It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: PAC Linked to DeLay Indicted

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   
A Texas grand jury has issued indictments against TRMPAC - Texans for a Republican Majority Political Action Commitee, an organization formed by Rep. Tom DeLay, charging it with accepting illegal donations from corporations. DeLay himself was not named in the charges.

www.washingtonpost.com
A prominent Texas business group also was charged, in what District Attorney Ronnie Earle called an attempt to funnel "massive amounts of secret corporate wealth" into Texas campaigns.

State law prohibits use of corporate contributions to advocate election or defeat of state candidates.

Once DeLay helped Republicans win control of the state Legislature in 2002, the majority leader engineered a Republican redistricting plan that gave the state's U.S. House delegation a 21-11 majority in the current Congress. The effort helped Republicans increase their House margin by five seats this year.

A complaint filed last year with the House ethics committee alleged that DeLay's activities with TRMPAC violated House rules, but the panel deferred action and has done nothing since.

The indictments allege that the Texas Association of Business and the political committee worked together in a complicated scheme to circumvent the election code.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm trying not to be biased about this. It does give me a sort of deja vu, there you go again kind of feeling, though. There are also four indictments against the Texas Association of Business for unlawful political advertising, unlawful contributions to a political committee and unlawful expenditures.

[edit on 10-9-2005 by Icarus Rising]

[edit on 10-9-2005 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Well Molly Ivins describes Texas as a national experiment in bad government. Delay is an arrogant SOB and it really doesn't matter if he is a conservative republican or not. Such arrogance, regardless of the party breeds a contempt for the law and an attitude that the rules do not apply to you. As such (and this actually is a good thing when applied to political parties and leaders) they innevitably sow the seeds of their own destruction as apparantly Delay has done, and Rove, and Bush and the whole of the Republican party, just like the Democrats did before them. After both parties have totally discredited themselves however, what comes next is what interests me. In Rome it was the Emperor, in France it was Napoleon, in Germany it was Hitler and in the U.S.S.R, it was Stalin. History is not stacked in our favor.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
That is exactly my concern, what next? Well put indeed in the historical perspective, Grover.

We are in for a rocky ride ahead, unless by some benevolent miracle we are delivered from our corrupted democracy, and not into the hands of a murderous totalitarian purger.

That's what I keep praying for. The benevolent miracle, I mean.

new topics

join