It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Hurricane Ophelia News

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 12:14 AM
link   
While projections have shown that hurricane Orphelia will not threaten the already devastated gulf of Mexico, it seems she is heading straight for the South Carolina Forida region and will make landfall sometime midweek. Hurricane Orphelia was first upgraded to a category one hurricane yesterday but then was downgraded back to tropical storm but gained force overnight to be reclassified back to Category 1 Hurricane status.

today.reuters.com
Ophelia regained hurricane strength Friday on a course expected to swing toward the Atlantic Coast, and forecasters urged residents from northern Florida to the Carolinas keep close watch on its path over the next few days.

The Category 1 storm had sustained winds of 75 mph Friday night. It was moving northeast at near 9 mph and was expected to continue on that track through Saturday.

Forecasters said Ophelia has been hard to predict. It could go out to sea, but it may also head anywhere from north Florida to North Carolina.

Most of our best indicators suggest that it will move back to the west and approach the southeast United States coast. However, it is much to soon to know if landfall along the
Florida has been hit by two hurricanes this year and six in the past 13 months. Many residents have already stocked up on batteries, water and nonperishable food.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Forecasters are saying that the hurricanes path is hard to predict. At 11pm EDT time Ophelia was about 225 miles off Daytona Beach and 240 miles off Charleston, South Carolina.

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Having actually weathered a few Cat 1 hurricane outside (once, I was at the local renaissance festival as it passed through, out in an open area near the jousting arena - though it may have been declassified to a tropical storm at that point), and once while on a boat, I can pretty safely say that while they can cause damage, to those who are experienced with them, they're really pretty easy to wait out. A week's supply of batteries and non-perishables is always a good thing, and unless you're in an area that's rather prone to flooding (and doesn't have levees in place), the damage caused is typically limited to a few power outages and some minor flooding.

The last one I weathered was two years ago, here in Baltimore. There was some moderate flooding in Baltimore's downtown (about 2 feet of water along the harborside streets - caused by the storm surge). The flooding receeded quickly after the storm, and cleanup was complete within a few days. The biggest problem I experienced due to the storm was a brief power outage, and the fact that the insurance company wouldn't issue a new policy on the house I was buying at the time (the house I'm living in now) due to the storm. My new house never actually lost power, and even with a leaky roof and back door, there was absolutely no water damage to the house.

This said, a category 1 hurricane is really nothing to worry about, and prepping for a Cat 1 is about the same as prepping for a major snowstorm. More often than not, the preparations will ultimately prove unneeded, yet it's better to be prepared.

Katrina, this certainly isn't.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I doubt Ophelia will amount to much...unless they decide to fire up HAARP

[edit on 9/10/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Ophelia is getting less and less impressive as a storm. It's actually losing it's organization it sounds like. The latest discussion by the NHC is from 11pm EDT Friday, and it sounds like it will barely be a storm if it comes ashore at the rate it's going, although they're expecting a trough to move in and push it back out to sea. The earliest it may make landfall IF that happens is 72-96 hours. It could become as high as a category three, but they're having a lot of problems predicting this one.

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

[edit on 10-9-2005 by Zaphod58]

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   

The AGE Subscription Required free
Hurricane Ophelia inched toward the US East Coast, prompting forecasters to place parts of two Atlantic states on a hurricane watch and the governor of North Carolina to declare a state of emergency.

Local officials issued a mandatory evacuation order for non-residents on the low-lying vacation island of Ocracoke on the North Carolina Outer Banks.

The watch issued by the National Hurricane Centre in Miami cautioned millions of residents that fierce winds and other hurricane conditions were possible within 36 hours along America's southeastern coast from the Savannah River in South Carolina to Cape Lookout in North Carolina.

Sustained winds had been gauged as high as 128km/h within Ophelia, which was near latitude 31.8 north and longitude 76.2 west, or some 365km east-southeast of Charleston, South Carolina, at 5pm (0700 AEST), according to a hurricane centre advisory.

"Ophelia has been meandering mainly toward the north near 2 mph (3km/h). Little motion is anticipated tonight or Sunday," forecasters in Miami said.
AdvertisementAdvertisement

The forecasters, who said the hurricane watch may be extended further north, described Ophelia as a large category 1 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson scale that was unlikely to strengthen significantly during the next 24 hours.

top topics

join