It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medicine Is Pork To Muslims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Muslims in Denmark just got themselves a little shock. They have just found out that most pills contains gelatine made from pigs. Muslims should never eat pig according to their religion and they are now angry because the doctors never warned them about it.

The Copenhagen Post: Medicine is pork to Muslims

Thousands of unsuspecting Muslims break one of the Koran's most important commandments every day and consume pig meat, as most prescription medicine contains gelatine made of hog's hide, daily newspaper Urban reported.

'There is gelatine in almost every capsule and tablet today. It's also possible to process gelatine from cattle products, but because of the risk of mad cow disease, pig gelatine is the most frequent ingredient in medicine,' said department chief of the Danish Medicine Agency, Finn Clemmensen.

Fahmy Almajid, immigration consultant, said he found the discovery shocking. 'I've never heard before that medicines contain pork residues, and the average Muslim doesn't have a clue, either,' he said. 'Since Muslims will do anything in their power to avoid eating pig, I find it grotesque that doctors do not warn them about it.' Michael Dupont, chairman of the Organisation of Practicing Doctors, however, rejected the idea.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I agree with the doctors. They should not spend their time informing different religious people about contents of this-and-that-medicine when it does not concern any medical matters. They can ask in the drug store or read the label on the medicine-package if it is important for their religion.

[edit on 2006/4/29 by Hellmutt]

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I agree, the said Muslims who are enraged at this should have been more astute and read the labels; however, who would have thought such pills were made from Pigs?

Luxifero

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Hey this new to me too, my father is no muslin but a seventh day adventist they do not consume pork either.

So I am concern now, does the US has pills made from pig gelatine too.?

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Luxifero

who would have thought such pills were made from Pigs?

Actually, I think most pills contains gelatine made from pigs. And not just in Denmark. I bet there are pills elsewhere in the world as well containing pig gelatine. The risk of mad cow disease make them use pigs instead. And most muslims are probably not aware of this.

the article

pig gelatine is the most frequent ingredient in medicine

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I am actually more surprised that no Muslim doctors or pharmacists noticed something like this much earlier than I am knowing that pills have pig ingredients in them.

I think that in extreme circumstances, that eating pig can be condoned in Islam. For example, if you are on a desert island and haven't eaten anything in three days, and a wild pig walks by, I think they are allowed to kill and eat it. In that case, it is the lesser of two evils, since it is worse to allow yourself to die.

From the article:

Almajid, however, said he feared Muslims would even die rather than eating pills containing pig products. He said the Koran allowed people to consume pork if it was essential to survive...

So for vitally important medicines, it shouldn't be an issue even to a Muslim. For medicines that would not result in death or serious harm if they were not taken, like a vitamin C pill (no idea if vitamins have pig gelatine in them, just using as an example) then that could be a different issue for them. Any Muslims care to comment on what they think of this?

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Its a doctors job to give prescriptions based on a person religion?

Also, its not as if these people willing and knowingly took these drugs knowing what they contained, so whats the problem here?

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0le
so whats the problem here?

It could be that now that they know, they may not wish to take them, which could be problematic for them due to lack of alternatives.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia

Originally posted by C0le
so whats the problem here?

It could be that now that they know, they may not wish to take them, which could be problematic for them due to lack of alternatives.

There are a lack of alternatives for lots of things.. And alot of people who are forced to find an alternatvie to a certain drug, do so not because there religion says they have to, but because there bodies cant take a certain ingrediant, and they may be SOL..

These muslims have a CHOICE here, They choose not to take it because of there religion, not because it will have ill efects on them..

So that argument isnt valid.

[edit on 12-9-2005 by C0le]

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Lots of stuff can be produced using pigs or thier cells such as heparin, insulin (Most is recombant DNA from humans now) etc. You would be surprised.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Hey hellmutt... guess this thread was bumped?

anyway, my 2 cents..

This i would say will also concern veggies as well as muslims.
I think that it is the responsibilty of the person taking the medicine to read the info leaflet that acccompanies your medication. It is important to do this and your a fool if you don't. i personally do this religiously to check if i fall into the 'people at risk' catergory, and also to check for side effects - i read every inch of the leaflets. I guess they shouldn't eat the chewy gummy vitamins or haribo style sweets either. Again, they come with a list of ingredients, not warnings - ahh, i correct myself, you get veggie warnings on foods but usually when it 'IS' suitable for them, not when its not

s&f - interesting topic

[edit on 5-5-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
this should be classified as the same thing as a coffee cup that warns of the contents are hot..

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   
no muslims know that gelatine contains a pork product

I dont think your giving them enough credit

then again its not like they all know, and even so who cares

i dont get what peoples hang up is about pork, i love bacon!

i like scrapple!
their so missing out! ah well more for me!

nom nom nom

top topics

join