It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The bicycle business is booming as gas prices rise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
people are looking for alternative means of transportation due to the higher gas prices. Bicycle shops around the country are booming with customers willing to save gas.

Pretty soon we'll be buying a horse and buggy.

Article excerpt taken from the following URL:
www3.hutchnews.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">www3.hutchnews.com... 0405.html

Buses and bikes appealing to more

By Sarah Kessinger

Harris News Service

Bob Updegraff, owner of Harley's Bicycles, poses with some of the bicycles for sale in his shop at 629 North Main. With the recent rise in gas prices, many people are looking to alternative means of transportation, such as riding bikes. Photo by Lindsey Bauman

As gas prices zoomed toward the ozone this week, Bob Updegraff at Harley's Bicycles in downtown Hutchinson heard about it.

"Everybody who walks into the store says, 'Wow, I bet your business is up,' " the storeowner said Thursday afternoon.

Bike vendors and public transit operators elsewhere in the state agreed oil prices could be fueling a new trend in low-gas or no-gas transit as Kansans look to other means to get to work and school to ease pocketbook strain.

[Sidenote: A blessing and a curse in one? On the good side, maybe it can help rid america of it's obesity problem?]

[edit on 9/12/2005 by jeepin4x4girl]

Mod edit: Please do not post entire article, a paragraph or two is sufficient.

[edit on 12-9-2005 by parrhesia]

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Its so funny to see my neighbors across the street getting in the morning in their small motor bikes to go to work. While her minivan and his truck stays at home.

I guess anything is good if it save gas.

new topics

join