It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush's Wife Doesn't Know the Hurricane's Name

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst

Originally posted by dgtempe
Or maybe her "beautiful mind" forgets the name so as to not have to be troubled by any thoughts of it?

I think it's Barbara Bush with the "beautiful mind." Laura's the one who forgot/didn't know Katrina's name.

Then again, they're both clueless.

I believe he was referring to my post. Scroll up a bit, then you'll understand.

*edit*
Or go back a page

[edit on 9/10/2005 by darkelf]

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas
I suppose your post has something to do with the subject matter? What am I missing within your thoughts? There must be some thought as to Mrs laura Bush's possible mis-Id of the title name of the disaster that hit a few gulf states --yes?

Dallas

[edit on 10-9-2005 by Dallas]

Yes, you are correct. May I please refer you to the very first statement in my post.

Everything that follows exists to susbtantiate my original statement, with the exception of the reference to Baghdad Bob. However, if following a re-read of my previous post you are still unsure of the relevance of the Bagdad Bob reference, please let me know and I'll explain.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I'm still here -- a bit tired but here. Yes please elaborate a bit on this as what i I feel seems not to sit well with many -- understandable, but not conclusive.

So anything you wish to add to this would help if not myself then others. So please go ahead..

Dallas

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas

I'm still here -- a bit tired but here. Yes please elaborate a bit on this as what i I feel seems not to sit well with many -- understandable, but not conclusive.

So anything you wish to add to this would help if not myself then others. So please go ahead..

Dallas

Yes, it is late, and I think this will indeed be my last post before I retire for the night...

In short, I believe this miscue (from a woman as articulate as the First Lady) is truly representative of just how out of touch this administration is with the grounded realities of the current and emerging crisis we face now as a nation -- primarily (what I believe to be) the extremely poor post-war planning and execution following the cessation of major hostilities in Iraq (another topic), and now with regards to the complete bungling and lack of leadership with regards to what will forever be remembered as a historical milestone of equal tragedy to 9/11.

My original post in this thread then attempts to substantiate this opinion by illustrating several examples of other comments and/or actions which are similarly demonstrative of this disconnect between this administration and the realities of the situation. Aruguably the best example, IMHO, would have to be Michael Brown's admission on live television that "they" -- the federal government -- only became aware of the 10,000+ evacuees stranded at the Convention Center on Thursday itself -- more than 48 hours after this crisis had been reported over and over by the national news media -- news crews were in abundance at teh convention center, brodcasting the unfolding tragedy live for the entire world to see. Yet when Ted Koppel relays this to him and asks him, "Didn't you look at a television? Listen to a radio?" Michael Brown answers by saying, "We only learned of it factually today."

Yes, when you are somehow able to disregard every channel of broadcast media, all brining the same images of teh same event to live television for the entire world to see, to dismiss such a real-time tragedy as anything but "factual" clearly demonstrates a disconnect with the reality of the situation.

However, don't stop with this example -- think of it as Pringles -- you can't eat just one! Within the first week after Katrina struck, the President had nothing but praise for the horsie show judge, and similarly, our First Lady had nothing but extreme praise for FEMA, all within the first week.

Which brings me to good 'ol beloved Baghdad Bob... the silly rabbit of an ex-Iraqi Information Minister who was known to tell tall tales... tales which such intrinsic comedic values that a Google search of "Baghdad Bob" returns 3,620,000 hits in .09 seconds.

Basically, Baghdad Bob was a product of a government that discouraged dissent within its ranks. In ffact, Saddam's, errr... "permanent dismissal" of voices of dissent is well known and established. Eventually, you find yourself surrounded with "yes men." This same pitfall exists in business, though accompanied by far less risk (as only the stakeholders in the business are exposed to the risk).

We have seen such a culling within the administration of individuals who express dissent contrary to the established party line (e.g., Colin Powell). Similar frustrations have been expressed by persons within FEMA with regards to the FEMA management structure which Dubya remade to his "vision" (I use that term loosely). Thus, this culling process eventually results in an artifical construct of information, as you tend to "weed out" that what you do not want nor like to hear.

This is the slippery slope that invariably convolutes the truth. And as evidenced by this latest Mother of All Fumbles, without all the facts, it is rather difficult to make effective decisions.

Now it's 1:00 a.m. I am going to bed.

EDIT: for late-night spelling errors.

[edit on 11-9-2005 by sdrumrunner]

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Wow, and you thought and wrote that in minutes. Wow. Well done and I'm still a bit amazed/bedazelled within your reasoning. Very good.

Dallas

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Corinna, Corinna, Where you been so long?
Corinna, Corinna, Where you been so long?
I ain't had no lovin'.Darlin'.since you been gone

Reminds me of the time that Ted Kennedy stuttered all over Barack Obama's name - actually called him Osama Obama.

Or the time John Kerry waxed eloquently about RedSox player "Manny Ortiz" (amalgam of Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz).

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Jsobecky, thats one of my favorite songs of yesteryear!!!

Nice try at excuses, but nobody, i repeat, nobody stumbles and bungles more then Mr Bush- I do think cohabitating with him has had a negative reaction with our fine first lady. Wasnt she some top librarian?

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Bush's Wife Doesn't Know the Hurricane's Name,

And Bush Junior Doesn't Know how to SPELL Hurricane's Name!

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Is the name.

I know, its sort of petty but true. Really, I would expect better from Mrs Bush. Lets keep our eye on her...Maybe it was just a little faux pas..she is human after all. No, she's not a reptillian.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I am less offended by her misspoken slip, it was clear she knew she had made a mistake as she stumbled over the word 3 times. I am offended in her idea that the cure for many of the ills that came out of the disaster is to get those kids back in school. She thinks that will help them get some normalcy in their lives. Just sayin', if I were in New Orleans and managed to get my children out alive I would be hard pressed to let go of them long enough to give them to over burdened strangers in hugely unprepared schools.

Just sayin'. Priorities Laura. School or family security?

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
This thread is a hoot it would appear all people want to do is jump all over the first lady which is very sad indeed. :shk:

Just to be far lets look at what a former vice president said just to be far and unbiased.

"It's wonderful to be here in the great state of Chicago."

And ya just gotta love this one

"[It's] time for the human race to enter the solar system."

"I love California. I practically grew up in Phoenix."

Dan Quayle Quotes

And let us not forget he could not even spell potato

I shall return as said Douglas MacArthur with Democrat blunders

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
HILARIOUS AL GORE BLUNDERS AND BLOOMERS

"I am not part of the problem. I am a Democrat."
-- Vice President Al Gore

"A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls."
-- Vice President Al Gore

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I think it was Chertoff who made the brilliant observation that "the city of Louisiana is underwater." :shakehead:

I wonder if they're all that detached so it's easier to screw us over?

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Is this just coincidental happenstance . . . or has the media finally decided to forego the current status quo and actually return to accurate reporting?

Remembering the old tv series Dragnet:
"the facts ma'am . . . just the facts"

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
vice presidential blunders

"Dan quayle??? nope........ Al Gore."

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
I shall return as said Douglas MacArthur with Democrat blunders

Those bloopers were really funny, no really, but this is not a partisan issue and it's kind of odd that you are attempting to make it so. Whether it was a Democrat, a Green, or a Martian Leader at the head of a country hit by the worst natural disaster in its entire history, and that person showed detachment from the disaster to the point where they didn't even know what the thing was called, yet they were acting like they really, really cared for the cameras, then people would still be asking "WTF?!"

Where's subz when you need him?

[edit on 2005-9-11 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
in response to wecomeinpeace . . .

I get your point and totally agree.

They show up for the whole lights, camera, action type hype yet so often they are ill-prepared, haven't read the script, etc.

Hurcane, Hurricane umm Ka, umm Kathy, no that's not right, umm well you know!?

Just as with the overall delayed response and the whole Bush photo op last week.

Louisiana Senator Landrieu:

"But perhaps the greatest disappointment stands at the breached 17th Street levee. Touring this critical site yesterday with the President, I saw what I believed to be a real and significant effort to get a handle on a major cause of this catastrophe. Flying over this critical spot again this morning, less than 24 hours later, it became apparent that yesterday we witnessed a hastily prepared stage set for a Presidential photo opportunity; and the desperately needed resources we saw were this morning reduced to a single, lonely piece of equipment. The good and decent people of southeast Louisiana and the Gulf Coast -- black and white, rich and poor, young and old -- deserve far better from their national government.

Apparently everything was in place for a rapid and thorough response, but hell you can't start the party 'til the birthday boy gets there.

Then Cheney's little 15 minutes of Katrina fame where he got a dose of his own heckling medicine. Did you notice when the reporter asked if he had been hearing much of the same, he responded something like, "No, this is the first time I've heard it. . . and then humorously seems to start recalling his statement to Patrick Leahy on the Senate floor, though he can't seem to put the right name in his mouth," . . . a friend of John...er..uh...oh nevermind . . . laughter.

Then you have Bush Sr's wife Barbara who should be absolutely ashamed of her comment. As if any of the survivors of Katrina actually feel that things are going quite well in their peachy world right now.

Often times, just as ole' Pat Robertson tried to do, they will claim it was taken out of context, etc.
Umm, yeah right... would you care to listen to the tape . . . and yet they still insist that it was taken out of context?!

I understand that we all make mistakes and say things that just don't come out as we may have intended, yet for the most part our general point gets across and we aren't left standing there stuttering and stammering looking like a damned ignorant, calloused, unfeeling fool.

I should stop here.

Peace2All

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Politicians and their petty, spiteful wives, couldn't be more out of touch if they were paraplegics in sensory deprivation tanks.

They don't understand the reality of life in America, because they've never had to fight for their survival. They commit crimes with impunity, say what they please without having to worry about the repurcussions of their words, and generally make asses out of themselves at the expense of the taxpayers.

It's an offensive situation. The fact that we pay to keep these hogs neck deep in 'mud' is the worst part about it.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
My g/f just said "she must have been reading the same book her husband was."

wow 2 strikes for her this week.. can we finish the 3rd strike by the end of the 7 days???

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace

Those bloopers were really funny, no really, but this is not a partisan issue and it's kind of odd that you are attempting to make it so.
Where's subz when you need him?

[edit on 2005-9-11 by wecomeinpeace]

I am not trying to make it a partisan issue you already did that by starting the thread. Everyone is human and everyone can make mistakes, but some prefer to pick on the first lady and I for one feel that is wrong.

As pointed out by my supporting posts idividuals holding office have made similar mistakes yet for some reason you persist in wanting to pick on the first lady. Why is that? Are you saying she is not entitled to a mistake? Sure sounds like it to me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join