It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Tiny Computers Go Where No Computer Has Gone Before

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Thank you Liquid.

First of all allow me to state first and foremost that I am not an expert on nanobiotech applications. However, I find myself intrigued with the possible uses these Nanomachines may have, particularly in the medical field.

I have been working though on a theory that I would like to share with you all: a Nanomachine system that works inside the human body, healing wounds and such.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Power Source

As stated I do not know much on Nanomachines, but I imagine that for extended use, a Nanomachine would require a power source. Would it not be an idea to explore the possibility of having the Nanomachine run on the body's natural bioelectricity? Would the subject be able to feed the Nanomachines without needing to charge themselves like a car battery?

Command and Control

I heard a rumour a few months ago that DARPA have been working on a Brain Interface Chip. Though I am certain they mean for this chip to link to devices outside the body, there is no reason it cant link to internal devices. The chip would link with the Nanomachines using the CNS, and send messages and tasks to 'Task Forces' from the Command Chip which is linked directly to the Interface Chip.

Applications

Aside from the more obvious tasks of destroying a virus, speeding the healing process from wounds, and taking out cancerous cells, the Nanomachines would be able to call upon detailed information from a database on human anatomy (linked to the Command Chip) in order to perform microsurgery, such as nerve repair, eye, and ear surgery.

Nanomachines would also help in creating much healthier and fitter people for specific jobs such as astronauts, soldiers etc. I dare say it may even be possible to explore the brain and use the information to one day awaken the apparently dormant parts of the human mind.

Possible Issues

Obviously this is a new technology to mankind so while we get to know it we will never be certain of success. The risks early subjects would take though will possibly be rewarded beyond their wildest dreams should the installation of this system be a success.

The most obvious issue though to the subject would be their immune system. The last thing we would want is a pitched battle between the subjects immune system and the man-made devices designed to help. I wonder though: would a 'DNA Tag', containing what may be described as a 'friendly flag' aid in stopping our natural defences attacking the Nanomachines?

Another issue of course is the social issue. Though personally I am all for the advancement of this idea, some among certain quarters of Society would take this badly. Also if the technology isnt made available to all, we would end up with a two tiered race: those who are Nanotechs, and those who are normal humans. I would personally recommend discretion on the part of early subjects until Society has a chance to accept the idea.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This only some ideas I have come up with. Suggestions, expansions, and indeed corrections to anything I have got wrong are appreciated.

[edit on 25-9-2005 by Daystar]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Thank you for that very interesting article you made on your theory.
I have much to add to this, but I have little time as of now, for I must go to school. It may take a while, but i'll add to your thoughts.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
LiquidationOfDiscrepancy

Be sure to download the "Life-a-thon" reader. It will keep you aprized of new discoveries in this field:

www.mprize.org...

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   

The human brain contains from 10 to 100 billion neurons, and each has hundreds of connections with neighboring neurons. Making sense of these intricate connections is essential to understanding brain function..
www.medicalnewstoday.com...

This understanding is essential for the understanding of how neurons, and neurochips can interact with each other effectively. For example neurochips can be placed in the Hippocampus, to increase memory for factual information, and help prevent memory lost of natural causes such as aging.

I will have more information on this later, but I find this truly interesting.

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
ah nanotechnology is a fascinating thing. just mind boggling...

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
how about body boggling?

Someday they may offer you a much longer life and much better health and all you have to do is be injected with nanbots.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
As far as nanotechnology goes, I think that this will improve human capabilities, but also, like a paradox, make us less improved because we'll be relying on something that is unnatural. With so many mysteries of the human body as it stand now, I think the idea of exploring our own bodily and natural functions would benefit us more, rather than complicating our race into an entirely new one.

Besides, we wouldn't want a posthumanistic singlarity, would we?

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Nanobots, or Nanites could be a very useful medical device for treating cancer, and destorying cancerous cells. But with these nanites and nanobombs could come insidous usages such actually killing a person inside the celluar level of that indivdual.

My ?'s is how would our immune system react to such foreign devices in our bodies? Could we as Daystar suggested, "hide" these devices with "okay" DNA inside our bodies? What would be the long term effect of such devices? How would we rid them out of our body if they disfunctioned?

[edit on 013030p://000 by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy]

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by E_Pluribus_Unum
As far as nanotechnology goes, I think that this will improve human capabilities, but also, like a paradox, make us less improved because we'll be relying on something that is unnatural. With so many mysteries of the human body as it stand now, I think the idea of exploring our own bodily and natural functions would benefit us more, rather than complicating our race into an entirely new one.

Besides, we wouldn't want a posthumanistic singlarity, would we?

I agree Pluribus, we should explore out OWN body, than make a "shell" of a new one before we fully understand our own. I believe this technology has good intentions, but also has many draw backs as well. I am not against technological progression, but I don't want us to shoot ourselves in the foot either.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I am just curious, who would like to get biologically modified to such an extreme?

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Nanites would get one maybe two passes thru the body before the immune system would destroy them. They'd have to be quick and intelligent to get their work done fast and well.

We are already biologically altered by vaccines. Anyone for another vaccine, say fror heart disease or cancer or drug addiction or aids? I'm sure most would stand in line for one of these vaccines.

[edit on 7/26/2006 by bodebliss]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join