It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Karzai Urges Anti-Terror Rethink

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 04:56 AM
link   
The President of Afghanistan, Hamid Karzai, has urged a paradigm shift in the War on Terror. He said that the emphasis should be put on "the source of terrorism" and where terrorists get their inspiration and training. It is widely believed Karzai is refering to Pakistan and its citizens involvement with terrorist activity.

news.bbc.co.uk
Afghan President Hamid Karzai says the US and other international forces need to reconsider their approach to bringing peace to Afghanistan.

Violence largely blamed on the Taleban has claimed at least 1,000 lives this year - the worst toll since 2001.

He said there had to be a focus on "the sources of terrorism" where extremists get their training and inspiration.

Many Afghans will interpret that as meaning neighbouring Pakistan, from where militants often launch attacks.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I actually interpreted Karzai's propaganda as a rallying call for attacking Iran. They are about the only state reported as sponsoring terrorists. Either Iran or Wahabism's birthplace, Saudi Arabia.

Karzai is Washington's man with his close ties to Unocal so I assume his statements gel with Washington's. I think the BBC pundits might have misread who Karzai was really aiming this at. Couple this with Washington asking Russia, China and India for help in refering Iran to the Security Council over its nuclear fuel cycle activities and you have a clear picture firming up.

Next stop, Iran.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
(submission) (war) US Asks China, Russia and India to Support Referral of Iran to Security Council

[edit on 13/9/05 by subz]

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Gosh first China speaks and now Afghanistan says a similiar thing about getting to the root of terrorism, to it's source......

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   

I actually interpreted Karzai's propaganda as a rallying call for attacking Iran. They are about the only state reported as sponsoring terrorists. Either Iran or Wahabism's birthplace, Saudi Arabia.

Karzai is Washington's man with his close ties to Unocal so I assume his statements gel with Washington's. I think the BBC pundits might have misread who Karzai was really aiming this at.

I don't think the BBC misread this at all.
Pakistan has been a longtime supporter of the Taliban whereas Iran has been a longtime opponent of the Sunni led Taliban. Iran even provided support to the Northern Alliance to help them in their fight against the Taliban.

fpc.state.gov

Iran strongly supported the Northern Alliance and its Tajik (Persian-speaking) leaders who have traditionally been strong in western Afghanistan as well as northern Afghanistan. Since Taliban forces ousted Ismail Khan from Herat (the western province that borders Iran) in September 1995, Iran has seen the Taliban movement as a threat to its interests in Afghanistan. Iran provided fuel, funds, and ammunition to the Northern Alliance12 and hosted fighters loyal to Khan, who was captured by the Taliban in 1998 but escaped and fled to Iran in March 2000. In September 1998, Iranian and Taliban forces nearly came into direct conflict when Iran discovered that nine of its diplomats were killed in the course of Taliban’s offensive in northern Afghanistan. Iran massed forces at the border and threatened military action, but the crisis cooled without a major clash, possibly because Iran lacked confidence in its military capabilities.

The United States and Iran have long had common positions on Afghanistan, despite deep U.S.-Iran differences on other issues. U.S. officials have long acknowledged working with Tehran, under the auspices of the Six Plus Two contact group and Geneva group. Secretary of State Powell shook hands with Iran’s Foreign Minister Kamal Kharrazi on November 12, 2001 during a Six Plus Two meeting on prospects for a new government in Afghanistan.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 04:41 AM
link   
AceOfBase, the Taliban werent terrorists though were they? I thought they were fundamentalist revolutionaries. Karzai was clearly talking about the War on Terror so any support Pakistan gave the now almost obliterated Taliban in the past is pretty irrelevant.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
The article specifically mentions that it is the Taliban that is the source of violence. Karzai may have called it terrorism but I don't think it's anything different than what the Taliban has been doing for years.

top topics

join