It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqi President Jalal Talabani Thanks 'Heroes Who Came to Liberate Us'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
The Iraqi president Jalal Talabani, the current ELECTED leader of the Iraqi people spoke at the Pentagon last week. It appears that he is of the opinion that the coalition led by the USA has been very successful liberating the Iraqi people from an oppressive dictator. And he regrets how the media portrays the state of Iraq today. Talabani, the elected representative of the Iraqi people, is thankful for the US’s help and says they are proud to be partners with the US in the fight against terrorism.

Story here

"We owe to those American heroes who came to liberate us from the worst kind of dictatorship," Jalal Talabani said at the Pentagon after meeting with Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, U.S. Ambassador to Iraq Zalmay Khalilzad and other officials.

"Thanks to your brave Army, now Iraqi people (are free)," he said, adding that for the first time Iraqis have freedom of expression, political parties, media -- "of everything."

And another great Talabani quote:

He said "the glorious American people" have paid the price for others' freedom throughout history. "You in the United States have paid hundreds of thousands of your sons and your boys in fighting against fascism and in liberating Asian people," Talabani said. "Thanks to you, you liberated Afghanistan from the worst kind of reactionary regime; you liberated Iraq from the worst kind of dictatorship."

And the MOST important quote from the Iraqi President:

"The situation in Iraq is not only black or negative," he said. "I am sorry to say that media was reluctant to reflect the real picture of Iraq."

And lastly:

We are supporting you in your policy in the Middle East; we are proud to be your friends," the president said. "We are proud to be your partners in fighting against terrorism, and we are grateful to you."

Iraq and the USA, partners in the fight against terrorism and the fight for Democracy in the Middle East.

VIVA IRAQ!

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
He's not the leader of Iraq he's just the President.
Ibrahim al-Jaafari, the Prime Minisster, is the leader of Iraq.

I have no doubt that Talabani is grateful for the US presence because he is a Kurd and they have benefited more from his war than perhaps anyone else.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
He's not the leader of Iraq he's just the President.
Ibrahim al-Jaafari, the Prime Minisster, is the leader of Iraq.

I have no doubt that Talabani is grateful for the US presence because he is a Kurd and they have benefited more from his war than perhaps anyone else.

The Kurds and the Shiites.

When I was serving over there, a day didn't go by that my Iraqi friends didn't thank god for us being there.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I really do think that the media does only portray the negatives of Iraq.

I hear alot of good things have happened and that there are many people that are glad we came.

My Political Science Proffesor once gave us an extra credit assignment that was to record from a US news source any clip that would show how great another country is ......

checked the local news and other stations.....

16 weeks passed and no one got the extra credit....

-Reason

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   

"We are proud to be your partners in fighting against terrorism, and we are grateful to you."

So he's speaking for whom here? His cabinet? His family? Or all of Iraq?

So when a politician comes out and say his entire country feels a certain way, he is always accurate?

When Bush makes a speech, and says "America wants this and that", is he speaking for the entire 360 million Americans?

People, he was invited to Washington to talk with those with the money. Is he going to stand there and say "Wow, crap, am I glad to be here in Washington, Iraq is a huge mess right now. Pass the Dom."

"The president of the United States and the government of the United States are absolutely determined to see this through to victory and success and to see the Iraqi people off on a path towards a democratic future and a successful future," Rumsfeld said.

At least Rumsfeld is actually politically savvy enough not to say THE PEOPLE. He says the president and the government. Which is exactly what Talabani should have said. He doesn't represent Iraqis.

Democracy takes TIME, and it's messy, and it CAN'T come about under military occupation. They may come up with their OWN brand of democracy that is only similar to the US brand, but not the same.

And they WILL, but only once they are out from under the thumb of an imperial occupier.

By the way, as Americans in 100% of support of the War in Iraq, how many of your own young people are you willing to altruistically send to their deaths to ensure another country's prosperity? If the Ugandan president massacres 5000 of his own people, are you going to up that number so that Uganda can get some freedom too, or is it a total sum of the "liberation forces" that you are willing to sacrifice all over the world?

jako

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Did anyone notice the the source of the story here? The Department of Defense! My question to Skippy would be, has the Department of Defense website ever published a story that was anti-war? How can a website leans in one direction all the time be taken seriously?

Peace

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I have no doubt in my mind that many seeking power in Iraq with the help of the US thanks and kiss the dirt we step on.

But as nice at it sounds I still have to wonder of what really the Iraqi people wants.

Nobody ask the majority but only the selected few.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Did anyone notice the the source of the story here? The Department of Defense! My question to Skippy would be, has the Department of Defense website ever published a story that was anti-war? How can a website leans in one direction all the time be taken seriously?

Peace

Meaningless where it came from. The fact is Talabani made these comments last week. He really did say this, so what difference does it make who reports it?

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Dear skippytjc,

I understand, that you're trying to show us news where Iraqis praise the US for their acts, but I would like to ask you - what else can Talabani say? He was chosen by the Iraqis, but the elections were achieved because of US led "help".

I think it will be completely political non-sense for him to say something else. I'm not saying that he is not right (this is for other debate), but I'm just pointing out that this is his agenda. For now, his statements are worth (for me) like flyers from US Gov PR offices.

And he spoke at the Pentagon? Another point..

[edit on 2005-9-12 by zer69]

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Zer,

Talabani has a more informed opinion about the situation in Iraq than you or I ever will. And what he says represents his opinions, regardless what building or country he says it in. It is your perogative not to believe him, but thats at your peril. Regardless of which side of the fence your beliefs fall on, the bottom line is an official elected by real live Iraqis says things are better than portayed by the media and the Iraqi people are thankful for the US's help.

If your non-Iraqi, media fed opinion, is different than that then thats your right. But that doesnt change that somebody who is actually there representing those Iraqis states otherwise.

I for one, believe this as I am pro Iraqi and want nothing more than their success. Its to bad that more people dont see past the negative media blitz and see that the people of Iraq are happy to be without Saddam and look forward to a more democratic Iraq.

But, we all see what we want to and you want to see a destroyed Iraq at the hands of the Americans, so thats what you see even though Iraqis say something entirely different.

[edit on 12-9-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Talabani has a more informed opinion about the situation in Iraq than you or I ever will.

Thats true.

I Regardless of which side of the fence your beliefs fall on, the bottom line is an oficial elected by real live Iraqis says things are better than portayed by the media and the Iraqi people are thankful for the US's help.

I would like to believe in this too.

If your non-Iraqi, media fed opinion, is different than that then thats your right.

Frankly, I'm not looking/reading at that kind of media.

I am pro Iraqi and want nothing more than their success.

Me too.

But, we all see what we want to, and you want to see a detroyed Iraq at the hnads of the Americans, so thats what you see, even though Iraqis say something entirely different.

Actually you're really mistaken here, I would like to see it the same way like you, of course not a destroyed Iraq.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
skippy:

Its to bad that more people dont see past the negative media blitz and see that the people of Iraq are happy to be without Saddam and look forward to a more democratic Iraq.

Ya, the thing is, the Iraqis are too busy getting blown to shreds and having to deal with electricity, gas, and water shortages, and 60% unemployment right now to be able to properly thank their saviors.

The news that you get, even though you say it is all so anti-Iraqi, fails to actually show the reality.

I have yet to see on US TV the scattered guts of dozens of Iraqis who died in a carbomb while waiting at the supermarket. I haven't seen innocent people lying on the pavement with their chests shredded from the bomb, wetly gurgling and gasping for air as their lungs fill with blood and they drown in their own fluids. I haven't seen a father numbly picking up pieces of his daughter so that he can find enough to bury her.

Because THAT'S the reality. They NEVER had to deal with ANYTHING like this until the United States of America invaded their country. Even Saddam at his WORST had enough control over THEIR security that there were no mass killings of civilians every week.

As bad as it was, people weren't willing to kill themselves and their countrymen in order to bring about change, was there? The first carbombs in Iraq started after the US "liberated" its' people.

So sorry if I sound like a nay-sayer but the negative media blitz is NOTHING compared to the REALITY of what people there right now have to deal with.

jako

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Excellent post, jakomo, well said all around. I think that this incessant drumbeat from the adminitration bootlickers that we "never hear any good news" is getting old, frankly---has it ever occured to them that the bad news outweights the good by about a ten to one margin??????? If even the incompetent misntream press is having a hard time finding "good" news in Iraq, there really msut be none. As for the comments in question on this thread----no kidding! The man is a puppet! What they hell lese is he supposed to say? He'd better follow the script a little closer than our last puppet dictator in Iraq, though---he was okay in our book until 1990, but then things got dicey, and look how he ended up. I'm sure our new puppet regime , now that they have seen what hppens when one veers from the script, will mind their actions very carefully indeed.
---Ryan

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakomo

The news that you get, even though you say it is all so anti-Iraqi, fails to actually show the reality.

I dont question the news I see that you speak of. I question how much of that represents all the news. Bad news sells, good news doesnt. People are getting blown up, but hospitals, schools, infrastructure, etc, is getting improved and is making amazing leaps and bounds daily.

Its a sad state of affairs when the actual President of a nation can say something about his nation and people like you who have never been there and only know what you see over the media dont believe him because thats not what you want to believe.

For every person that dies in an attack in Iraq right now each day, many MILLIONS more dont and have a normal day. And more and more of them are enjoying a life they didnt have the day before that includes new freedoms as well as a better enviroment.

But naysayers like you ignore this, even though the very president of the nation says otherwise as it does not fit your opinions or agendas.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I'd care if the real reason we were in Iraq was to liberate them. I'm glad they're happy, but more importantly, I'm still pissed.

[edit on 13-9-2005 by white4life420]

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
good post! Iraqi President Jalal Talabani is a good president for the Iraqi people... and will bring and spread Democrecy throughtout the country

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
skippy:

People are getting blown up, but hospitals, schools, infrastructure, etc, is getting improved and is making amazing leaps and bounds daily.

Look at it from an Iraqi point of view:

WHO destroyed the hospitals, schools, bridges, electrical utilities and other infrastructure with massive bombing raids? You're saying the Reconstruction is going well? YOU DEconstructed it many, many months ago, and it has yet to be fixed.

Its a sad state of affairs when the actual President of a nation can say something about his nation and people like you who have never been there and only know what you see over the media dont believe him because thats not what you want to believe

I would say it's a sad state of affairs when the puppet leader of a puppet government can talk highly of his conquerors/handlers to boost THEIR political currency, and people swallow it as truth. These are not people talking on the street, these are politicians.

For every person that dies in an attack in Iraq right now each day, many MILLIONS more dont and have a normal day.

Lol What? Ok, so 15 Iraqis died today in bomb attacks. 12,569,456 DIDN'T! Is that actually what you're saying? It's not a total failure till all of them are dead?

And more and more of them are enjoying a life they didnt have the day before that includes new freedoms as well as a better enviroment.

Back that statement up if you can. New freedoms? They still have curfews in many Iraqi cities.

Better environment? With unexploded clusterbomblets, Depleted Uranium and dud ordnance lying around it is somehow better?

Here's the daily reality:

dailywarnews.blogspot.com...

Seven unidentified bodies found in Rustumiya, hands tied and shot in the head. Six civilians killed and two wounded when gunmen attacked an estate agent's office in the Shu'la district of western Baghdad. Two policemen killed and three civilians wounded by gunmen in Kirkuk. At least six Iraqi soldiers killed or wounded by a roadside bomb in Fallujah. A senior judge from the northern Iraqi town of al-Dawr was assassinated with his brother by gunmen in the nearby town of Is'haqi.....

....Seventeen men dragged from their homes and shot to death in Taji by men in Iraqi army uniforms. Two US soldiers wounded in suicide car bomb attack on their convoy in eastern Baghdad. Roadside bomb attack on a US convoy in Baghdad, no casualties reported. Six bodies, shot to death, blindfolded, and with bound hands, found near a garbage dump in Taji. Interior Ministry police official shot to death in Baghdad

Let the good times roll!

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Jakomo, you said it all. We went to find WMDs, then since they didn't have any of those, we decided that the real reason we came was to give them democracy. Maybe we should have taken a vote on both sides before we went?

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I want to clarify something.

1) We didn't originally go for WMDs.

2) We didn't originally go to liberate them.

3) We didn't originally go to stop genocide.

4) We didn't originally go to rebuild the nation.

5) We didn't originally go to stop terrorism.

Why did we originally go?

[edit on 14-9-2005 by white4life420]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc

The Iraqi president Jalal Talabani, the current ELECTED leader of the Iraqi people spoke at the Pentagon last week. It appears that he is of the opinion that the coalition led by the USA has been very successful liberating the Iraqi people from an oppressive dictator. And he regrets how the media portrays the state of Iraq today.

Well one only needs to look at his Bio to get some understanding about this.
For one, he was not the elected leader as Ace pointed out and secondly, he would NEVER say a bad word about the US.

Long seen as one of the most prominent faces of the Iraqi oppossition to Saddam Hussein, Talabani had bitterly campaigned for the removal of the regime.

At the time of the 2003 invasion of Iraq, Talabani continued to lead the PUK and had international respect and recognition for being a leading member of the Iraqi opposition which had remained within the country during the rule of Saddam Hussein. He was appointed by the United States as a leading member of the Interim Iraq Governing Council and held the presidency during the month of November 2003. He has distanced himself from the movement for Kurdish independence, pledging to support Iraqi federalism at least for the time being.

Following the Iraqi elections on 30 January 2005, Talabani was named President of Iraq under the Iraqi Transitional Government by the transitional National Assembly on 6 April.
en.wikipedia.org...

You can take this as proof of great things happening in Iraq but i'd take it with a grain of salt and expect it to be yet another attempt at getting some favorable opinion in the papers before the world turns it's attention back to Iraq.

The Pentagon used the same tatic last year, i think it was after the US election when the press had a few weeks off from reporting much from Iraq.

I'd expect Iraq to have a lot of bad things happen to it in the next few weeks, probably a few more 'nearly got him' stories about Al-Zarqawi as more bombs go off and more 'insurgents' are killed.

[edit on 14-9-2005 by TheShroudOfMemphis]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join