It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: New FEMA Head Reportedly Named by White House

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Just hours after the resignation of Michael Brown, the White House has named R. David Paulison to replace him as FEMA director. Paulison is a career firefighter who had experience dealing with Hurricane Andrew and other disasters. FEMA came under much criticism for its slow response to Hurricane Katrina.

news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - Federal Emergency Management Agency director Mike Brown resigned Monday, three days after losing his onsite command of the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. The White House picked a top FEMA official with three decades of firefighting experience as his replacement.

R. David Paulison, head of FEMA's emergency preparedness force, will lead the beleaguered agency, according to two senior administration sources who spoke on condition of anonymity because the announcement had not yet been made.

Paulison is a career firefighter from Miami who was among emergency workers responding to Hurricane Andrew in 1992 and the crash of ValuJet Flight 592 in the Florida Everglades in 1996, according to a biography posted on FEMA's Web site. He also has led the U.S. Fire Administration since December 2001, according to the site.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wow that was fast! Obviously Brown's departure wasn't much of a surprise if they had a new person lined up already. It looks like this guy has some good experience, so hopefully he'll bring more competence to FEMA.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Mike Brown Removed from Katrina Recovery Duties
NEWS: Disbelief - Former FEMA Officials Speak Out
(submission) (news) FEMA Boss Resigns - Breaking News

[edit on 9/12/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Well at least this person has Emergency Management experience.

The other guy was just a bust.

I personally believe he was the equivalent of a patient going in for heart surgery and being told "Your surgeon has no medical experience, but he's pals with the hospital chairman, good luck."

Good luck to the new Director, he has his work cut out for him.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I still haven't heard confirmation if the rumors about Brown are true, but I guess some of them are since he was fired.

A question. When are they going to fire the governor of Lousiana and the Mayor of NO? They are as much to blame as Brown, since it is their responsibility to have helped evacuate these people and they had a lot more resources at their disposal yet they didn't use them.

[edit on 12-9-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Isn't it suspicious and damn right wrong that ... FEMA didn't allow water, food, or other supplies to get to New Orleans? ... and the result is the Whitehouse naming a NEW head? It's a conspiracy, I say.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
WOW...
I am beyond amazed...
it must be getting cold in hell...

We actually have a QUALIFIED person in a presidentially appointed post...
I guess our government is learning that it is better to give by merit than by monetary obligation...
to the shrub... all hail the great and mighty shrub...

but be glad... we may have lost a FEMA head...
but the country has gained another horse inspector...
and which one is more important of a job anyway?

[edit on 12-9-2005 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 11:47 PM
link   
The new FEMA head is apparently duct tape guy. Remember when everyone ran out to buy plastic sheets and duct tape to protect themselves from chemical weapons? Wonderful.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

[edit on 9/13/2005 by Flinx]

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 06:29 AM
link   
One thing sticks out over the years...Democratic presidents tend to appoint people who actually have experince in the field which their department oversees while Republican presidents tend to appoint people who are activily opposed to the departments they are hired to oversee. Can there be any question to which approach has the most positive approach? What an original idea, appointing somebody who actually knows something...we ought to try it for president.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   
In another gesture symbolizing the continued confusion of the federal response, the man President Bush immediately named to succeed “Brownie,” proves to have been the same FEMA official who, two-and-a-half years ago, suggested that Americans stock up on duct tape to protect against a biological or chemical terrorist attack.

msnbc.msn.com...

I wonder what his credentials are...

Sorry, i guess someone mentioned it before me

[edit on 13-9-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
And this is why you must stock-pile on goods....

Paulison brings an extensive resume to the post. He ran fire operations for Miami-Dade County in Florida, and was past president of the International Association of Fire Chiefs. But in light of the response to this hurricane, another comment he made at the time of the Duct Tape announcements rings especially loudly. Paulison said in February, 2003, that in the first 48 to 72 hours of an emergency, many Americans would likely have to look after themselves.

I don't trust this guy either.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
this administration reminds me of a skit on the old saturday night live in which (I think) Chevy Chase playing Carter gets up and in his best southern accent says......"My fellow Americans, you're on your own. Good night."
!!! Unfortunately this administration means it.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
If more could have been done in the first 73-104 hrs, then many more lives would have been saved...
I think 48-72hrs is reasonable time to be prepared for...
with lots of duct tape and plastic of course...

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valerina

Paulison said in February, 2003, that in the first 48 to 72 hours of an emergency, many Americans would likely have to look after themselves.

**being a hands-on...& first-responder kinda man....
mr Paulison sums it it up quite well.....i.e. Expect To Rely On Yourself, at least at the onset!!

....all those who want to be wards-of-the-state, & Dependent on government to think and provide for you, even in a time of immediate distress & disorder & confusion, must be prepared to endure some degree of hardship & stress for a period of time.

Originally posted by Valerina

I don't trust this guy either.

in the rear-view-mirror, from which i look at things....
its not mr Paulison i wouldn't trust,
rather,
its the larger bureaucracy which will make NULL & VOID
All of mr. Paulsons' attempts to correct policies and lead or redefine the protocols & mission objectives of FEMA.

so, I don't trust FEMA.(looking at the track record)
Mr Paulison, on the other hand, will need to disprove himself before the public before i can say
'I don't trust this guy'

peace, ya'll

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
A question. When are they going to fire the governor of Lousiana and the Mayor of NO? They are as much to blame as Brown, since it is their responsibility to have helped evacuate these people and they had a lot more resources at their disposal yet they didn't use them.

simple, because they are ELECTED officals.

And from what I have learned, the govener did ask for federal help 3 days BEFORE the hurricane hit. (Aug 26th)

on aug 27 the mayor declared a voluntary evacuation, also on the same day, President Bush declared a Federal state of emergency in Louisiana under the authority of the Stafford Act . The emergency declaration provides for federal assistance and funding and assigns to FEMA, by law, the responsibility for coordinating relief efforts

On aug 28th the mayor decalred a MANDATORY evacuation as called on by Bush, and the National hurricane director the previous day. Every availible bus was used to bring people to the superdome, but was quickly overwhelmed

AUg 29th katrina made it's second landfall on the LA coast

FEMA director Brown also urged local fire and rescue departments outside Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi not to send trucks or emergency workers into disaster areas without an explicit request for help from state or local governments." Brown sought the approval from Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff five hours after landfall to activate 1,000 Homeland Security workers into the region. Brown acknowledges that this process will take two days. Brown's memo to Chertoff described Katrina as "this near catastrophic event" but otherwise lacked any urgent language.

you might want to read this, instead of listening to spin on events and distorted timelines.
en.wikipedia.org...

THere is enough blame to go around, But I doubt the Govener and Mayor are truely at fault more then Brown and Bush. Inaction and refusal of aid are part of the problem people have with Brown and Bush.

top topics

join