It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i need help with lucid dreaming...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
is there anything that i could read with useful "tips" so that i could "learn" (maybe?) how to have a lucid dream???

i just read:

en.wikipedia.org...

and i will try to recognize that i am dreaming while i am dreaming tonight...

i really want to experience this, so any help would be great...

thanks...

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
this site is pretty good...

i really hope i can experience a lucid dream...

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Rent the movie 'WAKING LIFE'...(or buy it, I did).......many great LUCID hints and practices are shared in that movie..........it is animated but for adults.

Read Carlos Castinada's "The Art Of Dreaming"....thats a big help......

Those are my top 2 picks of helping with Lucid dreaming. I hope they are of help to you!

My personal MOST helpfull hint is to LOOK for your hands in your dreams.....try and remember to look for your hands....when you remember this you THEN will recall you wanted to do this and it really helps you into the LUCID state.....like you suddenly realise....... WOW I found my hands! I am AWARE that I am dreaming and I have found my dream hands! I am being Lucid now....so THIS is what its like!.......

Good luck! Let us all know how it goes

[edit on 12-9-2005 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
thanks for the advice ma'am

i will try having one tonight...

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
The works of Stephen Laberge are quite good, the one that sticks out in my mind was:

Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming

Not sure how much of this material may be available on the Web but I think his previous work is out of print which is usually when you can find them in ebook form for free.

Are you keeping a Dream Diary? If not then you should start, no matter how good your overall Dream recall is, this will help to make it better. The stronger your recall becomes the easier the Lucid state can be reached.

A.T
(-)

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Lucid dreaming isn't so hard. Some times you notice things that shouldn't happen.

For instance, you fall off a tall building in a dream and you survive the fall, if your not too caught up in the dream you may notice that this cannot really happen in reality. So you must be dreaming and then you become lucid. At this point the fun begins.

I have never been able to stay lucid, probably for a split second. As soon as that happens my body gets staticy and I hear a buzzing noise or like a helicopter sound. Before I know it I'm out of my dream and floating above myself! So now I use Lucid Dreaming as a launch platform for Astral Projection.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Hey, I am actually quite good at lucid dreaming and taught myself, so I feel I can offer a few tips.

First of all, Alexander is right (now there's a surprise
) about the dream diary. The better your dream recall, the more likelihood of you having lucid dreams. Keep a small notebook next to your bed and write down anything you remember when you wake up in the morning. Some other tips:

- It sounds strange, but try and pick the exact instant where you fall asleep, where you actually lose consciousness and begin sleeping. Now, before you stress, this is impossible. But the mere act of trying to determine the exact moment will greatly improve your chances of experiencing a lucid dream. I want to say that it has something to do with extending your conscious thought into your dream state, but I don't know for certain why it works. I stumbled across this tip by accident, yet I have found it to be enormously effective. Many of my friends, who could not even remember most of their dreams, have used it and experienced lucid dreaming.

- When you go to bed, before you go to sleep, play out a scene in your head. I use the same scene consistently - standing on the top of a skyscraper and peering over the edge - but it could be anything you like. The key here is visualisation. Whatever scene you pick, try to visualise it down to the tiniest detail. Imagine the sights - for me I picture the people walking below, the cars, clouds, trees, bus stops, every minute detail you can think of to make it more realistic. Because it's not enough to simply imagine it, you have to try and experience it. I know, I know, what on Earth does that mean? To illustrate: in my skyscraper scene, I imagine that I am really standing there. As well as visualising sights and sounds, I imagine the rough feel of the sandstone under my feet, the giddy sensation of vertigo as I peer over the edge. The more you can fool your brain into believing you are actually there, the greater the chance that when you go to sleep you will experience a lucid dream. Again, I have no idea why this works. Perhaps it stimulates your imagination or your conscious thought just as you are going to sleep.

- Set your alarm for about three hours before you normally wake up. When it wakes you up, get up and do something simple - write the date in your dream diary, for example, nothing strenuous. Then shut it off and go back to sleep. I have found that you are far more likely to experience a lucid dream if your sleep is briefly interrupted a few hours before your normal waking time. Whilst I am confident that this has something to do with the cycles of REM sleep, I do not know enough to say for certain. But trust me, this will greatly improve your chances of experiencing a lucid dream.

- In a similar vein, if you have the opportunity to sleep in, I find that I have my most vivid lucid dreams at between 7 and 9 in the morning. So, on a weekend for example, set your alarm for, say, 6am with a goal to actually waking up around 9am. Why do you have more and clearer lucid dreams in the morning? I don't know. I have theorised that it has something to do with the increased visual stimulation from greater light, but I have no idea. It works, though.

- Finally, if you can get hold of lucid dreaming books or tapes, try them out. Some are quite good, some are not so good. Check your library before you fork over any money for them.

When you do finally experience a lucid dream (and it can take a while and lots of patience and practice) there are a few things to keep in mind:

- Don't panic.
I taught one of my friends how to experience lucid dreams using the tips I just shared with you. He is a very practical, no-nonsense guy, but when he rang me to tell me about his first lucid dream, he was speaking a million miles a minute. He was, however, disappointed that it ended so quickly. He said that he was dreaming and, all of a sudden, realised that he was in a dream. He tried to exert his control over the dream straight away, but everything became surreal and lost focus. This happens when you rush things. The first time it happens, just acknowledge the experience. "Hey cool, I'm in a dream. Jeremiah was right. Bless that handsome devil!" Try to do too much and your dream will break down and you'll have to start again.

- I have found that the key to manipulating your dreams is confidence. If I am having a nightmare where an angry crowd is chasing me through the streets, I am able to make them disappear, or stop them with an invisible barrier or (one time) rip the sky open and watch them cower in fear. However, when I was first beginning to experience lucid dreams, such actions were more hit-and-miss, simply because you doubt your own ability to perform such amazing feats. Just remember that it's all in your mind and have confidence. The rest will come with experience.

- There are a few things I have noticed about lucid dreams that have perplexed me. For example, I often use my lucid dreams to fly and it is brilliant. It is exactly what you think flying would really be like. In my lucid dreams, the dream characters have no problem with me flying. But if I try to float about 6 inches above the ground, the characters completely freak out and tend to point and scream in terror. Why? I have no idea. I think there are rules somehow, but I don't know what they are. When you begin to lucid dream, try this out and let me know how it goes.

So there yo go. Developing the ability to lucid dream takes a long time. It also takes loads of practice. Keep the dream diary, read some books, listen to some tapes and apply the tips and techniques I have outlined and you will certainly get there eventually.

Good luck.

[edit on 12/9/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Everytime that I look at my hands in a dream i am "warped" is a way. When i look at them the whole scence that i was in melts away and i am either in a vacum or dreaming about astrally projecting out of my body.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah25
In my lucid dreams, the dream characters have no problem with me flying. But if I try to float about 6 inches above the ground, the characters completely freak out and tend to point and scream in terror.

When I read that I started visualizing it and it made me laugh pretty hard.

Here is a good site I found on lucid dreaming. www.dreamviews.com...

It also has a message board. good luck

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
i am pretty sure that i had a "great" dream while i was sleeping but my alarm clock woke me up (at 6:45) and i had to get ready for school...

i usually wake up before 6:45 by myself (because, i guess, my mind hates the sound of it so my mind wakes me up)...

but today, i slept all the way to 6:45...

i guess i was close

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:05 AM
link   

i am pretty sure that i had a "great" dream while i was sleeping

You are 'pretty sure' so that means you do not remember it?

I notice you never answered my question about the Dream Diary, and your comment above makes me think you are not keeping one.

Lucid Dreaming does not happen just because you want it to, you have to put in effort. A Dream Diary is part of that effort. A number of people here have gone to the trouble to give you advice and it would be nice to think you were serious about this.

First you need excellent recall, then if you are lucky and really work at it you can become Lucid. There are no short-cuts.

A.T
(-)

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
i didn't mean to make anyone mad Alexander Tau...

yes, i didn't remember my dream...

and you are right, i am not keeping a dream diary...

i know i should...

so, what i will try is, when i wake up i will write down what i remember about my dreams...

waking up in the middle of the night and writing down my dreams (as some sites tell me to do) will not work for me because of school...

if i must do it this way, i will wait until the soonest week off i have...

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
You did not make me mad, just rather disapointed.

Pretty much everything you read about Lucid Dreaming starts with working on recall, and while there are probably some other techniques a Diary is by far the best.

It does not have to be a full story of what you remember, just enough to help you to keep it in mind after you wake up. Most people remember something of their Dreams for a bit after waking but then as they move into the day it slips away, a little scribbling helps to overcome this.

Example: I was at a park, my friend Ted was there, we chased after a unicorn and then got something to eat. The grass looked funny, it was more blue than green and I remember wondering about that. For some reason I never noticed the sky.

That sort of thing, I used to do it when I was in school myself. So all you really need is a couple of minutes right when you first wake up.

After you have been doing this for a while you will find that you remember more and more details, and that they stick with you just like any other experience. Basically the Lucid state is just super recall, you become so good at remembering your Dreams that you 'wake up' while you are still in them.

A.T
(-)

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I found a couple of tricks useful.

Number 1: Recognize WHEN you fall asleep. I personally feel for the illusion that I am falling. It is somewhat like the bed has become a giant hole, and you are falling into it. I suspect this is where the phrase "fall asleep" came from.

Number 2: Look for impossible phenomina. Instant teleportation, a place you know innately has somehow changed for no reason, stuff like that. I first discovered I was dreaming when I looked around and saw I had wings

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Jeremiah25,

Great advice! I think you really summed up somed up the best techniques!

I remember when I had my first Lucid dream - they don't come easy to me I had to practice like you suggested.

I had always thought it was kinda bogus - but experiencing it was utterly amazing for me - and tho it lasted too short for me it was just as amazing as any book had described - the world conformed to any decision I made and yet kept a sence of coherency and narrative that was outstanding!

The technique which worked best for me was to check my watch several times a day and say the time out loud - that way, when I tried to read it in the dream world, and couldn't, I knew something was amiss.

Unfortunately when I stopped doing this I stopped Lucid dreaming altogether.

I think it's about time I ventured back into that most excellent world again!

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkpr0
Number 1: Recognize WHEN you fall asleep. I personally feel for the illusion that I am falling. It is somewhat like the bed has become a giant hole, and you are falling into it. I suspect this is where the phrase "fall asleep" came from.

An excellent point. In an effort to pick the exact instant at which you fall asleep, there are signs you can look for to let yourself realise that you are close. Darkpr0 has suggested an excellent one. Another I have noticed is that it becomes difficult to hold onto a single line of thought with any degree of clarity. Your mind begins to wander.

When you notice these things happening, try to acknowledge that "Oh, I'm going to fall asleep soon". This will assist you in experiencing lucid dreams.

[edit on 14/9/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Darkpr0 had a good point about pin pointing the time you fall asleep.

Here is my method, it works great at finding the awake/sleep boundry.

Lie down flat on your back and put your elbows flat to on the bed. Raise your forearms until they are at 90 degrees. Then listen to a boring radio show or anything that makes you fall asleep. At the instance that you fall asleep, your forearms will fall and hit the bed. This will wake you up. Keep doing this until you can pinpoint the feeling of the exact point of time before you fall asleep. This is an excellent training method to get you in the state of "mind awake - body asleep". If you do it enough you will be able to feel your arms hit the bed and this will cue you that you are now asleep and your mind is awake. Let the lucid dreaming begin.

You may need to keep a dream notebook and record your dreams.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Easiest trigger event to tell me that I am dreaming is when I am reading something while dreaming. Either I can't make out the words or they change while reading them, then bam I take over and it's lucid time.

Then there's meditiation where you can skip the trigger event and go directly into an OBE or a lucid experience. Takes practice to catch yourself before you fall asleep. I tend to focus on the closed eye imagery as a fall deeper into trance then the scenery unfolds and poof it's flying time. Somtimes you get a strange aural sensation (buzzing) just before you start the REM cycle and that can wake back you up if your not expecting it.

White noise tends to help drown out background noises that may wake you also. Either a white noise generator, a fan, or radio/ TV tuned an vacant channel are ways to make white noise.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
GoldEagle...

w0w...

that seems so simple...

i will try this some time soon...

but for now, a dream diary is what i will start writing...

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Multiple drugs will induce it. Not joking! ha anyway when I took Soma the muscle relaxant it would cause alot of dreams very lucid.

Its funny they named that drug that cause I belive there was some Soma mtyhology in ref to dreams?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join