It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AUSTRALIA Copperhead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Lowland Copperhead Austrelaps superbus

Copperheads are very shy retiring snakes. They are prolific breeders and, like tiger snakes, rely heavily on frogs. They are more likely to be seen earlier in the season, as they prefer cool weather. It is usually found around water.

Not much is known about the venom. It is known to have a neurotoxin and its venom also has a powerful anticoagulant. The venom is myotoxic and is a moderate activator of complement.

Their young are born live.

The pygmy copperhead occurs in the Adelaide Hills, Fleurieu Peninsula and Kangaroo Island.
It is now rare in the Adelaide Hills and Fleureiu Peninsula and is listed as threatened in those areas.
It feeds on small skinks. Its venom is assumed to be similar to that of the lowland copperhead, Austrelaps labialis however venom yields are much lower
homepages.ihug.com.au...

This snake is limited to Victoria, Tasmania, the highlands of New South Wales and possibly the southern parts of South Australia, including some Bass Strait islands. It is the only venomous snake found above the snow line, and may be active in weather generally considered too cold for snakes. It hunts during the day, except on hot days, when it is active at night. Copperheads are attracted to swamps, rivers and creeks, where they hunt for frogs, reptiles and small mammals. They also eat other snakes, including their own young.
The copperhead is solidly built, with a small head. Coloration is variable, from dark brown to light copper., with a light abdomen. Juveniles (and sometimes adults) may have a dark stripe on the back and a collar on the back of the neck. A red stripe is sometimes present on the flank The lip may be striped in white and brown. Average length is 1.2m, maximum 1.83m. The litter of 18-20 is born alive, and are lighter in colour than adults.

Bites to man are rare, as copperheads are generally slow to strike and may be inaccurate. It produces an average venom yield of 26mg (maximum 85mg). The venom has neurotoxic, procoagulant and myolytic activity, but rarely causes fatalities. Envenomations may be effectively treated with tiger snake antivenom.
(This snake should not be confused with the north American copperheads, of the Agkistrodon genus.)

Australian copperheads are usually of medium size, only rarely being more than about 1.8 metres long, and have a moderate build. Their colour varies a great deal, from a coppery mid-brown to yellowish, reddish, grey or even black, depending on the individual. The copper head colouring that gave rise to the common name is sometimes present, sometimes not. Some individuals also have visible markings just behind the head.

www.avru.unimelb.edu.au...

[edit on 12-9-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
It seem people are more intrested in the pictures instead of discussing them, so I will move on. It is a shame there are so many that would amaze you. It was worth a try, good day.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Show pictures of peoples' faces and body parts all distorted after being bit by one of these things and your thread will blow up!!!

I'd love to visit Australia one day but I would be so paranoid of snakes that I would never be able to enjoy myself. I would have to walk around in waders.

Peace

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Interesting Info!

After looking at the pictures I must say it doesnt really look like a copperhead.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by I_s_i_s
After looking at the pictures I must say it doesnt really look like a copperhead.

It's not the American one. Same name different country. I run into the American version all the time playing golf. I've found that they don't hold up too well when you run over them with a golf cart.

Peace

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Interesting Info!

If you read the bold text just above the close up of the face. It will tell its not the typical copperhead.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

Interesting Info!

If you read the bold text just above the close up of the face. It will tell its not the typical copperhead.

Yes thanks for the kind words. I'm just expressing my opinion that it doesnt qualify to really be called "COPY CAT copperhead" when it doesnt really look like one.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

Interesting Info!

Yes thanks for the kind words. I'm just expressing my opinion that it doesnt qualify to really be called "COPY CAT copperhead" when it doesnt really look like one.

I will change it to AUSTRALIA Copperhead.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I think I am going to be moving on tho some of my favorites. From all over not just one country. Up to now I have just showed snakes with true fangs, no constrictors, I myself Have an 8 foot boa .

I will still be in the fanged type for a bit, then to constrictors.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Australia has many dangerous snakes but I don't think the copperhead here is as venomous as the American version. 9 out of the worlds top ten deadliest snakes are found in Australia.

We have brown snakes that are deadly

The brown snake is common, I have found one in my backyard near the kids playing. It left them alone and slid off under the garage.

Then we have tiger snakes, so called for their stripes. They are a viscious lil snake that attack without provocation to unwary bushwalkers.

www.australia.org.nz...

One of the most dangerous snakes in Australia. It is very common and can bite humans. It has a very potent neurotoxic venom that attacks the nervous system. Although it can be timid, it is aggressive and attacks any intruder when aroused. It flattens its neck making a narrow band. This snake is the one most likely to be trodden on as it does not escape when it first detects human footfalls approaching.

They like swampy areas and near rivers and lakes as their favourite food is frogs. They may climb low trees or shrubs to eat young birds.

Most Tiger Snakes have black bands, however some do not have bands. The is a great variety of base colour, ranging from light grey, through shades of red, brown, olive to black.

The theres the death adder.

Death Adder

Although death adders look and behave like vipers, they are members of the cobra family. Because there are no vipers in Australia these adders have evolved to fill that ecological niche. Their potent, fast-acting venom and sluggish habits make them responsible for a high proportion of Australia's serious snakebites. To capture lizards, birds and small mammals, the death adder lifts the brightly colored tip of its tail, slowly waving it to mimic the movement of a caterpillar. As the unsuspecting animal ventures near the lure, the snake secures its prey with a quick strike.

Northern Death Adder

The death adder is well named: its potent, fast-acting venom accounts for a large number of Australia's serious snakebites. This snake uses a clever trick to catch lizards, birds and small mammals. It lifts the brightly colored tip of its tail and slowly waves it, mimicking the movement of a caterpillar. As the unsuspecting prey approaches the lure, the snake pounces on it with a quick strike.

There are many other snakes in Australia along with a large collection of sea deadly and other creepy crawly deadlys. We get scorpions here but they are ot once again as poisonous as ones found In the USA and other places.

Worlds Top Ten Deadly Snakes
www.abc.net.au...

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Thats ok I wasn't commenting on your abilities. I saw your thread and wanted to add a couple of other snakes to it. I have been a WIRES foster carer (Wildlife Rescue Emergency Services) myself for over ten years now and have a love of snakes but a wariness of fangs.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Did you look at the links? its all the snakes you mentioned and more.

top topics

join