It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Katrina: FEMA dry run for imposing Martial Law?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
This was found by a Google news search on the phrase "I just got back from a FEMA detention camp". Scary and reccomended reading.

Attacks on democratic rights, breaching legal barriers: FEMA and Katrina: REX-84 Revisited
The "Black Curtain" around FEMA's Operations

by Kurt Nimmo
kurtnimmo.com

September 11, 2005

If you believe the corporate media, FEMA is simply a bungling and inept emergency management agency and its director, Michael Brown, according to the Washington Post, is simply an "accidental director" and "the failed head of an Arabian horse sporting group who was plucked from obscurity to become President Bush's point man for the worst natural disaster in U.S. history" and, as the Boston Globe notes, "got the job through an old college friend who at the time was heading up FEMA.... Brown -- formerly an estates and family lawyer -- this week has made several shocking public admissions, including interviews where he suggested FEMA was unaware of the misery and desperation of refugees stranded at the New Orleans convention center." In short, the corporate media would have us believe Brown is a clueless lawyer and former horse trader and FEMA an unresponsive federal bureaucratic leviathan wrapped up in red tape. But this does not explain the following:

FEMA refused evacuation help from Amtrak; it turned away experienced fire fighters and first responders; it turned back Wal-Mart supply trucks; refused to allow the Red Cross to deliver food; blocked a 500-boat citizen flotilla from delivering aid; turned away generators and other equipment (see this page with links to news stories). In other words, FEMA went out of its way to deny aid and allow people to die from dehydration, starvation, and lack of medicine and medical help. In addition to denying aid, and thus killing an as of yet (and possibly forever) unknown number of people, FEMA is attempting to control media access to the worst natural disaster in American history (see Journalist Groups Protest FEMA Ban on Photos of Dead). Moreover, journalists and photographers have been assaulted by troops and had their notebooks and cameras confiscated (see The Eye of the Hurricane by Matthias Gebauer).

Source

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Yep, that's pretty much the question going through my head. Supposedly they have the power to suspend the Constitution or something--you wouldn't have ANY rights left.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
All i know is, the way things are going now, i dont care rather you are pro gun or anti gun, i suggest you buy one soon...

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
If you have yet to read the executive orders outlying FEMA's powers I suggest you do so. Scariest thing I've read in a while. I won't post them here as they have been posted many times on ATS alone and you seem to be proficient with google.

I'd buy a gun if I could but I fear I am behind enemy lines already living as I do, in New York City. I hope to get out soon at which point I will arm myself, for now I must make due with my knowledge and trusty bug out kit. I have spent much time pondering what might happen to me if it finally hit the fan. I have come to the conclusion that the government couldn't possibly control all of NYC in a martial law situation and given the lack of such a plan I don't think they intend for this place to still be around.

"Those who died first were the lucky ones" Sarah Conner-Terminator

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Even with foreign troops on our soil, I doubt they could place the entire USA under martial law. I'm thinking bits and pieces at a time.

Foreign troops would have no problem firing at us.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight

I was wondering when someone would bring this up.

Based on what I'm seeing, if this really is dry run for martial law, then we have little to fear anytime soon.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0le
All i know is, the way things are going now, i dont care rather you are pro gun or anti gun, i suggest you buy one soon...

Amen brother, as much as we disagree here on ATS, that is some sound advice. If you need a good idea of what a serious collapse of a system can be like, watch The Road Warrior.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I just saw him announce that he's stepping down from FEMA chief.

I think i heared them say that he is being raplced by an ex-firefighter who worked in FEMA under the Terrorist part????

I think this article is pretty straight on the money there. Perhaps FEMA should be renamed the "Federal Emergency Maxminization Agency".

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic

Based on what I'm seeing, if this really is dry run for martial law, then we have little to fear anytime soon.

Yes, that occured to me. The only cold comfort I am taking from this is that this supposedly razor-sharp secret government might turn out to be a laughable failure should they ever try to impliment such plans. Reams and Reams of plans were written for this highly anticipated event which seem to have been out the window in the face of reality.

I still think however there is some possibility that what looks like incompetence could be something far more sinister...

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

fema would first have to take out the courts and state govt to declare martial law.

Hurricane Katrina
Contrary to many media reports, martial law has not been declared in New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, because no such term exists in Louisiana state law[4]. Rather, a state of emergency has been declared, which does give some powers similar to that of martial law. On the evening of August 31, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin did declare "martial law" (in name at least) in the city and said that "officers don't have to worry about civil rights and Miranda rights in stopping the looters." Another common rule during riots and disasters is a curfew from sunset until sunrise. [5]

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic

More like a wet run actually

[edit on 13-9-2005 by HowardRoark]

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by opensecret1150
This was found by a Google news search on the phrase "I just got back from a FEMA detention camp". Scary and reccomended reading.

In an amusing illustration of the power of google the phrase "I just got back from a fema detention camp" now returns THIS THREAD at the top of the list!

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I just googled "I just got back from a fema detention camp" and abovetopsecret.com/forum/fema is number one.

Sanc'.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Can I Quote You On That?

Originally posted by sanctum
I just googled "I just got back from a fema detention camp" and abovetopsecret.com/forum/fema is number one.

The difference is the quotes. If you put quotes around the entire search phrase, Google will return only those links which match the phrase exactly.

Yet Another Interesting Googlism.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by opensecret1150

The "Black Curtain" around FEMA's Operations

by Kurt Nimmo
kurtnimmo.com

September 11, 2005

FEMA refused evacuation help from Amtrak; it turned away experienced fire fighters and first responders; it turned back Wal-Mart supply trucks; refused to allow the Red Cross to deliver food; blocked a 500-boat citizen flotilla from delivering aid; turned away generators and other equipment

And for good reasons. Sound managment under difficult
conditions friend.
Rapes, murders and crime has allready risen in areas which
are housing the Katrina refugees. Representatives of the
NAACP are attempting to convince the local communities to
embrace these people. Degradation of American values,
security, overall public health, social values are under
now under attack.
Now that they have been uprooted by Katrina into Houston
one can only brace for a new flood of social destruction.
Public knowledge of the NAACP looting and vandalism within
the hurricane effected areas has come to light. Attempts
to establish a new foothold in refugee areas by their own
radio station broadcasting thier political agendas has
been eliminated by FEMA.
"The project was unplugged even though it had key
support. On Monday, the Federal Communications Commission
quickly granted temporary licenses to broadcast inside the
Astrodome and the adjacent Reliant Center. The station
was also backed by the Houston Mayor's office and Texas
governor Rick Perry. But local officials said FEMA
bureaucrats KO'd the station-dubbed KAMP "Dome City
Radio"-because of "security concerns."
Common sense has again prevailed to protect Americans
from a new threat. Who could have forseen a domestic
threat emerge from a natural disaster. Generations of
people with criminal intent have been confined to this
area which was destroyed by Katrina. Lack of economic
opportunity provided a actual barrier for these people
to be restricted from our society.
I ask, How long after the storm subsided did it take
for these people to emerge only to attack the very own
areas they live in?
Relief workers were attacked and came under gunfire
which was revealed on worldwide news as they attempted
to enter affected areas. Thankfully proper action was
taken to protect these hardworkers of humanity from harm.
Beware of efforts from the NAACP to socially santize
surrounding areas housing Katrina refugees for the
emergence of violence and crime.

top topics

join