It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: MI5 Head Warns of Liberties Trade-off To Fight Terror

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Dame Eliza Manningham-Buller, the head of MI5, has warned that certain civil liberties may be taken away in order to prevent future terrorist attacks across Britain. Dame Eliza said that she recognized the rights had been hard fought for, but claims that the world has changed which leads to the debate on whether the erosion of some of the rights may be necessary. Tony Blair has repeatedly asserted that the security services backed the government's system of control orders - restricting people's liberties without a trial in a court of law.

MI5 and government lawyers on the other hand want a system of "intelligence only" interviews. Whereby valuable information provided by a suspect would be taken into account in the subsequent trial.

www.guardian.co.uk
Security sources said yesterday that Dame Eliza was not advocating particular proposals put forward by the government, notably control orders, deportations, and far more broadly-defined offences in new anti-terror laws which would not require the evidence now needed to secure a conviction.

But her message was clear: information acquired through intelligence gathering was often insufficient to allow police and prosecutors to bring criminal charges, yet that information could prevent a terrorist attack if the suspects were rounded up.

The head of MI5 told her Dutch audience of "one of the central dilemmas of countering this sort of terrorism. We may be confident that an individual or group is planning an attack but that confidence comes from ... intelligence [which is] patchy and fragmentary and uncertain, to be interpreted and assessed".

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

A step forward for some, others may believe this to be a step back. Taking away liberties may be seen as an unnecessary move. Not needing evidence to secure a conviction to me seems totally wrong. How can you have a solid conviction without the necessary evidence? Seems to be more of a “we need to make it look like we’ve caught more terrorists”, and by making it easier to convict someone seems to be the easy way around things.

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk
www.publications.parliament.uk

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Reading this story this morning made me so angry. What does the government think its protecting? Honestly, whats the point of protecting our lives if they arent worth living? I would seriously rather die than have our civil liberties culled for personal saftey.

Does any one else doubt that locking us all up in prison would be analogous to the saftey provided, and liberties denied, by this new government mentality?

Can I opt out of the "protection" the government would like to see me blanketed in? Would I be deemed a terrorist if I reject the governments premise that civil liberties have to be curtailed to prevent terrorists from attacking us?

Bull-hooey!

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Holy crap, another idiot preaching liberty should be traded for security

Clarke: Europe must trade civil liberties for security

Everybody please sign the anti-data retention petition:

www.dataretentionisnosolution.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Consider that petition signed!

I'd like to curtail a few politician's rights. Like the ones they think they have which lets them go against what their people want!

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Signed. What will happen when the petition receives so many "clicks"?

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I`ve been expecting this for a while
.I wonder how much the big tech\security companies are offering "big names" like the head of MI5 to help endorse their sick neo fascist control grid? Its going full pelt at the moment,with ID/BIOMETRICS becoming global fast....and that is just the beginning.Anyone who is foolish enough to think that the process will stop at DNA samples/ retina scans/fingerprints,just look at what is beginning to happen with RFID,with RFID2 in the pipeline,then look at this link:

news.bbc.co.uk...

Please bear in mind the tone of the above link : "we wish to help our poor citizens...honestly."
Typical BBC this,they have now started the process whereby they will slowly but surely keep reinforcing the benefits of the dreaded human tracking implant,with the rediculous claim that it is for our saftey!!!!
Well,sorry folks,but ill take an extra hole in my head before I am turned into a walking RFID tag.
The bible folks have been going on about this one for ages,mark of the beast and all that.....well I don`t know alot about that,but i do know that it does seem to be happening anyway.....Bible prophesy or not.
They used to only want to tag the crimminals,now they`re getting ready to tag you,me and the little old lady down the street. I ASK YOU......

So again,the big companies/intel agencies/governments have enginneered themselves a crisis(remember the word "al queada" was given by their creators,the CIA ).
And again, its us the normal folk of the world,who are now ensnared into their sicko global police state project.
And again,not only will the perpetrators make an absolute fortune,they will also have ultimate control over our existence,in the form of their super surveilance societies.
We are living in interesting times,no mistake.

By the way i got the link to the BBC page from a very good anti
UK ID/Database site :

1984brigade.blogspot.com...

OK,Ill shut up now.....FUME FUME Fight the ID CARD etc!

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Ben Franklin said that any people willing to trade their liberty for security deserves neither. Like in so many things, he was correct again. Wonder what that says about us?

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Exactly how do you curtail terrorism abroad by wavering the liberties of your countrywo/men? This climate of fear beclouded over the western world has become pernicous to it's society and we are seeing the eventual downfall of democracy through the guise of security measures. The threat of terrorism is very meek, and history, of recent, has dictated that these terrorist attacks are proceeded with a rash and hastely reaction by the goverment in which extreme measures must be taken to make sure these attacks do not occure again; the erosions of certain liberties, for example.

May I ask, how many terrorist attacks have occured in the west in totality over the last few decades, and of those, specificaly from Islamic groups?

Luxifero

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I agree Luxifero,and isnt it strange how the only people who seem to benefit from these attrocities is our own twisted Govenments?Is this by design,by any chance?

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Reading this story this morning made me so angry. What does the government think its protecting? Honestly, whats the point of protecting our lives if they arent worth living? I would seriously rather die than have our civil liberties culled for personal saftey.

Does any one else doubt that locking us all up in prison would be analogous to the saftey provided, and liberties denied, by this new government mentality?

Can I opt out of the "protection" the government would like to see me blanketed in? Would I be deemed a terrorist if I reject the governments premise that civil liberties have to be curtailed to prevent terrorists from attacking us?

Bull-hooey!

Couldn't agree more! It is called inquisition.

Governments are now robbng the bank (our rights) and blaming the citizens for leaving the door open (not saying no).

Zion,
The petition is signed.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Looks like someone is following the Bush administration, thanks to Bush i have no civil liberties here in the US. I am a UK citizen so now i won't even have any when i go to the UK for a visit, ain't life a bitch. At least i'll always have a home and liberties in Portugal and South Africa, for now.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Are these the same intelligence agencies that bought us weapons of mass destruction and no tangible results in dealing with terrorism?

Due process of law is a 'civil liberty' which is important to the security of the people.

"Let no one be in any doubt that the rules of the game are changing"

Tony Blair

www.guardian.co.uk...

By eroding our freedoms from the inside, they are doing what fanatical extremism could never achieve.

[edit on 10-9-2005 by shanti23]

new topics

top topics

join