It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Debit Cards for Survivors will no longer be Issued

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
What if they don't have bank accounts, or can't get bank accounts.

*sigh*

I'm so worried about these people
They need to be placed in homes and apartments as quickly as possible.

Most if they were on SSI or welfare (AT least in California, not sure about LA they have to use direct deposite)

In regards to getting people into rental homes and apartments. We own a 4 brm. home in San Jose as a rental property. We do accept Section 8 housing assistance where the county pays a percentage of the rent. In the SF Bay Area this is not a trivial amount. The money goes directly to the property management company and the tenant is responsable for the rest. Contrary to what you might think we have waaaay less trouble with the section 8 tennants than others.

Perhaps FEMA works the same way? I spent a bit looking over the site and can find no mention of what they do if you do not have a bank account, but it does mention:

How long will it take to get FEMA/State disaster help? If you are eligible for help, you should receive
a U.S. Treasury/State check or notification of a deposit to your bank account within about ten
days of the inspector’s visit. Other types of help may be provided later, based on specific eligibility
www.fema.gov...

So they can get a check mailed to them. Ill bet most banks will cash them as the negative PR would be something they could do without. Or as a last resort a check cashing service could be used.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Let me tell you what. If I had just been through what these brave people have somehow survived, and I was given some money to use as I pleased, after I took care of the immediate needs of my family and surviving loved ones, it would not be beneath me to go and have a couple of libations of one sort or another (depending on individual preference, of course). I might even tie one on, get three sheets to the wind, completely unravel for an hour or two, whatever you want to call it. Strictly for medicinal purposes, you see. Then it would be straight back to the job at hand.

The SAR choppers in 'Nam carried a ration or two of bourbon for the downed pilots they rescued from the jungles of SEA, didn't they? After everybody was safe and sound, they'd give the rescued pilot a belt, if he didn't have injuries that required stronger stuff. How is this any different? Is it somehow a crime to have a drink on W? Give me a break!

I sincerely doubt any of these people are out partying 'til the wee hours of the morning or anything like that, and if they are engaging in illegal activity, they are being irresponsible and risk getting arrested just like anybody else would. It is no reason to suspend the program.

[edit on 10-9-2005 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
maybe this is better...

if they still used the cards, then 5 (adult) members of a 7 person family could each get their own card, when each family is only supposed to get one only...

on the other hand, you need "ID" to get the card, so this is a problem too...

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
If taking care of the poor had been a priority, there would have been a plan, and the glitches would have been forseen and handled - by a team of psychologists, social workers, and the like. ...The "Problem of New Orleans" has been documented and analyzed up the wazoo for decades - from the anticipated major hurricane, to its anticipated effects, to the FULLY expected impact on the city's population.

IMO - the poor of New Orleans never were a priority - the refugees are "acceptable" collateral damage - and there never was and is not now any commitment to deal with them responsibly. They will be "cared for" as long as the headlines keep them in the public eye, but then they'll be cut loose.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join