It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ashes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
As an Aussie,may I congratulate the English Cricket Team on regaining the Ashes after 18 years.

They definitely outplayed our boys in this series,the attack was well executed with good plans against our batsmen and the English batsmen showed excellent aggression.I dare say a few Aussies will be "retired" over the next few months.

We'll get you next time though.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 11:48 PM
link   
*Scratches head* Cricket, what are you talking about, why would you play with crickets??

Ohhh wait, you mean the Brit sport, wow I did'nt know anywhere accept the U.K. played cricket.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   
iori_komei

All the member states of the old British Empire,now Commonwealth,play cricket old chap.There is even a competition in Holland,as well as in the Ivy League schools if I'm not mistaken.

It is a game for gentlemen,which is why it was in trouble years ago,but the addition of a bit of mongrel from the Aussies and West Indies over the last forty years has reinvigorated the great game.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Ohh, see I never knew that, strange, I would have thought I'd notice something like that.
I'm a bit curious, if so many places play it, how come theres no U.S. team, or playing of it here?

D

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Dunno, seems like Americans can just never grasp the whole scoring system and the how the game works. Congrats to England, although your Barmy Army did go for some low blows during their singing.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Who'd have thought it eh? England - winning the Ashes?! As many commentators have suggested, this was possibly the best Ashes series of all time - certainly the best I can recall. Very entertaining cricket from both sides - it even got my girlfriend interested in the sport!

One thing that struck me - and is something that players and fans of certain sports should take note of - is the sportmanlike manner is which the players and fans conduct themselves, even in the heat of such an intense rivalry. Sure, there's plenty of banter, but thats all it is, and banter is good. Warne, McGrath etc congratulating Peterson on his century was a fantastic gesture, and the series as a whole should be shown in the dressing rooms of every premiership football club as an example of how to have a proper sporting occasion!

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Alas, it was the English weather and time that prevented there being a result in the 5th test. But the level of interest in a game that petered out to a relatively boring draw was intense, for obvious reasons. On reflection, a 2-2 result would have been no moral victory in retaining the Ashes anyway.

There are many nations teams that compete in the World Cup of Cricket than in World Series Baseball.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   
yep congrats and all that .......... I recorded a podcast in commemmoration of our defeat...........

just remember - you've got to give them back in a couple of years

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Contratulations to the England team, after the Lords test most people thought same old story, but this time England stepped up and showed how much they have moved on. The team spirit of the squad has made them into more of an extended family and this showed during each test match, there was always someone to step up and be counted. I dont remember the Australians being put under so much pressure and having there weaknesses exposed and exploited so well. They didnt back down though and always kept fighting and for that have to be respected. It will be interesting now to see what happens to the Australian team, as for England its off to Pakistan and India.

We will be down under in 18 months to battle for the Ashes again, but for now its time to bask in our glory.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Far Out Man
As an Aussie,may I congratulate the English Cricket Team on regaining the Ashes after 18 years.

They definitely outplayed our boys in this series,the attack was well executed with good plans against our batsmen and the English batsmen showed excellent aggression.I dare say a few Aussies will be "retired" over the next few months.

We'll get you next time though.

[edit on 5-1-2007 by Far Out Man]

Told you so!

(to the tune of Auld Lang Syne)
Five Nil,Five Nil,Five Nil,Five Nil,Five Nil,Five Nil,Five Nil...

Goodbye Warnie,Glenn McGrath and Justin Langer,thanks for the memories

[edit on 5-1-2007 by Far Out Man]

new topics

top topics

join