It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Powell slams hurricane response

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 02:32 AM
link   
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Colin Powell, the former secretary of state seen as a potential leader for Hurricane Katrina recovery efforts, has joined the chorus of Americans criticising the disaster response at all levels of government.

"There have been a lot of failures at a lot of levels -- local, state and federal," Powell said in an ABC interview for the "20/20" program to be broadcast on Friday evening.

Political figures from both major parties have assailed the slow response to the hurricane's assault last week on the Gulf Coast, which devastated New Orleans and killed hundreds, possibly thousands, in the region.

CNN

Sanity has finaly prevailed repeat sanity has finaly prevailed !!!
Powell has come out and said what any one with common sense could have figured out that is not one level of government failed. The rot started at the top and finished at the bottom.

What is Powell up to these days apart from giving media interviews?
For having a level head Powell has earned more of my respect.

[edit on 10-9-2005 by xpert11]

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I think that with retirement looming he's finally grown a conscience and is tired of sucking up to the boneheads in DC.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I think he's just speaking the truth, like he's always done. It's true, there were failures on all levels.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
He's a smart man, always has been. While in the cabinet, he had to say and do something that I feel he didn't fully agree with. He also could (obviously) not criticize the government publicly. Now he has the opportunity to stop doing the former, and to start doing the latter. As said, he's just callin' it like it is.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Can you say President Powell? The GOP has lost all credibility and it's never to early to start grooming someone with a little character to try and salvage whats left of the shredded reputation that the republicans brought down upon themselves.

If Powell got the nomination, he just might pull it off but I think he's smarter than to even want to be Pres. I like him and could vote for him.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Powell is simply having a party affiliation/identity crisis, but then again, it may be all apart of a grand plan, courtesy of John Doerr.
Simply testing the political waters, as he has been doing since he said that appearing before the UN tarnished his image, and regretting the 'mess' of Iraq.
Colin Powell to Run for President? As a Democrat!

Interesting contemplation, nonetheless.

seekerof

[edit on 12-9-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Can you say President Powell? The GOP has lost all credibility and it's never to early to start grooming someone with a little character to try and salvage whats left of the shredded reputation that the republicans brought down upon themselves.

If Powell got the nomination, he just might pull it off but I think he's smarter than to even want to be Pres. I like him and could vote for him.
He's said publicly that he doesn't want to be president. He wants to retire. I would vote for him also, if he had an interest.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
He's said publicly that he doesn't want to be president. He wants to retire. I would vote for him also, if he had an interest.

Currently that is Powell stance but politics is a funny game to say the least.
Remember Ike said he wouldnt run for president.

[edit on 14-9-2005 by xpert11]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Powell doesn't want to run for president because he knows he will be a target because of his race. and I'm not necesarally talking about a target of verbal abuse. His wife has said she doesn't want him to run either.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by passengername
Powell doesn't want to run for president because he knows he will be a target because of his race. and I'm not necesarally talking about a target of verbal abuse. His wife has said she doesn't want him to run either.

Interesting point.
Do you think if Powell ran minortys would hijack the election?
America is going to have to face a black candiate at some point.
Why not face the issues sooner then later?
Powell is respected by people on both sides of the political spectrum one would think that the Republican party would be trying to convince Powell to run.
Do Republicans fear a split in the party if Powell runs?

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Powell [and everyone else] can slam the hurricane response as much as they want to. The failure for this doesn't fall solely on the shoulders of the federal government or FEMA. A lot of the failure can be blamed on the Lousiana state government for their situation. Granted, it was a big hurricane and no government agency can be blamed for a natural disaster, but natural disaster handling and recovery doesn't fall solely into the hands of the federal government. As far as those that refused to evacuate/refused to relocate, and those who are refusing the aid that is available [like the people who were refusing to eat MREs], some of the blame can go to them too. They helped create and are helping to perpetuate the situation.

mod edit of unnecessay bad word

[edit on 17-9-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 01:05 AM
link   
In no way can the President be responsible for anything concerning this terrible disaster.

The Mayor of NO, flat out refused to help his people or city. People died because of his gross ineptness.

The Governor of LA, flat out refused to heed warnings at failed to protect her people and her state. People died because of her gross ineptness.

FEMA is NOT a first responder. FEMA does NOT have trucks, food, water, troops piled on and waiting for storms, earthquakes, floods, tornados to befall the USA. FEMA can only respond to a REQUEST for Federal help...which it officially got 48 hours AFTER Katrina slammed into the coast.

President Bush warned Blanco to evacuate the Gulf Coast, 3 days before the storm hit. He also declared a state of emergency 2 days before the storm hit. He could not do anything more than to tell those states to take heed of the danger. Alabama and Mississippi didn't have any trouble getting the hell out of the area, which is rarely reported.

The fact that Bush took responsibility for the troubles that the governmentS had, when the individuals that truly failed in this crisis ran away from the situation, says volumes about the honor and integrity of our President.

Mayor Nagin failed his sworn duties.

Governor Blanco failed her sworn duties.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   

President Bush warned Blanco to evacuate the Gulf Coast, 3 days before the storm hit. He also declared a state of emergency 2 days before the storm hit. He could not do anything more than to tell those states to take heed of the danger. Alabama and Mississippi didn't have any trouble getting the hell out of the area, which is rarely reported.

are you serious? as you stated, Army, he declared a state of emergency BEFORE the hurricane so shouldn't he have been prepared to handle the situation? He had two whole days to mobilize the resources of the UNITED STATES! and it is his responsiblilty. the president has more duties than declaring war on defensless countries and paying haliburton.

and this was the worst natural disaster in american history according to the media. nagan is a mayor! if we have federal employees appointed by the president stumblinanbumblin what do you expect a mayor to do? and as far as local authorities requesting aid, they actually requested aid on their levy system, pumps and stuff way before Katrina was actually conceived, but were turned down.

can anyone name one GOOD thing bush has done?
[edit on 20-9-2005 by passengername]

[edit on 20-9-2005 by passengername]

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Remember that little incident a while ago, called the Civil War? The main concern then was States rights and the limits of Federal jurisdiction (let's leave the slavery non-issue out of this one).

Again, in case you didn't realize, the Feds CANNOT mobilize on State concerns until the State asks for Federal assistance...States CANNOT mobilize on City concerns until that city asks for assistance.

President Bush warned BOTH governments to get their # together NOW...but they failed to do so.

Last thing----again----FEMA is NOT a First Responder (those are Cops, Firemen, EMT). They do NOT have piles of equipment, nor drivers sitting in vehicles with the engines running, ready to pounce on the latest emergency. They DO have plans to assist clean-up, monetary assistance, by-passing of red tape, and a hot line to the National Guard if REQUESTED.

FEMA usually takes up to a MONTH to respond to disasters (which is NORMAL for what their mission actually is). FEMA took a month to get running after Hugo last year, nearly two months to be available after the Northridge earthquake in California, and have just now begun to respond to Katrina in Miami Florida. That they were on the job in less than a week in LA, tells me that they are getting MUCH better at this stuff.

If you really believe that President Bush can wave his magic wand, and things are instantly all better, means that you have NO grasp of how our Government operates....

...he neither can he control the weather, or predict the future. But he did know that Katrina was going to be very bad (after all, another section of the US Government told him so), and warned the USA to save themselves.

And that is what it boils down to---personal responsibility. If you know that the bad dog of hurricanes is bearing down on you (and try to convince me that some people missed that little bit of information
), and you do NOT get the heck outta Dodge loooong before it hits and destroys your neighborhood, than you are just stupid. If you do not have any sort of plan, nor any sort of provisions laid in, nor any way to leave a historically targeted by terrible storms area, while living at least 7 feet BELOW sea level...than you are commiting slow suicide.

Don't give me the "too poor to: leave/have cars/own shoes/call a friend" excuses. They had at least FOUR DAYS to do SOMETHING, other than wait to drown. Mayor Nagin had at least FOUR DAYS to lay on many hundreds of school busses to take the stupid people (and the crippled/old/infirm) to high ground or somewhere inland. In four days, you can walk at least 20 miles, which would be 20 miles from storm winds/floods/destruction/and death.

Yes, much blame should be pointed out, especially at the Mayor and Governoo. The President had NOTHING to do with the failure of local and State governments to protect their citizens. However, he has much to do with cleaning up their mess.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Power will not run for president, he had the chance to run againts Clinton and he didn't took the offer.

He may do a great VP.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Army
Remember that little incident a while ago, called the Civil War? The main concern then was States rights and the limits of Federal jurisdiction (let's leave the slavery non-issue out of this one).

the issue was reserving rights of of law, not about can they help in a time of need. WTF do I pay federal taxes for? so they can sit up there in washington... (actually they don't sit in washington ant it took them what, 3 or 4 days to assemble to decide whether or not to give money to the katrina disaster) just to sit there and say "we're not helping until you ask". they can come in to YOUR state and say "I don't care what you voted on, YOU CAN'T SMOKE DOPE, and IM BOMBING THEM ARABS NO MATTER WHAT YOU OR THE WORLD WANTS." it pisses me off that people pick and choose what to do and what not to do, and usually what these people do decide to do is limit MY OR SOMEONEELSE'S PERSUIT OF HAPPINESS, while at the same time when something bad is happening to me they just shrug their shoulders.

Again, in case you didn't realize, the Feds CANNOT mobilize on State concerns until the State asks for Federal assistance...States CANNOT mobilize on City concerns until that city asks for assistance.

President Bush warned BOTH governments to get their # together NOW...but they failed to do so.

OK, so bush new it was going to be FUBAR, but didn't do anything because he didn't have the state's permission? how is it he can unilaterally invade and occupy another sovereign nation without permission but can't help HIS OWN PEOPLE without permission. dem sum screwwy poolitics der!

Last thing----again----FEMA is NOT a First Responder (those are Cops, Firemen, EMT). They do NOT have piles of equipment, nor drivers ... by-passing of red tape, ... FEMA usually takes up to a MONTH to respond to disasters ... If you really believe that President Bush can wave his magic wand, and things are instantly all better, means that you have NO grasp ...

well maybe if he would put qualified people in these positions(director of FEMA) rather than sticking to the Good Ol' Boy code, these folks could move a little faster. Just because these folks have been acting like novices and I we know they have, doesn't mean we should be like "you knew they are incompetant, don't be so hard on them."

...he neither can he control the weather, or predict the future. But he did know that Katrina was going to be very bad (after all, another section of the US Government told him so), and warned the USA to save themselves.

And that is what it boils down to---personal responsibility. ..
Don't gidve me the "too poor to: leave/have cars/own shoes/call a friend" excuses.... They had at least FOUR DAYS to do SOMETHING, ...winds/floods/destruction/and death.

Yes, much blame should be pointed out, especially at the Mayor and Governoo. The President had NOTHING to do with the failure of local and State governments to protect their citizens. However, he has much to do with cleaning up their mess.

I wonder why pres Bush took the blame for this obviously bad example of leadership when he never owned up to other blatanly horrible mandates and decisions? I think he knew that he couldn't deny every slip up.

[edit on 22-9-2005 by passengername]

[edit on 22-9-2005 by passengername]

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I didn't think you would understand.

President Bush took responsibility (NOT blame, do not confuse this) for actions of the Feds, because he IS our leader, that's what leaders do..

You will notice, that despite Mayor Nagin and Gov. Blanco being absolutely at fault and to blame for the wave of incompetence, lack of preparedness, and deaths of their people, THEY have NOT stepped up to acknowledge their own total failures as leaders.

Look at Texas right now. THAT is how Mayors and Governors act in an emergency.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
ok, he took responsibility. that means he didn't do something that he should have done. He didn't lead well.

and I'm not saying the mayor and gov were'nt incompetant. I'm saying this is just another example of the lack of leadership at the very head of our government.

and it's easy to say, "look at the leaders of these cities in the path of Rita" but damn, they had a good model of what not to do a coupla' weeks ago! if they didn't do anything we would all say "Hmmm?" and the fact that they are evacuating everyone is good but have you been watching the progress of this evacuation? people stranded in gridlock traffic. gas shortages. their saying their #1 priority right now is getting people who will be stranded in their CAR! of the roads before the storm hits. It's easy to say "Get everyone out of the city" but it looks like that was the extent of their "planning". I could of told them to do that, WTF do we need these people for if their not gonna do something I couldn't do?

but I guess I couldn't expect you to understand...

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
So am I to believe that Powell is admitting the government acknowledges its failures? Or, that he's pushing blame away from himself?

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
powell is no longer part of the bush admin

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join