It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: President Bush's Approval Rating Dips Below 40

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 02:01 AM
link   
According to a recent poll, President Bush's approval rating has dropped below 40 percent. The drop may be reflective of doubts about gasoline prices and the Federal governments response to the Katrina disaster. Almost 4 years ago the presidents approval ratings were over 80%. Seven out of ten people disapprove of his handling of gasoline prices and 52% disapprove of the administrations handling of the hurricane.

news.y ahoo.com
WASHINGTON - President Bush's job approval has dipped below 40 percent for the first time in the AP-Ipsos poll, reflecting widespread doubts about his handling of gasoline prices and the response to Hurricane Katrina.

Nearly four years after Bush's job approval soared into the 80s after the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, Bush was at 39 percent job approval in an AP-Ipsos poll taken this week. That's the lowest since the the poll was started in December 2003.

The public's view of the nation's direction has grown increasingly negative as well, with nearly two-thirds now saying the country is heading down the wrong track.

"As a nation, we are pretty well stretched," said Barry Allen, a political independent from Reed City, Mich. "I approve of some of the things the president has done, and disapprove of others. Overall, I disapprove."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Not surprising given the recent series of events. However if one really want to see when the decline began, it was the whole religious debacle surrounding Terri Schiavo. Many of us here at ATS and elsewhere predicted, nay hoped that that would be the zenith of the religious rights power and it may be the case now. With such low approval rating the Presidents entire second term agenda will be in jeopardy and with no political capital left, the Republicans will be lucky to cling to thier Senate and House majorities in the near term elections.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I was pointed to Snopes.com by a fellow blogger of mine ....

Sky News Ireland- Blunder or Truth?

Seems highly appropriate for this thread...

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   
No wonder... With all the unnecdcesary wars and this whole disaster in New Orleans...

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Washington -- The most expensive natural disaster in U.S. history is sucking up money at the rate of $2 billion a day -- more than the cost of the Iraq war -- and throwing an awkward spotlight on GOP efforts to extend tax cuts on dividends and capital gains and shave Medicaid spending while thousands of poor people are homeless on the Gulf Coast.

Despite Republican assurances that President Bush's second-term agenda remains on track, Hurricane Katrina has dealt a blow to his plans to overhaul Social Security and the tax code, extend his signature tax cuts, shrink the federal deficit and stay the course in Iraq.
sfgate.com.../c/a/2005/09/09/MNGQVEL1FG1.DTL

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 02:53 AM
link   
If more people come out like Dr Frank from this article I would say the approval rating will drop further.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Even though this poll reflects the views of most Americans it doesn't matter. Bush will still be president until 2008 because he was re-elected. And seeing as he cannot run again after 2008 these polls mean nothing.

The only way to get rid of Bush is for him to be impeached. Although I can see this happen eventually. Hopefully not too late.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by CPYKOmega
Even though this poll reflects the views of most Americans it doesn't matter. Bush will still be president until 2008 because he was re-elected. And seeing as he cannot run again after 2008 these polls mean nothing.

Actualy it does matter. If the Bush/Cheney/Rice/Rummsfeld Presidency is having such low approval ratings, the chances either of them get elected for anything again in 2008 is much smaller. Both Rice and Cheney have been named as posible runners in 2008 ya know.

Cheney as a candidate seems more and more unlikely to me because of his health problems, but Cordi Rice running is a very real posibility, especialy with more and more rumours going about that the Democrats will put Hilary Clinton up for the election.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Actualy it does matter. If the Bush/Cheney/Rice/Rummsfeld Presidency is having such low approval ratings, the chances either of them get elected for anything again in 2008 is much smaller. Both Rice and Cheney have been named as posible runners in 2008 ya know.

Good point thematrix. Still 2008 is a long ways away. Who knows what might happen before that. But no matter what Bush will not be running. With things as crazy as they are today who knows. It may come down to Rice vs Clinton for the end vote. I highly doubt it though. One thing that comes to mind is Arnold Swarzenegger (sp) for 2008.

I know he cannot legally run because they would have to amend the constitution to do so. But who knows? The constitution as of today has been nearly nullified from existence. (Patriot act)

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 05:09 AM
link   
That would be one heck of a presidential Race.

Republicans: Arnold Schwartsenegger
Democrats: Jean-Claude Van Damme
Green: Rudger Hower
Libertarians: Sylvester Stalone
Constitutionalists: Dolf Lundgren

(I'm just pulling the party affiliations out of my hiny :p)

Anyone ever notice that apart from Bruce Willis, nearly all really famous action hero's in US movies are either foreign or black?

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I really can't see Condi Rice having much of a chance.... Of course, in a Condi vs. Hillary race, my choice would be "none of the above"... (one's completely incompetent, the other's a disrespectful bitch riding her hubby's coattails)

Though, that way may actually be the way we get a Libertarian in office, who knows?

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Though, that way may actually be the way we get a Libertarian in office, who knows?

Gazrok 2008! Now that would be something America needs

top topics

join