It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9/11--Fourth Anniversary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Just curious...what are you all doing now, and what were you doing four years ago today?

Right now my mother is visiting from Detroit and she's sitting here watching Stripes (with Bill Murray). My 3-year-old is rubbing his face into his pillow, which has a Bob the Builder pillow case on it.

At any rate, four years ago I was 6 months pregnant with my son. I'd gotten out of bed and was surfing the Net when someone on a message board said turn on the TV.

I must have spent at least 3 days glued to CNN.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Even though it's been four years, I still don't like to talk about it, and I can't watch it on tv. And in a weird twist of fate, I met the only woman I ever loved sitting on the stone benches they had at the WTC, outside of where 'Border Books' used to be. We have since split up, and I don't even have the WTC anymore.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
same thing I was doing 4 years ago. working and thinking about the friends that were there that morning. The view is different, the emotions haven't changed.

I really feel for the families of those that died. It is hard as hell to move on when someone dies. Harder still when it was sudden and completely unexpected. Trying to move on and having an annual reminder like this, while important for the nation, must take it's toll on the families.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I can remember, it was lunchtime at work and only me and another one of the guys seemed to really acknowledge what was happening. We didn't have a TV though so we were only listening to it on the radio.
After work that night when we saw it on the TV we just couldn't believe it, I still can't believe it now.
I got a lovely pre 9/11 Manhatten skyline night time photograph last Christmas and I just put it up yesterday in pride of place on the living room wall, probably a fitting time to have put it up actually.

[edit on 11-9-2005 by AgentSmith]

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I was in 10th grade and I was taking my class picture. I still have that picture to this day.

What shocks me the most is how unsurprised I was by the attack. I don't understand why it didn't shock me as it did other people. I felt like I had expected it to happen all this time.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I was actually in bed that morning 4 years ago, when I received a call on my cell from my brother. I was groggy from just waking up to the sudden sound of my phone ringing, and I forget his exact words.... something along the lines of "they're attacking the World Trade Center." The first thought that came to mind was the Russians firing missiles at the WTC in their Mig jets, and that we'd just been blind-sided by our former foe.

As I watched the events unfold on television, I immediately knew, as did my brother, that this was the work of terrorists under direction from Osama bin Laden. My brother and I had been interested in terrorists and their organizations for years. bin Laden was a household name to us long before 9/11 and the USS Cole attack. I've always read about suicide bombers, Hezbollah, Hamas, al Aqsa Martyr's Brigade, PFLP, Black September, Islamic Jihad, Egyptian Jihad, and so on. So I was no terrorism novice as many who awoke on 9/11 to a new world were.

I watched the events unfold with anger and rage. I was so enraged that anyone would do such a thing, and target innocent civilians on such a large scale. Those were mothers and fathers and sisters and brothers and daughters and sons who were doing the most basic and simple American thing- going to work. They were putting food on the table for their families. Most of them didn't know about the plight of the Palestinians, or our billions in yearly aid to Israel, or our support for an oppressive regime like the House of Saud. Nor were they directly responsible for any of it.

I remember calling virtually everyone I knew. They all shared in my anger and horror. Then I remember thinking of my father, who had died a month earlier. I wondered what he would think. I wondered if maybe God had spared him from the horror of the attack and the terrible times that lay ahead.

That afternoon, two of my best friends and I went to the local hardware store and bought every remaining American flag. We then went to every local Arab-owned gas station. We discussed the events with the turbin-topped men who normally pumped our gas. We had them join in with us in renditions of "God Bless America." They held the American flags with us and posed for pictures (which I still have and should post sometime, they're pretty funny.) I remember another local Arab-owned gas station had closed, and their employees fled in fear of reprisals. The local Arab-owned "quickie mart" was staffed by an undercover police officer, perhaps waiting for something to happen and to protect the innocent man behind the counter.

It was an awful day. One that I never imagined would ever happen, but was not too surprised once it did. I remember the anger. I remember the rage. I remember the tears running down my mom's face, and her asking me if we were going to be okay. I remember the uncertainty. That night, I remember the calming words of our Commander-in-Chief. I remember it not mattering whether we were Republican, Democrats, Independent, Christian, Muslim, Jewish, black, white, red, orange... we were all Americans. And for the days, weeks and months that followed we saw an unparalelled level of patriotism- one which I think we should always have had regardless of the events in the world- and one which is once again absent today. How I wish for that pride, unity, patriotism, and love for our fellow man to return... but without the horrible circumstances.

Well, I hope I didn't rant on too long!

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I was in Yr 10 or 11 doing my Gcse's....now I'm off to Uni. Seems odd that's 4 years ago. In a blink of an eye it will be 10.

Time flies.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I did the motorcycle run to ground zero today...I went on the back of my husbands bike so I could take photos the entire run...My husbands fire department headed the bike run, with a solo fire truck driven by one of his officers, Engine 248. The Motorcycle cops the fire truck and then countless motorcycles behind...It was amazing...WE all bottlenecked in the Bronx......rollin thru the Bronx with a thousand bikes...Taconic pkwy, to Saw Mill pkwy, to the Moshulou PKWY, to Major Deegan...159th st the Henry Hudson....to Ground Zero.

Last year, his department staged trucks down the Taconic parkway in Westchester, this year they were asked to head the bike line, it was an honor...an earned honor......

4 years ago we were there...and the New York City suburb volunteers supported the city departments in the first emergency response...They supported the bucket brigades and the heart wrenching first efforts of recovery...anyway...when I get the pics tomorrow I will be happy to upload them and add them to this thread...I need help with the upload once I scan them in, because I dont know how to do it.

Peace for all tonight

Kris

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I was talking to friends on IRC, and someone said a plane had flown into the WTC. I said "lol" assuming they were joking. I went to turn on the TV and was shocked to see that it had really happened. Like many, I thought it had been an accident. Then I saw the second plne hit. I knew then that it was no accident. My friend online said "we're at war." I said "God, I hope not." Then someone said another plane had hit the Pentagon. My friend said, "NOW we're at war." Another friend said, "The whole world most likely just collectively said, 'ohhh crap...what are they gonna do now?" I am still saddened to this day that our leadership's decisions in the wake of this terrible event have confirmed those fears.

My main thoughts on that day were the screams as the buildings fell, and how overwhelmed by the empathy and sorrow I felt. I hoped, and still hope, that their families can find some measure of peace and relief from their loss. Whatever you believe happened, we can all agree that it was a great tragedy.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I was in school. During passing period I see one of my friends who asks me if I had heard what happened. It wasnt till I got to my next class after we all got a jerry rigged tv set up that I really understood since when my friend told me about the towers being hit I didnt realise the extent what was really going on (even then it was difficult to believe) . School was cancelled soon after and I went home only to be glued to the tv for who knows how long.

[edit on 11-9-2005 by Brian697]

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I was at boarding school and neighbours had just finished. Everybody was getting up to go out when they interrupted television coverage. At first i thought it was a smoke stack because Bush's rejection of the Kyoto agreement had been in the news not long ago.
Then a female presenter voice said "you are watching live pictures of the world trade centres in New York on fire" at that time only one tower was on fire.
We all watched it quietly and then quietly talking at first. Then the TV showed a repeat of the first plane go in. I thought it was anti capitalists because they had been protesting outside there against world poverty ect only a short time before. I thought they must have hacked into the aircrafts navigation control (it didn’t occur to me that it might be non-Europeans and i thought it unlikely to be suicide bombers). I actually said to some friends the tower will come down. They asked why and I said its because its made with reinforced concrete and metal will expand quicker than concrete.
Then the second plane hit (and that got people talking) then a friend of mine Alex Grandy half laughed saying "they are going to be pissed!!".
Then a teacher came in telling us to get ready for games but we persuaded him that what we were watching was historic and when he saw he agreed.
I then rushed round the school telling as many people and teachers as possible what was happening. I spoke to my housemaster and he was really laid back (wouldn’t even go upstairs to watch it).
I was truly excited, not because i have a problem with Americans but because i knew that a new world was opening up before my eyes.
When I came back the first tower had come down, I told my housemaster again and he still wouldn’t come up from his study. When I got back I had about ten-fifteen minutes before the second came down. Wow it was one of the best news days of my whole life!! Shame of course about all the people dying but there's nothing you can ever do about it. Basically everyone was excited in ether the same or similar way as I was.

Our school had been quite prone to taking the mick out of Americans and their culture. We would often see them as tourists visiting the Abbey.
But one day after 9/11 there was a cut out from the paper of a U.S flag in the window of the school tuck shop. It was from that moment on i knew things would really change. (The flag picture stayed there for about a year).

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Photos of the 9/11 motorcycle run to Ground Zero that I talked about on a previous post in this thread can be found on 4sonsphotography.com. This was a huge run....The pictures dont do it it justice, but they are better than mine. I couldnt get the perspective from the bike.

new topics

top topics

join