It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Criticises US over Climate Change

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:17 AM
link   
John Prescott, UK Deputy Prime Minister, has gone on record to criticise the US government for refusing to sign the Kyoto protocol. In addition, Prescott mentioned New Orleans as an example of changing weather patterns and rising sea levels due to climate change. Mr Prescott also said that the US was 'wrong' for not joining or supporting the Kyoto Protocol alongside the UK and other industrial nations.

news.bbc.co.uk
In a speech in Berlin, Mr Prescott took a swipe at the US government, which has refused to sign the Kyoto Protocol.

He told the International Congress of the Council for European Urbanism that climate change was to blame for rising sea levels and more storm activity.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While many still believe that global warming is not caused by human activity, that is no reason not to do what one can to address environmental concerns. When Bush told the world that the US would not take part in the Kyoto talks, many nations were aghast. It not only seems arrogant but ignorant as well, considering the amount of resources the US uses up.

I am not blaming the Katrina disaster on environmental negligence, as I believe this was brought upon by lack of foresight and the incompetence and mismanagement of officials (both local and federal). But as Loam points out very well in some of his posts, the environmental consequences AFTER Katrina are serious and not to be ignored.

The US needs to start addressing some of the alarming concerns in the aftermath of this disaster. Maybe taking part in something like Kyoto would allow them to have more recourses to global solutions and to prevent or reduce the impact of some of these climatic changes from happening in the future.

If i'm not mistaken, wasn't Mr. Bush also at the head of the environmental committee and subsequent papers that decided that humans weren't to blame for global warming?

[edit on 27-9-2005 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:59 AM
link   
You have got to love John Prescott, the man that punched a protest a protestor in the face whilst he was deputy Prime Minister. If any one in the government would have the balls to say that, he's the man. Good on him I say

new topics

join