It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun-Free Areas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Ever since Ohio passed the concealed-carry law (you can have a concealed weapon if you go through training first), just about every business around here is a gun-free zone.

That is just plain RIDICULOUS. Why don't they just put up a big, red, round TARGET instead? Because that's what they're doing, in essence.

Everyone knows that if something is outlawed, only outlaws will do it--by definition. Can you imagine a mass murderer wanting to go into Wal-Mart and start shooting up deciding, oops, better get rid of the gun before I go in? Yeah right!

Those signs, IMO, are saying, "Go right ahead and do your shoot-out--the law-abiding citizens in here won't be able to protect themselves!"

You should be able to carry a gun and carry it anywhere without going through red tape. It's your Second Amendment right.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   
You are absolutely right. That is why I carry anyway, I disregard the signs.

I also don't have a CCW. The Constitution is the Law of The Land.

Roper

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roper

Roper

I just wish these gun-control nuts would figure that out. I hear that in Switzerland, you're required to have a gun in your home. Crime rate there is pretty low.

Hmmm...maybe I can brush up on my French and move there....

And you're right, the Constitution IS the law of the land. I just wish our elected officials would stop breaking the law!

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I have been looking for this just in case you didn't know Amethyst.

In 1982, Kennesaw, Georgia (home of Georgia State University) passed a law which made it MANDATORY for all homeowners to possess a firearm. In less that a year, Kennesaw's burglary rate dropped 60%.

Roper

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   

In 1982, Kennesaw, Georgia (home of Georgia State University) passed a law which made it MANDATORY for all homeowners to possess a firearm. In less that a year, Kennesaw's burglary rate dropped 60%.
Roper

Could you please provide a link to that? (Especially the part about all homeowners being required to possess a firearm.)

Back in the '90's, I read about a town in Georgia that passed a concealed weapons permit and the crime rate dropped markedly. We're probly thinking of the same town.

I've never heard of anyone being forced to own a firearm, tho, anwhere. It's a bit hard to believe.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 07:27 AM
link   
ECK I can't fine the news article, I am sure that is what you want but go here third paragraph from the bottom. 13 year old girl wrote this piece.

www.keepandbeararms.com...

Roper

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Roper

Hey, I am all about the 2nd (I even go so far as to include WMDs as protected under the 2nd) but you have to respect property rights as well. Remember, the person who put that no-gun sign up OWNS that piece of land, and as such has every right to exclude anyone from being on it, to include cat owners, people who don't wear shoes or shirts, or gun owners.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout
Hey, I am all about the 2nd (I even go so far as to include WMDs as protected under the 2nd) but you have to respect property rights as well. Remember, the person who put that no-gun sign up OWNS that piece of land, and as such has every right to exclude anyone from being on it, to include cat owners, people who don't wear shoes or shirts, or gun owners.

I just hope that those property owners realize that when they put No Gun signs up, they're basically putting a big target on themselves. As I said before, someone who wants to go in and start a shooting spree is not going to pay any attention to the no-gun sign.

Basically places who prohibit guns aren't showing a lot of intelligence. That's my whole point. Just call a no-gun zone an invitation-for-mass-murder zone.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Smart 13 year-old. She writes better than some adults!

After some digging, I came up with a link I'm satisfied with. After some ammending (in '83), the ordinance was relaxed a bit to conform with those who wished not to participate.

Aside from some revisions in 1983, which exempted conscientious objectors, low-income families, religious objectors, and those with a criminal record, the law has remained unchanged, she said.

One thing is certain here, gun ownership is a very useful deterrent to crime.

Here's the article:

Politics Fuels Mandatory Gun Ownership Laws
By Eric Erickson
CNSNews.com Correspondent
September 11, 2001

(CNSNews.com) - Kennesaw, Ga., is a quiet suburb of Atlanta, where citizens are proud of their school system. Residents say it's a quiet place with an intimate feeling.

And behind every door, in theory, is a loaded firearm awaiting anyone who dares to unlawfully enter a home.

In 1982, the Kennesaw City Council voted to put into effect an ordinance that requires the male head of the household to keep at the ready a firearm for the protection of his home and family.
www.cnsnews.com.../Culture/archive/200109/CUL20010911b.html

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Yup, that is it, I couldn't find it anywhere.

You all should see one thing blaring at you and that is criminals are cowards and look for easy prey.

Roper

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Really - That's like thinking that a bank robber will just change his mind when he sees the "Bank robbing's wrong" sign. You think after all that planning and scheming and working up the nerve to rob a bank, he's just gonna stand there, dumbfounded that he's not "supposed" to do what he's planned?

And don't all those people calling to "get rid" of ALL guns realize that only the law-abiding citizens will "give up" their guns, and then the only people that have guns will the be the criminals?

I don't own one, I don't want to, I'm afraid of them, too tempting to use on myself - but who am I to say my neighbor can't have one?

If I put up a sign requesting that no one bring a gun into my house or business, then those that respect the wishes of others, and have some common courtesy won't bring one in - on the other hand, If they are the kind of person that would use a gun on another person for any other reason than self defense, then they will probably just leave it tucked into their pants and bring it on in.

Also, I think "concealed weapons permit" is an oxymoron - That's like expecting someone to get a permit to cheat on their wife, we'll call that the "secret rendezvous permit" - or get a permit to kidnap someone, we'll call that the "unwilling relocation permit". I think it's just another way to make money for the state or county that you have to pay to give you the permit. There's a reason people "conceal" weapons, because they plan on doing something that they don't want people to know they have a weapon for.

If I was going to have a gun for "self defence" purposes, I'd wear that sucker duct-taped to my hand, loaded and cocked for everyone to see! - Letting a criminal know you are prepared to defend yourself will probably eliminate the need to defend yourself. But I realize that this isn't the old west, and you're not supposed to reveal that you have a weapon unless you are law-enforcement. Ooooh, silly rules of society, when will they finally make sense?

I just want to make sure that when the "Phaser" is invented, I can have one of my own!

[edit on 9/22/05 by paulthefourth]

[edit on 9/22/05 by paulthefourth]

top topics

join