It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Tiny Computers Go Where No Computer Has Gone Before

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Experts in Nanotechnology are exploring with the idea of using microscopic machines that are the size of molecules. These artificial molecules can supply scientist with valuable information that unlocks secrets in the function of biology and chemistry on a microscopic scale. This technology has the potential to make a major impact on people's lives.

www.sciencedaily.com
Nanotechnology experts are exploring the capabilities of molecules that act like conventional computers but can operate in tiny places where no silicon-based chip or semiconductor can go. Now, for the first time, they have used these molecules to perform logic operations and process information in spaces a few nanometres across.

This advance has been achieved by chemists at Queen's University Belfast, with funding from the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC). Professor Amilra de Silva, Chair of Organic Chemistry at the university, says: "Computing isn't just confined to semiconductors. Molecules have been processing information ever since life has been around on our planet. Harnessing this remarkable ability really does have the potential to make a big difference to people's lives."

Molecular information processors placed in nano-spaces can gather, process and supply valuable data on how chemistry and biology function at this tiny scale. Molecules can also be used as information processors in medical and other applications. Portable blood gas analysers incorporating early breakthroughs in this field are already in use, with total sales of relevant sensor components already reaching US$35 million.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I personally believe this is a major breakthrough in science. With great technology also comes great responsibility. Even though this has the potential to save many lives, it also has the potential to cause much harm. It is up to us to decide how this will be used.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
wow Liquid,
excellent thread.

i agree we have to be careful how we use nanotech, but with every good thing comes its downside. this is a great leap in science and i cant wait to see what happens next! keep up the good work.

--Kit.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Great find LOD.
I agree the future is all how small u can make things. I also believe as we develope these, other technologies will emerge.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Many technologies can be used for good and evil. It's just up to us(the human race) to decide how to use them. Great thread LOD.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Thank you all, I wonder if this technology will lead to the bio-chip, or any other nano machines that fights off diseases inside your cells?

[edit on 033030p://666 by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy]

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
More on nanotechnology

An advance in nanotechnology may lead to the creation of artificial muscles, superstrong electric cars and wallpaper-thin electronics, researchers report.
Nanotechnology has tantalized researchers for decades, promising a new era in stronger and lighter electronic materials. Nanotechnology is the science of engineering such properties at the molecular, or nanometer, scale. For all its promise, the technology has mostly been locked in laboratories.

Link:deseretnews.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
True, with this new technology, responisibility is a first priority, this technology can easily and permanetly alter people's lives, for the better, or for the worse.

What we must understand, is that, in trying to find a cure for all diseases, is almost the same thing as playing god, it is our everlasting quest for immortality, and with nanotechnologies, it is one leap forward, in the attempt to find cures for cancer, viral diseases, and the list just keeps going. Hell, we might even find a cure for aging. All of this is unnatural, and the more technology progresses, the less in touch man kind comes with his natural surroundings and way of life.

Nanotech can and will change everything. It'll change the way we live basically.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Yep, the development of mankind will now be on this level. If it gets enough growth it will change the way we live, and eventually die. Talk about developing a race of supermen .....

I wonder how quickly this tech will filter down to the average person, or will it just stay with the super rich who will get longer lives, and better quality of life.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
What new ways to destroy ourselves shall they invent with this kind of tech you must wonder as well. Always looking for ways to live longer and healthier all while attempting to find ways to kill faster.

However I embrace all technology, if having crazy laser eyes in the future means I'll have to be running from 75ft zombie rats that eat steel like cheese, SO BE IT!

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I was just wondering, would any of you let a foreign object such as a nano machine go into your blood stream, and into your body's cells to "fight" off a disease?

[edit on 103030p://666 by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy]

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I would if the nanites took care of these 7 things that are wrong with cells as humans age.

"SENS is a practical, foreseeable approach to curing aging because all the types of metabolic side-effect whose accumulation is (or is even hypothesised to be) eventually pathogenic are amenable to repair (or in some cases obviation, i.e. disruption of the mechanism by which they become pathogenic) by techniques that, according to the experimentalists
who have performed the key work on which those techniques build, can (with adequate funding) probably be implemented in mice within a decade or so. There are seven major categories of such damage, listed below, along with the leading technique or techniques that can address them. Follow the links to read more detail about these techniques. I apologise that these more detailed pages do not yet include references to the literature. In most cases you can find the key references in my relevant publications, which are all available here. "

www.gen.cam.ac.uk...

If it fixed the things in the link, it would give each of us a chance at Eternal Health.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   
While a cure for aging seems to be a very wonderful idea, it can be used to prolong life of those that do not serve the best interest for humanity. For example take Hitler. If Nazi Germany had the nanotechnology to repair broken down DNA, and decelerate the aging process in the 40's, then Hitler could still be alive today. This is unnatural, and has many unknown variables. Plus who would this be available to? The rich? The poor? Or everyone? It would most likely be available to the wealthy that rule first. Then maybe passed down to the high middle class society; but we must ask ourselves... do we really want to live forever; at least on this earth?

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy
I was just wondering, would any of you let a foreign object such as a nano machine go into your blood stream, and into your body's cells to "fight" off a disease?

[edit on 103030p://666 by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy]

The link doesn't work - I'd like to see it - could you try again please?

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Sure. The link is posted below.

Link: www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy
While a cure for aging seems to be a very wonderful idea, it can be used to prolong life of those that do not serve the best interest for humanity. For example take Hitler. If Nazi Germany had the nanotechnology to repair broken down DNA, and decelerate the aging process in the 40's, then Hitler could still be alive today. This is unnatural, and has many unknown variables. Plus who would this be available to? The rich? The poor? Or everyone? It would most likely be available to the wealthy that rule first. Then maybe passed down to the high middle class society; but we must ask ourselves... do we really want to live forever; at least on this earth?

While I'm sure evil people would try to live forever, we would still have the death penalty. Implementing the death penalty on one w/ everlasting health would be a greater penalty.

The prefered method of delivery of SENS (Nanotech, nano-bio) would make it incredibly cheap and easy to use for everyone. Nanotechnology would make it so most people would be able to have the equipment and do the procedures at home.

www.gen.cam.ac.uk...

www.foresight.org...

[edit on 9/11/2005 by bodebliss]

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Wow, that is very interesting; how many more years do you think it will take for this technology to be available to the general public?

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   
We are in a time of extreme acceleration and compression of scientific discovery and implementation, as you can see by the graph on my site.

The first page of my site explains the graph.

The pace of technological advance will have the amount of useful knowledge doubling every minute by the year 2011 and when(not If) we get AI the rate of change will zoom from doubling every minute to gaining 9-10 million years worth of technological advance for every year an AI operates.

The advantage of an AI would be the speed between electronic neurons. The signals in a human brain move at 100 ft/ sec the signals in an electronic brain move at the speed of light( C ). This means the AI would do 10,000,000 years of work for every year it works. Let's now say it worked as the premiere expert on longevity and did all it's work in this area . Well I think humans could count on living as long as they liked the next year, as we would be in the virtual year 10,000,000 AD, or computer science, or energy technology, or any science. All sciences could use a leap to the year 10,000,000 V(virtual)Y(ear) AD. This would not stop there. The next year it would 20,000,000 V.A.D. , etc.

It could also act exponentially. The first year we move 10 million years into the future and the second year we move 100 million million years into the future.

Is anyone ready for that kind of change?

Are you ready?

We'll see!

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 03:33 AM
link   
What will probably happen is, before the advent of AI(at least), they will make discoveries, oh, here and there. These discoveries will not be the fix, but they will extend life. The life extention is at first 20 yrs and then we get 10 yrs along and the extention is now 40 yrs we get 10 yrs along and the extention is 100 yrs, but long before that the doubling of useful knowledge would start to put us 2,000, 4,000, 8,000 etc yrs in the future and the effect of this doubling would give us Artificial Intelligence(AI) and we would start to leap 10 million, 100 quadrillion etc years into the future.

Mind Boggling isn't it?

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Are you saying we could have electronic brains that would think at the speed of light? That our brains could be integrated with man and machine? If so, then that would change and alternate the regular human to be obsolete. Due to the advance superiority of computers.

If we fused ourselves with machine physically, then what would make the human body so special? If everyone had the intelligence of a genius, then what would be so special about our race? If humans got that advance disease, murder, and world "problems" would cease to exist. Not truly, but ideology. Man would try to make a perfect society such as "1984" & the society in the movie "Minority Report". A society ran by an industry of new age computers.

At first man could compromise with this new age technology. We would be given a choice to choose ourselves, or technology. There would be many moral and ethical decisions to make during these new advances. For example look back in the early 1900's. When T model cars were first coming out. People had a choice to either buy a car, or take a horse. No one forced anyone to drive a car. So the common man without a car could make compromises with this new technological advances in his society. Then as time progressed, as towns grew into cities, and as cities grew into stupendously crowded metropolitan streets; the common man had no other choice but to buy a car.

I am afraid that humans may get so overly advance that we may cancel ourselves out of existence. I am not against technology, and its progression; but we must not let technology over rule us.

-LOD

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Well there would be people patching into the AI's. What I was saying is AI's alone could put us billions of years into the future. This is when we get AI's that have human level intellects. Their speed will make us look like monkeys. Compared to our current speed of advance, their speed of advance would be millions of years / year.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join