It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trying to learn how to use the site

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I just became a member and need to learn how to use the site please...anyone out there to help me get started...how do I check my posting and replys? Thanks.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
welcome to ATS

this handy link provides lots and lots of info

Zedd's Handbook of ATS Links

but to answer your question, you can keep track of threads you create and respond to or have interest in by subscribing to them and adding them to MyATS

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
myATS shows all your subscribed forums and threads, which can also be found here. myNEW shows you new posts in those same forums.

It might also be a good idea to check out Board Information forum, it has a lot of helpful information, a lot of which can be found in the handbook.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Also, look at the icons at the top of the page. Those icons lead to pages that will hlep you navigate around ats.

nre posts:

MyATS:
You can go into and edit this page to include all the forume you want to watch. It will also include, on the right, all the pages you have either posted to or decided to subscribe to.

search

FAQ

mCenter:
The ATS store and your u2u's.
You need 20 posts to u2u with members. You can u2u with mods and senior staff at any time.

Another function is the Gripe/Idea button.
You can complain about a post that breaks the rules, or commend a member. Or, if you have an idea to make ATS a better place.

[edit on 11-9-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Hey Jackson Evangelin,

Well you took the first step by making this post

Now your on your way.

I will help guide you through ATS so ask all the questions you need to,

I started a thread for new members to ask questions about things they were unsure of so it might be worth having a look through it,

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Asala

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Welcome! I remember when I asked that very question.
You've already received some great help. I wrote this up for a friend. Maybe it will help you, too.

How I use ATS

Buttons along the top that I use:

Settings - To change my personal settings (re-set time zone every time)
Gripe/Ideas – To report posts, gripe about something or submit and idea
Members - A list of ATS members (for when I’m feeling nosy)
Search – Site Search Tool
**MyATS – A collection of my subscribed forums and threads
**My NEW – Recent posts in my subscribed forums
Mcenter – The private messaging center, upload pictures, spend points

**I use these to maneuver around the boards and catch the new posts in my areas of interest. Here are some pointers on using those 3 buttons.

Subscribed Forums:
These are forums that I’m interested in. There are 2 ways to subscribe to a forum:

1) Click on MyNew. At the top, you will see:
Displaying today's recent posts in your subscribed forums. (edit subscribed forums)
Click on ‘edit subscribed forums’ and turn ON all the threads that you wish to subscribe to and hit ‘submit’ at the bottom.

OR

2) Click on MyATS On the left side, you will see:
Your Favorite Forums (edit forums)
Click on ‘edit forums’ and turn ON all the threads that you wish to subscribe to and hit ‘submit’ at the bottom.

I subscribe to 5 or 6 at a time and change them depending on my mood. The newest 6-8 threads in your subscribed forums show up in blocks on the left side of your MyATS page, with your subscribed threads on the right side.

Subscribed Threads:
You can subscribe to a thread by posting in it or by going to page 1 of the thread and clicking on the “subscribe” button at the top. That thread will then appear in the list on the right side of ‘MyATS’ page.

MyNEW gives a list of all new threads in your subscribed forums.

NewPosts gives a list of new posts in either ATS, PTS or BTS, depending which board you last visited. For example, to see the new posts in ATS, click the small ‘ATS Board’ button at the very top right of the page, and once ATS loads, click NewPosts.
Click BTS, then NewPosts to see the new posts in BTS.
Click PTS, then NewPosts to see the new posts in PTS.
(you will have to log on to all 3 boards)

Pointers:
- Get accustomed to looking at the time when you leave the board, then you’ll be able to tell by the timestamp on the new posts if you’ve seen them or not.

- Keep your subscribed threads list (right side of My ATS page) fairly short, deleting the threads you’re no longer interested in. I keep mine around 15.

- Start small. Subscribe to 3-4 forums until you get the hang of it and then expand.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Another option is to just to subscribe to all forums on all boards. That way you don't miss much. After you do this, just click on "My New" and all recent threads on all boards show right up.

[edit on 12-9-2005 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Here's a quick tutorial I posted ages back about how to use MyATS, definitely the secret to taming the ATS beast. Some of the buttons have changed their looks and positions, but not by much, and the text is still the same:

Navigating around MyATS

Click the MyATS button at the top to take you to "MyATS".

The MyATS screen looks like this:

At any time from any screen, you can click the MyATS button (A) to return to this screen

The area on the left (B) is your favorite forums. If you click the "(edit forums)" button, you will be taken to this screen:

Simply turn the forums you want displayed in MyATS on, and turn the ones you don't want to see off. Hit the "Submit" button at the bottom and you will be taken back to MyATS and the forums displayed should have changed.

You can move each forum's "frame" around by using the red or green arrows on the top of each box (C). Pressing a single red arrow will move that forum down one slot. Pressing the triple red arrow will move it to the very bottom. The green arrows on the top left of a box will have the opposite effect, moving the forum up one slot, or to the very top as is the case.

Your subscribed threads are displayed on the right side of the MyATS screen (D). When you reply to a thread, you will automatically be subscribed to it. You can also subscribe to any thread at any time by pressing the button which is at the top left of the thread as you view it. As each subscribed thread is replied to, it will be bumped up to the top of the list. If you have replied to the thread you will see your username next to it. If you later see somebody elses name next to it, it means someone has replied after you. To visit the thread, simply click on its title. To visit the last post in a thread, click the double red arrow after the title. You can also manage your subscribed threads in a similiar way to your favorite forums by clicking the "(manage)" button.

Have a play around with it, and after a bit of trial and error, you'll be flitting round the forums like a seasoned veteran.

Hope this helps and welcome to ATS.

[edit on 2005-9-13 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
A lot of info to take in. That's the nature of ATS. If you have any questions, just u2u me, no problem. I'll start, look in the upper right hand corner, it will say you have X# of u2u's.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I think the best way to navigate the site in the beginning is to configure MyATS to subscribe to all forums and to prune as you see what rings your bell. MyNew and New Posts can keep you apprised of what's happening "now."

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
An ATS All My Own

Add me to the list of members who would be DIW (Dead In the Water) without MyATS.

On my browser's favorites bar, the entry named "ATS" points to the MyATS page.

When I come to ATS, MyATS is always the first thing I see, and I can't recommend it too highly.

It is teh roxxor!

Once you configure MyATS the way you like it, you'll be able to navigate the entire ATS universe like an old pro.

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   
How do i change my log-iun password. what was given to me by ATS (a couple of different ones by now as i have sent off a couple of times for new ones) in not memorable for me.

also, when i went to chat it said this: We're sorry, due to abuse of our chat by some new and not-so-new members, you must have at least 200 posts to use chat on ATS. You only have 24 posts.

i have posted more than 24 times.

yes i have looked at the FAQ. i really would appreciate help on the password thing and in understanding why chat says i only have 24 posts. thank you anyone who can help.

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
hey Floh

firstly to change your password,
go to settings top left of the page

just type in a new password in the space, click edit pro havwfile,
then it will log you out and just re enter with your new password,

as for chat you need to have 200 posts to enter, at the moment you have 24 posts, so you have a little while to go yet,

please feel free to contact me if you need any help

If you have any questions feel free to u2u me

You will find your u2u's in the member center

and also there is a message when you recieve a u2u

also need help getting your avatar up (or pic in your profile) check out this link

Want to post a pic in your thread.
how to post a pic on a thread

want to change your password to something you remember? look for this tab at the top of the page, there you can edit your profile and password

top topics

join