It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush's Wife Doesn't Know the Hurricane's Name

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
I am not trying to make it a partisan issue you already did that by starting the thread.

How so? I would have called attention to this whether it was Hilary, Laura, or anybody else in or associated with upper levels of government for that matter. Did I make some comment that the Democrats care more about Hurrican Katrina? If I did, please point it out to me. And I'm not even American so I have no loyalty to either party. *shrug*

Everyone is human and everyone can make mistakes, but some prefer to pick on the first lady and I for one feel that is wrong.

As I said, I would have brought it up regardless of who it was. If it was the President of France, I guess you wouldn't be upset with me at this point. Do you seriously think I have some vendetta against the First lady? This must be an American thing, coz I simply don't get it...

As pointed out by my supporting posts idividuals holding office have made similar mistakes yet for some reason you persist in wanting to pick on the first lady. Why is that? Are you saying she is not entitled to a mistake? Sure sounds like it to me.

I don't seem to recall any other people in or associated with government making such an incomprehensible blunder when it comes to major, MAJOR disasters in the U.S. But if they did, then they should be ashamed too, whether they belong to the Democrat, Republican, or Silly Persons Party.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
This must be an American thing, coz I simply don't get it...

Please...
It's not an American thing... :shk: It's a defensive person's thing.

But if they did, then they should be ashamed too, whether they belong to the Democrat, Republican, or Silly Persons Party.

Agreed!

25 Mind-Numbingly Stupid Quotes About Hurricane Katrina and it's Aftermath

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I don't seem to recall any other people in or associated with government making such an incomprehensible blunder when it comes to major, MAJOR disasters in the U.S.

Well it would appear you are out there in left field with your cronies since I do not see this as an incomprehensible blunder. It could have been misspelled on the teleprompter or perhaps a simple slip of the tongue. As I stated everyone and yes that includes both you and I all make blunders with our speech at times, however for some odd reason you want to pick on the first lady and make a big deal out of it, why is that? Is it perhaps something British in nature like the British tabloids, you are trying to make something out of nothing as I see it. It is just too bad you cannot see it that way or you would not be looking for subz for help would you?

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Hey! They're all morons!

We've sure had some doozies, havent we? Except at the presidential level, though. Lets be fair about this.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   

...you are out there in left field with your cronies

My "cronies". That's awesome.

...however for some odd reason you want to pick on the first lady and make a big deal out of it, why is that?

I'm not "picking" on her. I thought I already made that clear. Again, regardless of who it is, somebody in that position should know what the name of the damn hurricane that just killed thousands of American citizens is, whether it's mispelt on a teleprompter (and I think this theory is bogus) or not.

Is it perhaps something British in nature like the British tabloids, you are trying to make something out of nothing as I see it.

Was that meant to be a slur against Britain? Firstly, you obviously have a MAJOR chip on your soldier if you are now going to try to turn this into a Britain versus America thing. And secondly...I'm not even British!!

It is just too bad you cannot see it that way or you would not be looking for subz for help would you?

subz is the champion of cutting through partisan BS and getting to the meat. That's why I put up the Subz Beacon onto the clouds in the hope that he would see it and come to save the DAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY!!! Unfortunately, it didn't work, and *dramatic music* the evil forces of partisan bickering have triumphed...for now.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Why the political bickering people, I don't care if the First Lady is Republican or Democrat or Independant, she needs to know the name of the worst disaster to hit the country her husband leads. It is her duty and responsibility to the American people.

Sure she may not have asked to become the First Lady or to be placed in the spotlight, but she knew what she was getting into when her husband won, and well she's had a few years to practice.

I'm surprised people are still looking at this as republican/democrat when it's plain and simple that, that fact doesn't matter. The fact that she is the FIRST LADY and doesn't know the difference between KATRINA and Corrina is sad, deplorable and reflects very badly on her. My opinion of the woman has changed completely in the past few days. I actually admired her but now I don't. She is a disgrace to every First Lady that ever step foot in the White House.

[edit on 9-11-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Well it would appear you are out there in left field with your cronies since I do not see this as an incomprehensible blunder. It could have been misspelled on the teleprompter or perhaps a simple slip of the tongue.

You really think they set up a teleprompter every where she goes?
Your advocating that she made an innocent blunder yet she needs a teleprompter to be able to talk because she can't speak for herself?

Do you understand the logic your using here?
She should know the name of the hurricane, if she has nothing better to do as First Lady, it should be in the very least to be upto date with the news headlines of her country. That's not very hard to do. If she can't do that and she needs a teleprompter to be able to speak, then she shouldn't be infront of the cameras in the first place.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I'm thinking she probably didn't know the name of Katrina because all she's heard it called is that "g-d f*#($*! hurican" or "that s-o-b of a storm - Shut up! Get outta here!". I don't know. I could be wrong...

[edit on 11-9-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I'm thinking she probably didn't know the name of Katrina because all she's heard it called is that "g-d f*#($*! hurican" or "that s-o-b of a storm - Shut up! Get outta here!". I don't know. I could be wrong...

You're right. Those huricans probly cauzed quite a stirr at the White House.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Ahhhh, Benevolent Heretic, you use your mouth purdier than a $2.00 whore.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 02:16 AM
link   
LOL! 4 pages of how Laura Bush forgot the Hurricanes name?!? You Kerry supporter losers could complain about a stick in the mud for weeks. And then device a plan on how it caused global warming, allowing terrorists to attack us, forced the U.S. to invade the Middle East for oil, and it would all be traced back to Laura Bush who put the stick in the mud in the first place.

You losers don't get it. Your party is out of power, they have NO credibility. The reason for this is because of ridiculous statements/conspiracy theories that you people create that in turn HURT your party.

I invite you to come back to reality. Smell the roses. Learn to be happy. You're OBSESSED with the misery in life. JUST LET IT GO. You're hurting America when you make retarded statements like this.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Faust
I invite you to come back to reality.

I invite you to read the rules of this site regarding broad generalizations and member directed attacks of a sweeping and inflammatory nature for the purposes of political trolling.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I'm not "picking" on her. I thought I already made that clear. Again, regardless of who it is, somebody in that position should know what the name of the damn hurricane that just killed thousands of American citizens is, whether it's mispelt on a teleprompter (and I think this theory is bogus) or not.

Sorry welcome, but to me it appears you are picking on her. I am sure if lets say Jay Leno set up a spot on a street corner and asked more then one person some of them would not even know the name of the storm either. Hell I saw one spot where he asked several who was president and they answered Gore
Get my drift

As for your comment on "just killed thousands" thanks I needed that, it clearly shows even you are not in touch with the real world. At last count I think the death toll is fortunately around 400 at present, not thousands as you asserted. Just for clarity those are the figures given on CNN today and even they like you could be wrong.

Granted by the time all is said and done the toll may be over a thousand, however currently it does not look like it will be that high according to experts.

See; even can make a incomprehensible blunder

[edit on 9/12/2005 by shots]

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Don't you get it? The point here is that anyone in such a high position should know the name of such a high magnitude disaster. Since Laura obviously did not know this, it means she is disconnected from what is going on. It was obviously not a speech blunder, she did it twice in a row on the same word but said every other word just fine.

The people on the affirmative side of this thread are people that note any and all leadership of a country, and would drop their jaws no matter who in such high office did this. Even if it did turn out to be a speech blunder, it is worth discussion. You can't just dismiss this.

You should stop trying to turn this around. Don't bring up other people, we are not talking about other people. We are talking about one person here, Laura Bush.

Are you familiar with disinformation tactics? Everyone should be. Here are a few you are using:

"Become incredulous and indignant. Avoid discussing key issues and instead focus on side issues which can be used to show the topic as being critical of some otherwise sacrosanct group or theme. This is also known as the 'How dare you!' gambit."

"Question motives. Twist or amplify any fact which could be taken to imply that the opponent operates out of a hidden personal agenda or other bias. This avoids discussing issues and forces the accuser on the defensive."

"Change the subject. Usually in connection with one of the other ploys listed here, find a way to side-track the discussion with abrasive or controversial comments in hopes of turning attention to a new, more manageable topic. This works especially well with companions who can 'argue' with you over the new topic and polarize the discussion arena in order to avoid discussing more key issues."

Don't be such a disinformant. home.datawest.net...

[edit on 12-9-2005 by spacesounds]

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacesounds
Don't you get it? The point here is that anyone in such a high position should know the name of such a high magnitude disaster.

Oh I get it alright however you like others do not want to see my side of the issue. I am simply pointing out she is only human and is allowed to make errors also. I gave examples of people who ran for office and they certainly should have known that Chicago is not a state it is a city, yet no one made an issue out of that when it happened, yet because her husband is in office you expect her to be perfect. Trust me it will never happen in the real world. I have said it once I have said it several times everyone makes errors and that includes everyone on the planet regardless of what position they hold.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Everybody makes mistakes especially when TV camera's, microphones, reporters and general mayhem accompany you everywhere you go. I do it myself, I forget a persons name or the name of a place. It is very common and I am sure it isn't because of some lack of interests or concern as a lot of people try to make it out to be. Doesn't matter how high profile a person is they will still have brain farts. Laura Bush is a decent, caring person who like me and everyone else here on ATS, no matter how much you like to think otherwise, is not perfect! Now what were we talking about again?

[edit on 12-9-2005 by Yorga]

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Honestly, I'm freakin' tired of this lady, and that's coming from someone who used to think she was her husband's saving grace. I wish she'd just shut her piehole already and go back to memorizing the dewey decimal system.

Peace

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Don't you get it? The point here is that anyone in such a high position should know the name of such a high magnitude disaster.

When I voted in 2004, I never had the opportunity to vote for Laura Bush. Nor did I have the chance to vote for Roger Clinton. They weren't on the ballot.

Laura Bush did not ask to be in this "high position". Your point is moot.

I have seen seasoned public speakers accidentally write on a whiteboard with a permanent marker. I have seen professional speakers freeze up. My opinion of Laura Bush is that she is probably very embarassed at her boo-boo. There is no way on Gods' Green Earth that she would intentionally mispronounce Katrina. She is a decent, caring woman. For you to attack her for an honest mistake is mean-spirited and nebbish.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
They're both good candidates for the "Our lady of Perpetual Speeches academy"

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
It's ahrdly as big a faux-pas as the comments made by former first lady Barbara Bush. Bungling tongues must run in the Bush family, along with cold-heartedness and secrecy. I agree with jsobecky's point that Laura Bush is not an elected official, so there's no point to giving her too much grief about it (even though it's fun), but as to the point that she is a "decent,caring " person---that's a rather big assumption to make if you don't actually know her, isn't it? I mean, she looks to me like a real-life version of a Stepford Wife, but since I don't know her, I really can only say that is how she seems to me, I can't say she definitely is one way or another.
---Ryan

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join