It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Programme transfer help?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Hey all. Can anyone help me please?

On my computer, my user account is set as administrator. My buddy asked if he could use my pc every now and then, to which I agreed but he was wondering if it was possible to use some of the programmes in my account on his account?!?
His is just a standard account.

(I hope this is making sense
)

I've looked through my pc's help menu's on this matter but couldn't find a solution.

Can anyone tell me how to share my programmes and software with his account (?) or does he need to download them himself?
(Most of the stuff he want's to use is what i've downloaded from the net)

If he has to download them, then won't that mean that i'd have doubles of whatever he downloads stored on my hard drive?? Won't that be taking more space on my hard drive??

Any help will be greatly needed. This is bugging me. :bnghd:

Thanks.

p.s: Sorry, one more thing: my keyboard is a little screwed I think. When I press a certain key for a symbol to come up ie; pound sign, dollar, percent, it comes up with something totally different. Why is this?

[edit on 11/9/2005 by redize]

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Right click the programs you wish to share, then click "Properties" followed by the "Security" tab and add your friends' user account into the "Groups or Usernames" box. That should do it.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Hi SkyFox2, thanks for replying.

I just gave it a go and there is no security tab. The only tabs available are General, Shortcut and Compatibility.

I looked for anything to do with user groups under these tabs but again it proved fruitless.

I was selecting properties on the desktop shortcut for the programmes, but nothing. Then I went into control panel, add remove programmes and tried it from there and the only option available was to remove the programme.

Any other ideas?

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   
You were looking at the properties of a short-cut. You need to find the file itself then check its properties. If you don't know where that file is, check START - All Programs and see if you can locate it there. Or better yet, in the General tab it should tell you the location. The Start In line is what you're probably gonna be looking for. For Yahoo Instant Messenger it'll say "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger." You would wanna copy/paste "C:\program files\yahoo!\" into the address bar of your browser and right click the "Messenger" folder for properties.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Hey, I checked the general tab again and looked for its location like you said. It was in HDD (C: ), program files.
I then right clicked it (in program files) and lo and behold, there was a sharing tab!!!

Thanks alot for your help. I'm so computer illiterate I would never have found that.

Thanks again

p.s: I take it I can share other programmes the same way then?

[edit on 11/9/2005 by redize]

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Yes of course, all program files within your system are shared in the same maner.

No problem. It kinda surprises me though that it took 45 minutes for someone to come along and help you out. I guess all the tech people are offline? Crazy...

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkyFox2
Yes of course, all program files within your system are shared in the same maner.

No problem. It kinda surprises me though that it took 45 minutes for someone to come along and help you out. I guess all the tech people are offline? Crazy...

Yeah, I noticed that but i'm just appreciative that anyone answered.

Ok, i've definitely got it now. I'll definitely be on here sometime soon again, no doubt
Take it easy.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkyFox2
You were looking at the properties of a short-cut. You need to find the file itself then check its properties. If you don't know where that file is, check START - All Programs and see if you can locate it there. Or better yet, in the General tab it should tell you the location. The Start In line is what you're probably gonna be looking for. For Yahoo Instant Messenger it'll say "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger." You would wanna copy/paste "C:\program files\yahoo!\" into the address bar of your browser and right click the "Messenger" folder for properties.

An easier way if you have a shortcut (either on the desktop or the start menu or whereever, is to go into the properties of the shortcut and hit "Find Target" it will open up a new window where the shortcut points to and will highlight the relevant file.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 03:29 AM
link   
You're absolutely right! I can't believe I didn't think of that, I mean the buttons right there! Amazing that up until about a month ago I was in school studying to be a Network Administrator and having no trouble with the courses academically, huh? heh

top topics

join