It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mystery of the Lost Island 'Roanoke .

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2003 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Have you guys heard about he Roanoke Island mystery? It is really amazing.

It was in about 1590, an English settlement unexpectedly arrived in Roanoke. Shortly after the arrival the commander of the expedition returned to England in search of supplies and additional settlers hoping to return in a few weeks, but he didn't after till the next three years due to Spanish.

When he returned he found the island utterly deserted, with no clue to the settlers fate other than a cryptic inscription "Croatan". I wonder what it means!!!

Many say the colonists were slaughtered by the natives due to hostilities of early English arrivals to the island. Others say, the colonists left their settlements and eventually joined the native society, ultimately becoming entirety assimilated.

What do you guys think about that?

I apologize if someone had already posted something like this or related to this.

Surfup

zed

posted on Sep, 6 2003 @ 12:09 AM
link   
There seems to be an official account on here.

statelibrary.dcr.state.nc.us...

I think that after they 'mistakenly' attacked the Croatoan Indian village, the Indians killed them If they had joined them they would be alive 3 years later. Even if they had assimilated, which I find unlikely considering English Colonial attitudes, there should be some genetic evidence.

The CROATOAN inscription could mean that they were attacked by the Croatoan or had gone to the island of Croatoan.

posted on Sep, 6 2003 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I am not sure, but was there any evidence of a struggle or fight? If there was a fight, they should be some bodies or blood, if the natives were cannibals or there should be something indicating it. But, only Croaton on a rock, why not write anything else? Like we are being attacked, Help.
If I was in the same position, I would have written Help not Croatan. And about the English Colonial attitudes, you may be right, but if you were such a person, you would be from a noble or rich society, but most of the people who came there were settlers, or people trying to make money. There are only theories and it seems that it is a pretty dry subject.

posted on Sep, 6 2003 @ 12:16 AM
link   
i agree with zed there, the english likely attacked the "savages" as they were known, they were English settlers, they wanted to get more stuff and killing people who weren't christian was also popular haha,

posted on Sep, 6 2003 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I agree with Zed. It seems likely that they attacked the natives and the natives than killed them. As for the writing on the stone. I don't know what it means. Maybe it had nothing to do with there disappearance.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Apparently, there were some rival indian troops. Also some indians were actually cannibals. If a person ate those people, do you think it would leave evidence? A group a cannibals eat their enimies._javascript:icon('
')

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by surfup

Darn, here i thought the word had been carved into a tree which was the prearranged signal in case they (the remaining colonists) had to leave.
Writing HELP on a rock sounds like a really intelligent thing to do if you got your education from cartoons.......Native americans were not cannibals and the Croatan people did develope some blonde traits after the disappearance. People who go native were seldom accepted back into the colonial mainstream. Bigotry is an incurable disease.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I'm going to have to give this one to Cracked, thy have a better sense of humour.

6 Famous Unsolved Mysteries (With Really Obvious Explanations)

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

Hey Rune the link goes to their main page but not beyond. Couldn't find what you were writing about.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
www.cracked.com...

Hm. Try this one.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

Yes thank you Rune - common sense answer to attempts to make questions sound more mysterious than they are.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

They have some entertaining articles.
Unfortunately, they are for entertainment, so it's taken with a grain or five of salt.
They had a article mor recently about odd things unexplained by science.
Naturally, it was things like the klerptdorff spheres and such.

top topics

join