It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tigers, tigers, oh-my

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Tiger snakes

Tiger snakes are found in the temperate areas of southern Australia, including Tasmania, where they are particularly large and venomous. Identification of tiger snakes by the presence of stripes is unreliable, since this varies with the seasons and the maturity of the snake, and there is also an unstriped black species (N. ater). Several other venomous and non-venomous Australian snakes may also be striped. Features of tiger snake envenomation include neurotoxicity (caused by pre-synaptic and post-synaptic neurotoxins), coagulopathy and rhabdomyolysis.

One of the most dangerous snakes in Australia. It is very common and can bite humans. It has a very potent neurotoxic venom that attacks the nervous system. Although it can be timid, it is aggressive and attacks any intruder when aroused. It flattens its neck making a narrow band. This snake is the one most likely to be trodden on as it does not escape when it first detects human footfalls approaching.

They like swampy areas and near rivers and lakes as their favourite food is frogs. They may climb low trees or shrubs to eat young birds.

Most Tiger Snakes have black bands, however some do not have bands. The is a great variety of base colour, ranging from light grey, through shades of red, brown, olive to black.

The common tiger snake is found in southern and eastern Australia. They are usually around a metre long, and have a striped marking (hence the name Tiger Snake). This is not always the case however, as the markings can change due to the seasons and the age of the snake. They can grow up to 1.5 metres in length.

These are venomous snakes, and will attack if they are disturbed or threatened. Otherwise, they can live quietly. They are also often territorial, and will live in the same area for years. They are also found in suburban areas, even in the newer suburbs.

One elderly women was bitten by a tiger snake while she pruned the ivy on her fence, in Kew (an inner suburb of Melbourne, in 2003). Death resulted from this bite. However this is quite rare these days, as anti venene is readily available.

These snakes feed on all types of creatures, they happily feed on frogs, fish, small birds and other small mammals. They also eat other reptiles such as lizards.

This heavy built snake is not especially aggressive but it is a big breeder. Eastern Tiger snakes are found in rainforests, river valleys, flood plains of main river systems where they feed mainly on tadpoles and frogs. They also love swampy ground. They are active mainly by day or at dusk, but in hot weather they turn to hunting at night

Other names: Mainland tiger snake, common tiger snake.

Appearance: Broad head, heavy build. Its back usually has 40-50 cross- bands of yellow or cream on background of grey, green or brown. Belly is cream, yellow, olive or grey.

Size: 1.8 metres.

Birth: Live litter of 30.

It has a flat blunt head. They are able to flatten their whole body when they are annoyed or basking in the sun. The way you can tell when a Tiger Snake is about to strike it is in a S shape. When it is in a S shape the muscles are being tightened and ready to strike. These reptiles are more likely to be stepped on than most species. Instead of moving away when it detects approaching humans, it often allows people to come very close, within a step or two. Snakes have scales under their bellies. They use their scales to help them move along. They use a slithering motion to get around. That movement is called slithering. (moving from side to side)

teachit.acreekps.vic.edu.au...

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Another awesome post by the one and only SpittinCobra.
Thanks for continuing the series, its really informative.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
i love yellow corn snakes they are amasing like all snakes but something about the yellow corn snake makes me smile and it amases me!

here is a pic.

oni x x

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
hay hay. no getting off topic, I will get to the corn snake when I get to northamerica. If you like I can use your pic in my post.

Very pretty by the way, and they dont eat corn. hehe

FYI it is albino, notice the pink eyes.

[edit on 11-9-2005 by SpittinCobra]

top topics

join