my parents aren't my parents?

From what I understand, hand preference begins in the womb as the fetus begins to suck on it's the thumb. It's believed that the thumb of the hand the fetus chooses to suck on becomes the predominant hand.

As for why lefties have been discrminated against and have been seen as evil throughout history; it's because minorities are almost always discrminated against. It has nothing to do with lefties being a different race, it's just because they're different and a minority in the population.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I am a lefty also. I can write upside down and backwords, I can print like a typewriter (how is that for dating myself). I could draw a mirror image of the entire electrical system of the Boeing 707. Until debit cards came around the biggest problem was tearing checks from a checkbook. They are designed to be torn right handed. If you tear them left handed they always rip at the top. Right handed desks in school were a pain. But when I shoot, (I was an A shooter in IPSC) I shoot right handed and left-eyed. Jeff Cooper (Gunsite) passed away a few weeks ago. He maintained that if you were left eyed you had to shoot left handed. I went through basic pistol, advanced, machine gun and rifle. Qualified expert. Go figure.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 01:25 AM
link   
duh, we left-handers are part of the NWO...
And I will refuse to shake with my right hand.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Lefties of ATS unite!

Lets not forget that the left side was considered lucky+protective for many because thats the side they wore their sheilds on!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join