It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.S Peace Activist Arrested In Australia - Threat to National Security

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Parkin was an anti-war advocate, and opposed to the coalition's presence in Iraq. Perhaps the Australian gov't did not want him to lead protests which would embarass them.

Mr Parkin, who had participated in protests against the Forbes CEO Conference in Sydney last month and was due to deliver a workshop on non-violent protests when he was detained, rejected Government assertions he was involved in violent political activity.

"I am a student of mass social movements in the tradition of Mahatma Ghandi and Martin Luther King jnr and I think that these movements have shown us the way to achieve positive social change," said Mr Parkin.
www.stopwarcoalition.org...

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Thanx Jsobecky

this taken from the same link.

Rory Gutterson, Melbourne activist and friend of Scott Parkin said, “This action demonstrates that activists will continue to target corporations involved in the occupation. The treatment that Scott has received is indicative of the kind of powers the government is trying to exercise against those who oppose the occupation under the guise of the ‘war on terror’."

I would agree with him if Iraq type situations are all he is against(Iraq yes),some wars however are sadly necessary (Hitler for example) so if he is antiwar outrightly i cant agree with him if that is the case.But none the less should not have been arrested imo.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Latest news on this is that they've billed him the cost of holding him and deporting him............ I think the bill is around $37,000 from memory.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by mulberryblueshimmer
Latest news on this is that they've billed him the cost of holding him and deporting him............ I think the bill is around $37,000 from memory.

Nice. That's like the Chinese communist government that executes dissidents by a bullet to the back of the head, then sends the victim's family a bill for the cost of the bullet.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace

Originally posted by mulberryblueshimmer

Nice. That's like the Chinese communist government that executes dissidents by a bullet to the back of the head, then sends the victim's family a bill for the cost of the bullet.

Then minces them for beauty products so i`ve been reading.Shocking all round.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join